Moving to partners home country

Wikiposts

Moving to partners home country

Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to partners home country

Hello

Thread title says it all really. Just wondered if any of you have emmigrated to live in your husband / wifes / partners home country.

How did you cope with being the newbie (whilst your partner settled in straight away) mixing with their friends, coping with inlaws etc etc..

I'm cheating a bit as I'm actually moving to South Africa, my husbands home country but the South Africa thread is seriously quiet - I have lived in Oz for a bit though and you seem a friendly bunch! I'm also looking for personal rather than country specific throughts..

I'm nervous as even after 8 years in the UK my husband is still very close with his South African friends and whenever we go over for holidays its straight into BBQs, golf etc.. which is great but I have a feeling I'm going to be a bit of a billy no mates. I'm really hoping I'll make some friends of my own rather than be reliant on his friends wives and girlfriends (lovely though they are). I'm also wondering how I'll cope living round the corner from the in laws whereas they used to be nice 12 hour flight hour away...

Any advice gratefully received
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to partners home country

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Hello

Thread title says it all really. Just wondered if any of you have emmigrated to live in your husband / wifes / partners home country.

How did you cope with being the newbie (whilst your partner settled in straight away) mixing with their friends, coping with inlaws etc etc..

I'm cheating a bit as I'm actually moving to South Africa, my husbands home country but the South Africa thread is seriously quiet - I have lived in Oz for a bit though and you seem a friendly bunch! I'm also looking for personal rather than country specific throughts..

I'm nervous as even after 8 years in the UK my husband is still very close with his South African friends and whenever we go over for holidays its straight into BBQs, golf etc.. which is great but I have a feeling I'm going to be a bit of a billy no mates. I'm really hoping I'll make some friends of my own rather than be reliant on his friends wives and girlfriends (lovely though they are). I'm also wondering how I'll cope living round the corner from the in laws whereas they used to be nice 12 hour flight hour away...

Any advice gratefully received

Can't help cos I've never been in that situation. But I'd suggest posting this in the main Australia forum. This is really just for chatting and talking rubbish.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WendyC
Can't help cos I've never been in that situation. But I'd suggest posting this in the main Australia forum. This is really just for chatting and talking rubbish.
Ahhaaa - OK thanks - not sure how to do that but will have bash!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:11 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have kind of done this. I moved back to England (lived in Australia from age 8) anyway, I moved back to England at the age of 24 (1999) to be with my partner who is British (Indian by birth...but this is getting confusing)

Anyway, I always felt British but my goodness, I was in for a shock!! I had no real knowledge of living in England, and it was a long time before I felt settled & made good friends. Even so, most of my mates, actually make that all of them, are from work so we don't always meet up out of work unless it's drinks or a meal straight from work. My partner meanwhile has his mates who he sees fairly often - whilst I sit at home, very much the billy no mates!!

We are moving back to Australia (his visa permitting) in Nov/Dec. and the shoe will be on the other foot, because he will have to make friends, etc whilst I'll have my friends & family around me.

Good Luck in your move!! Just be sure to join in! Meet your partner's friends wives and partners - sometimes you can make good friends, just from that.