Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

my 72 yr old mum and emails....lol!

my 72 yr old mum and emails....lol!

Old Dec 17th 2005, 1:22 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default my 72 yr old mum and emails....lol!

just thought id share this with you all.
my 72 yr old mum god bless her decided last year that she was going to keep up with all this new technology, bought a computer and got herself on the internet. Shes been learning as shes gone along, so im quite amazed at what she has achieved in such a short time.
however, i had to chuckle at her earlier today.
i nipped round to put her new ink cartridge in the printer, and whilst i was there she asked me to enable a pop up blocker for her, which i did. whilst there and to test the popup blocker i asked if i could look at my emails (I was waiting for one from a friend in the us). i logged in and turned to ask her something, when at the top of her voice she shrieked
"youve got an email from bob geldof!!! i didnt know you knew him!?"

when id finally stopped laughing i explained i subscribed to make poverty history, live8 etc...and that these were just emails from the charitys....not from THE bob geldof himself.

bless her, she nearly fainted on the spot when she thought i knew bob geldof
Old Dec 17th 2005, 2:36 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: my 72 yr old mum and emails....lol!

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
my 72 yr old mum god bless her decided last year that she was going to keep up with all this new technology, bought a computer and got herself on the internet. Shes been learning as shes gone along, so im quite amazed at what she has achieved in such a short time.
i nipped round to put her new ink cartridge in the printer, and whilst i was there she asked me to enable a pop up blocker for her, which i did. whilst there and to test the popup blocker i asked if i could look at my emails (I was waiting for one from a friend in the us). i logged in and turned to ask her something, when at the top of her voice she shrieked

when id finally stopped laughing i explained i subscribed to make poverty history, live8 etc...and that these were just emails from the charitys....not from THE bob geldof himself.

Good on her, couldn't see my mum even attempting this. The other day at work, one of the guys I work with phone went, and it was a text from his 82 year old Gran, he had bought her a phone when he moved here from London, ahhhhhhh bless I was dieing to ask to read it, but felt that would be a bit cheeky
Old Dec 17th 2005, 4:05 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: my 72 yr old mum and emails....lol!

I tried to get my Dad to use email, not least because I spend a lot of time printing out emails from all his friends overseas and posting them to him. I set him up with a hotmail account and showed him how to use it on any PC, said he could go down to the internet caff in his High Street and get them.

Next time I saw him I asked if he'd done that, he said "Oh yes I went down to the shop but they said they didnt have any letters for me!!!!!!!"

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

AND now he says he wants to buy a digital camera cos his friends got one!!! I've said he can have one of them once he's learned to work the video!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 17th 2005, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

God bless her
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:03 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets hope she doesn't get an email from a wealthy Nigerian wishing to deposit a couple of million $'s in her account...

The former president of nigeria just sent me an email asking if I'd help him sneak $125 million out of his country.

I'm still thinking about it.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Mrs_O is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't they just so sweet! My 82 year old grandmother also wanted a computer (what for? you got me) Hmm..I hope no one gave her the idea of meeting people online She also has her cell phone, now she wants to upgrade and have the camera phone. Oh yes and she even beat me on getting a plasma TV, she loves her novellas-soap operas! I hope I am as hip as they are when I get to that point. You gotta love them!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:05 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

This is a big concern of ours aswell!!

When we ship off next year we would like to stay in touch with C's folks via email, send photos etc......BUT

1. They cant even work their telly
2. I had to show them how to turn the hob they have had for 2 years, on the other day!
3. As far as her dad is concerned, the internet is called eBay!!
4. An email address is known as an eBay number!!

I give up!

Does anyone know of an idiot proof computer you can buy that will JUST allow them access to the web and email?

Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
This is a big concern of ours aswell!!

When we ship off next year we would like to stay in touch with C's folks via email, send photos etc......BUT

1. They cant even work their telly
2. I had to show them how to turn the hob they have had for 2 years, on the other day!
3. As far as her dad is concerned, the internet is called eBay!!
4. An email address is known as an eBay number!!

I give up!

Does anyone know of an idiot proof computer you can buy that will JUST allow them access to the web and email?

There's always the Amstrad emailer -

http://www.amstrad.com/emailer_plus.html

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:47 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
There's always the Amstrad emailer -

http://www.amstrad.com/emailer_plus.html

Cheers

Buzzy
Yeah, we had considered that Buzzy........the issue is though that we would not be able to send digital photo attachments with the email.
Has anyone got/ used one of these things? We were thinking if we could upload the images to the web then they may be able to view them that way using the Amstrad emailer web browser......? Bit worried about the quality though and the fact that the screen appears to be monochrome?

Any advice appreciated.....
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:53 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Yeah, we had considered that Buzzy........the issue is though that we would not be able to send digital photo attachments with the email.
That seems to be the disadvantage....plus it's only £29 but there seems to be a connection fee of some kind.....

Yes, anyone any experience?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

however, i had to chuckle at her earlier today...
Ai - lol - they do pick it up though. I got my dad (in his 70s) up to speed on computers and now he even does his banking online. When I first gave him the PC I'd made for him, he phoned me up saying he needed to get a longer mouse lead. I asked him why, and he said he'd run out of desk. I pointed out that he could pick the mouse up and put it back on the matt and he was like 'oh, that's great, thanks son'. lol. The one that cracks me up is when you see people typing the full url for a site into the Google search window! They don't seem to get the idea of the address bar!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:22 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
he phoned me up saying he needed to get a longer mouse lead. I asked him why, and he said he'd run out of desk. I pointed out that he could pick the mouse up and put it back on the matt and he was like 'oh, that's great, thanks son'. lol. !

pmsl!!!!