Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

My dream has died but been reborn!!!

My dream has died but been reborn!!!

Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dream has died

Jeff, my OH earns $56k per year and we can manage to pay our mortgage (we have $225k). I don't earn anything yet either.

The only difference I can see is that you would have to pay for childcare, which we don't and there is two of you and four of us.

You will get help with family tax credit, and also rent allowance (obviously while you are renting).

Also try looking at building instead of buying established and if you can't afford Brisbane, then come to South Australia. You can build here for around $200k in a nice area.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

It snows in south australia doesn't it?

I don't do snow!

Would i have to be in oz for a certain time before i qualified for family tax credit and rent allowance?

jazzys
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Jeff, my OH earns $56k per year and we can manage to pay our mortgage (we have $225k). I don't earn anything yet either.

The only difference I can see is that you would have to pay for childcare, which we don't and there is two of you and four of us.

You will get help with family tax credit, and also rent allowance (obviously while you are renting).

Also try looking at building instead of buying established and if you can't afford Brisbane, then come to South Australia. You can build here for around $200k in a nice area.
$200k? I presume that doesn't include the land... Is it more expensive near/in/around Adelaide?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys

I don't do snow!

Would i have to be in oz for a certain time before i qualified for family tax credit and rent allowance?

jazzys

No snow here, if there was I wouldn't be here

If you have a PR 136 visa (or any other PR visa) then there is no waiting period for them.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
$200k? I presume that doesn't include the land... Is it more expensive near/in/around Adelaide?

There's new developments both in the North and South with house and land packages for less than $200k

There's one advertisement, saying house and land from $198 per week. Haven't looked into them, but I'd imaging that is for a basic house on a small block, with no extra's. They even offer to pay your rent for 12 weeks while it's being built.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
There's new developments both in the North and South with house and land packages for less than $200k

There's one advertisement, saying house and land from $198 per week. Haven't looked into them, but I'd imaging that is for a basic house on a small block, with no extra's. They even offer to pay your rent for 12 weeks while it's being built.
Blimey, cheap as chips!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:54 am
Banned

lizard of oz is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't do snow!

jazzys
it deos'nt snow in south australia, it only snows in victoria, NSW and tasmania mainly in the mountain areas
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

so how much family credit and rent allowance would i be entitled to wendy?

Jazzys
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jazzys

It's means tested, so would depend on your wage and rent really. It's about $500 per fortnight on $45k (that's a wild educated guess )
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:14 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Jazzys
Hi Jazzy
Hope this may help you...www.familyassist.gov.au maybe you could get an idea from the site and www.realestate.com.au for housing....
Good luck
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Blimey, I'm stuck already.

Should i get Family tax benefit A, Family tax benefit B, Child care benefit, Rent assistance or all of them?

Jazzys
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Blimey, I'm stuck already.

Should i get Family tax benefit A, Family tax benefit B, Child care benefit, Rent assistance or all of them?

Jazzys
You can get Family Tax Benefit A, and family tax benefit B if you are a single parent. Also Rent Assitance.

Not sure about Child care benefit.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, read these links:

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...faq2-faq2b.htm
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...q10-faq10a.htm
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...faq2-faq2d.htm

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...faq2-faq2c.htm
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...le_parents.htm
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...faq2-faq2e.htm

You are eligible for ALL of these if you move here as a single parent on a PR visa.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks a million Wendy, but where do you get the 500 dollars a fortnight bit from?

I read it as more like 500 ish a month.

jazzys
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks a million Wendy, but where do you get the 500 dollars a fortnight bit from?

I read it as more like 500 ish a month.

jazzys

That's rent and family assistance. I worked it out ages ago, and it came out based on $45k earnings that our rent would be nearly paid once every fortnight.

Like I said, it's an educated wild guess. I will be having our tax return done soon so will be able to answer a lot better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.