Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moving to oz next year - any tips?

Wikiposts

Moving to oz next year - any tips?

Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

emsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud of
Default Moving to oz next year - any tips?

Hi

I recently got my defacto spouse visa - woo hoo. Now I'm trying to sort out what I need to do before I emigrate next year.

Has anyone got any tips or other threads they can recommend looking. I'm just not sure what to do about things like driving licences, tax etc
Do I need to inform everyone that i'm emigrating?

Sorry i know this sounds dumb but apart from the obvious closing down bank accounts and bills etc I'm not sure who else I should be informing.

Any tips/recommendations would be great!!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:00 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to oz next year - any tips?

Originally Posted by emsie
Hi

I recently got my defacto spouse visa - woo hoo. Now I'm trying to sort out what I need to do before I emigrate next year.

Has anyone got any tips or other threads they can recommend looking. I'm just not sure what to do about things like driving licences, tax etc

Sorry i know this sounds dumb but apart from the obvious closing down bank accounts and bills etc I'm not sure who else I should be informing.

Hiya......
Think you may get more response if it was in the immigration forum, maybe one of the mods will move it for you????.............
Ive just put in an application for a spouse visa too!!!! C x
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:26 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is use the search facility here... Just about anything you can think of has already been discussed... Have a look and if there's stuff you're not sure about then drop a post, someone will help you out...
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:14 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emsie
Hi

Let the inland revenue know that you're emigrating and then arrange your last electricity, gas, water bills to be sent through - although I'm sure they'll want a forwarding address to cover any services you use between paying 'the last bill' and you actually vacating your property.

Either close your bank account down or leave it open and give them a new address.

Telling family is optional.

Once in Australia do all this: http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...irst/index.htm

Leave it two years and then start to moan about crap it is here

R
Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

More tips than you can shake a stick at!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

matsar is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't do it, I've been her for 24 years and I still yearn for England.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

emsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud ofemsie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by matsar

Thanks for all the tips - they're great
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:58 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matsar
Well that's a bit of a blanket statement - everyone is different! Why have you not moved back if you're still wanting to come home after 24 years? :eek
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:25 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Well that's a bit of a blanket statement - everyone is different! Why have you not moved back if you're still wanting to come home after 24 years? :eek
Wow ..... and to think this poster sounds just like another new poster who appeared and promptly disappeared after a few negative posts just a few weeks ago....tisk...who would have thought!?!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:28 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Wow ..... and to think this poster sounds just like another new poster who appeared and promptly disappeared after a few negative posts just a few weeks ago....tisk...who would have thought!?!
Ooh you're soooo suspicious
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

matsar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clippies

Well it's really very complex but basically you become trapped. Firstly you try to achieve all of the financial expectations, like buying a house. Then you start a family and that makes things very difficult, particularly once they start school. Then before you know it ten years have gone past and you can't afford to return because the xchange rate is so diabolical.
I have travelled back to England on many occassions and I would go back tomorrow if I could!