Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moving out...rental agent demanding steam clean?

Moving out...rental agent demanding steam clean?

Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:04 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all
Question Moving out...rental agent demanding steam clean?

Hi all

We have moved out of our old apartment and they will inspect on Wednesday. We have done a full clean and left it all in the state we have found it, if not cleaner.

However, the rental agent just told my partner that as they steam cleaned the carpet before we moved in, we HAVE to pay for one to come and clean it before Wednesday. I get the whole 'leave it in the state you found it' requirement.

However...the reason they had to have it steam cleaned is because the previous tenant left giant dirty stains all over the carpet including big wood stains from a desk which still hasn't come out anyway.

Is it our fault they had to steam clean it before? I've heard you aren't legally obliged to get it steam cleaned. But she used the 'it was done before you moved in' line to say we had to do it.

If we need to, then fine. But we're feeling a bit gipped given we have left it perfectly as we have found it (except for small bathroom mould due to them not fixing the extractor fan, and a scratch caused by one of their workers on the wood floor, which I'm hoping they won't try to get us on....)

Thanks for any help!

lerato
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:06 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving out...rental agent demanding steam clean?

I think its quite common, we had to pay for our carpets to be cleaned as well which they took out of the bond but they did warn us in the beginning so it wasnt a shock.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

This is extremely common. You most certainly will find a clause regarding cleaning of carpets when vacating in your rental lease under 'vacating' or similar. I have never rented through a real estate agent and not had to have all carpets professionally cleaned before leaving. And the key word here is 'professionally'. We have always had to provide the receipt from the carpet cleaners to the agent so they could check it was done this way and we had not done the job ourselves.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:21 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi all

We have moved out of our old apartment and they will inspect on Wednesday. We have done a full clean and left it all in the state we have found it, if not cleaner.

However, the rental agent just told my partner that as they steam cleaned the carpet before we moved in, we HAVE to pay for one to come and clean it before Wednesday. I get the whole 'leave it in the state you found it' requirement.

However...the reason they had to have it steam cleaned is because the previous tenant left giant dirty stains all over the carpet including big wood stains from a desk which still hasn't come out anyway.

Is it our fault they had to steam clean it before? I've heard you aren't legally obliged to get it steam cleaned. But she used the 'it was done before you moved in' line to say we had to do it.

If we need to, then fine. But we're feeling a bit gipped given we have left it perfectly as we have found it (except for small bathroom mould due to them not fixing the extractor fan, and a scratch caused by one of their workers on the wood floor, which I'm hoping they won't try to get us on....)

Thanks for any help!

lerato
Yep, happened to me too..
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Us too, except the carpets were so old the steam cleaner guy said they would fall apart if he cleaned them. It would have cost us $300 to clean them so we gave him $150 to not do anything but to write out the receipt for $300.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:28 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Carpets are disgusting dirty things - especially as most people walk onto them with the shoes they've been using outside. I think this rule is one of the few good things about renting in Australia - the carpets are professionally cleaned before and after a tenancy.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:24 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi all

Thanks for any help!

lerato
Is it in your rental agreement?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:15 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We had to have ours steam cleaned. This was particularly annoying because we only had a short term rental of 4 months, and we only lived there for 3.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:43 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's annoying about it?

When you go in to a new home you expect it to be clean - yes? The cleaners come in and clean everything (and then of course you clean their work as you know they've used the same cloth for the toilet as they have for the kitchen work surfaces etc etc etc).

I know I have a bee in my bonnet about carpets but I think they are so dirty. I never walk into someone's house with my shoes on however most people do. They've trailed through dogsh!t, spitting, bird1shit, dirty water etc etc.

You only have to look at how dirty lino, wood, whatever solid floor surface you have gets, to realise how dirty carpets are.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

Originally Posted by No 15
I know I have a bee in my bonnet about carpets but I think they are so dirty. I never walk into someone's house with my shoes on however most people do. They've trailed through dogsh!t, spitting, bird1shit, dirty water etc etc.
Try looking where you walk....and get a life!!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by No 15
What's annoying about it?
It was annoying because we were only there for 3 months but mostly because they never once mentioned having them done when we signed the lease. That's why it was annoying.

No issues with carpets being cleaned on moving out though. I agree they get very dirty and can never understand why people wear shoes in the house. I'm used to the Canadian way where people automatically take off shoes when they come in whether you have carpet or not. So for this reason I paid for the carpet cleaning because I knew I would want it done if I was living there next. I was annoyed because it was a surprise and we were there for such a short period of time.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:34 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
It was annoying because we were only there for 3 months but mostly because they never once mentioned having them done when we signed the lease. That's why it was annoying.

No issues with carpets being cleaned on moving out though. I agree they get very dirty and can never understand why people wear shoes in the house. I'm used to the Canadian way where people automatically take off shoes when they come in whether you have carpet or not. So for this reason I paid for the carpet cleaning because I knew I would want it done if I was living there next. I was annoyed because it was a surprise and we were there for such a short period of time.
Having rented 6 properties in 10 years, I can assure you this is standard practice and most like stated so in you lease. If not in your lease then your property report would say "carpets steam cleaned" which means as you move out it should be in same condition (therefore steam cleaned) at exit bar wear and tear.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by teza
Having rented 6 properties in 10 years, I can assure you this is standard practice and most like stated so in you lease. If not in your lease then your property report would say "carpets steam cleaned" which means as you move out it should be in same condition (therefore steam cleaned) at exit bar wear and tear.
In NSW, it is not a legal requirement to have your carpets cleaned...check your lease and trading standards.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:00 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
In NSW, it is not a legal requirement to have your carpets cleaned...check your lease and trading standards.
Sorry but in WA all my leases have stated carpets must be in the same condition as when moving in, minus wear and tear. Three kids do leave their marks so carpet cleaning was needed. Would think after 10 yrs of renting I would know what I have to do? For the record, I have always received full bond back, including from one house we rented for 6 yrs and as said, three kids leave their mark. I've had property managers from hell, some absolutely useless ones, some who barely knew what they where doing, and some that went through every bit of the house. Carpets though, I can understand that, especially in WA (can't speak for other states), if I move into a house with fully cleaned carpets (as per standard in WA), I expect the same in my next house and therefore will do the same for the house I am exiting.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by teza
Would think after 10 yrs of renting I would know what I have to do?
Well interestingly, most people in NSW don't challenge it at all because they simply don't know it's not legal. But they should.
Regardless, it is not legal to make a tenant clean their carpets. It is the responsibility of the landlord and the cost is theirs alone.
Other states should check their legislation on the matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.