Mozzies!

Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:25 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mozzies!

Anybody know any good treatments to put on once the little blighters have bitten?

Also anyone found anything good to stop them biting in the first place?

...answers on a postcard
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mozzies!

Was told that vitamin B supplements taken regularly help stop the little darlings from making a meal of you...

I can guarentee that if a toe or hand is out from under the covers and theirs a mozzie in the room i'll get bitten

Think some one said summit about rubbing half a potato on the bite and then making chips out of it and feeding them to the other half.... Failing that one of the OTC creams with menthol helps...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I use red tiger balm on bites. Aeroguard or Rid repellants, or there are some natural types available. You can also buy citronella candles to burn outside, or grow some citronella plants outside.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Anybody know any good treatments to put on once the little blighters have bitten?

...answers on a postcard
DEET products, such as Aeroguard, are the only thing that really works at keeping them off. All the other suggestions are more 'modern myth' than actually effective.

As for treatment after they have bitten... well I've tried plenty and the thing that works best for me is Sensodyne toothpaste !!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:32 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
DEET products, such as Aeroguard, are the only thing that really works at keeping them off. All the other suggestions are more 'modern myth' than actually effective.

As for treatment after they have bitten... well I've tried plenty and the thing that works best for me is Sensodyne toothpaste !!

I have really bad reactions to mozzie bites, the whole area swells up - no matter what you use, you have to use it straight away. I find putting an ice cube in a plastic bag and leaving it on the bite for as long as I can stand it stops the inflammation in its tracks. Also, because the site is numb you don't get the unbearable itch, and not scratching is half the battle.

I have to agree about Aeroguard.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I use calamine lotion if I can't get hold of Stop Itch. I prefer to jump in the pool to reduce the itching- cooling the affected area helps.

I use aeroguard, or "Off" which is supplied at work, but aeroguard is better.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I have really bad reactions to mozzie bites, the whole area swells up - no matter what you use, you have to use it straight away. I find putting an ice cube in a plastic bag and leaving it on the bite for as long as I can stand it stops the inflammation in its tracks. Also, because the site is numb you don't get the unbearable itch, and not scratching is half the battle.

I have to agree about Aeroguard.
Ice defo works as well... don't know about you, but mine always seem to start to itch again in the early evenings, sometimes for days. That's where the toothpaste comes in.

I'm also nowhere near as reactive to the bites as I was five years ago, when I first got here. It does seem that you do build up some immunity to the bites...though they still itch like sin at times.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:02 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Ice defo works as well... don't know about you, but mine always seem to start to itch again in the early evenings, sometimes for days. That's where the toothpaste comes in.

I'm also nowhere near as reactive to the bites as I was five years ago, when I first got here. It does seem that you do build up some immunity to the bites...though they still itch like sin at times.
I'll have to try the toothpaste

I've always been attractive to insects! We've been here 3 years now - my first year was hell, I think I constantly had at least one hugely swollen area (omg knuckle bites are the worst).

The last 6 months I've probably only had 3 or 4 really bad bites, so I'm hopeful that this immunity theory is starting to work out.

I'm still getting bit by some other kind of flying insect - it leaves very small, very hard itchy spots that are a bloody nightmare.

I'm itching now just thinking about it, lol.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I've always been attractive to insects! We've been here 3 years now - my first year was hell, I think I constantly had at least one hugely swollen area (omg knuckle bites are the worst).

The last 6 months I've probably only had 3 or 4 really bad bites, so I'm hopeful that this immunity theory is starting to work out.

I'm still getting bit by some other kind of flying insect - it leaves very small, very hard itchy spots that are a bloody nightmare.

Toothpaste is great especially crest for some reason. Good luck....
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

I was bitten the other week by something that looked like a gigantic, red coloured, bluebottle fly. No idea what it was....but boy did that itch.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

...answers on a postcard
We use the mosquito clicker and swear by it. I was a little skeptical at first, but it really works, a few clicks and the irritation goes in a couple of minutes.

http://www.mosquitoclick.com/
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

...answers on a postcard
Hand sanitizer from Aldi. Came across this by acident but it works far better than anything else I've tried. Put some on and 15 minutes later the mozzie bite is gone, no itching, nothing.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:42 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was bitten the other week by something that looked like a gigantic, red coloured, bluebottle fly. No idea what it was....but boy did that itch.
Good
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Take an antihistamine tablet, it relieves the itching.

Telfast 180, at about 50 cents per tablet, is the one I use. It also helps with hayfever (What it was designed for)

...answers on a postcard
Move to the UK
or
Stand next to a few new arrivals to the country, the mozzies seem to prefer new blood.

Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:20 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

...answers on a postcard
I can second vitamin B supplements ... they do turn your wee a funny colour though ... oh, is it only me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.