Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Moving money from UK to Australia

Moving money from UK to Australia

Old May 23rd 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Moving money from UK to Australia

I know this thread has been done before but I would like to know how to move money from my UK bank account to my Australian Bank. Who do I use and how do I go about it.

Thanks in advance

Barney
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money from UK to Australia

Originally Posted by POW148
I know this thread has been done before but I would like to know how to move money from my UK bank account to my Australian Bank. Who do I use and how do I go about it.

Thanks in advance

Barney
Personally - register with www.tranzfers.com move the money to their UK account, they transfer it to here and pay it into your Aussie account. Its about £7 to do it, takes 2-3 days UK to Aus.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It depends on how much money you're moving. For smaller amounts then there's Transferz as Pollyana mentioned. Or you could use their sister company Ozforex for larger amounts. We've used Ozforex a bunch of times and have always been happy with the rates and speed.

As you've seen these threads before you'll know there are other companies as well but Transferz and Ozforex usually get recommended the most.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:00 am
Just Joined

scotgirl1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by POW148

Thanks in advance

Barney
We are moving to Oz from Scotland in a few weeks. We set up a London transfer account with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. We transfer money from our domestic account into there, and click that we want to transfer to oz. The bank then activate an account in oz for our money. We just pick up the cards etc when we get there. It costs £15 per transfer.

However, our removal guys told us it is easier to take your uk cheque book with you and write yourself a cheque and pay it into your oz account. That way you don't pay any fees. This seems to be common practise, and it is something we will try. Hope this helps.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotgirl1
However, our removal guys told us it is easier to take your uk cheque book with you and write yourself a cheque and pay it into your oz account. That way you don't pay any fees. This seems to be common practise, and it is something we will try. Hope this helps.
Doesn't look like a good option to me. International clearing would be slow and there are always costs, even if sometimes they are hidden in a poor exchange rate.

I would recommend Ozforex too, the exchange rates we got were very good.
Old May 24th 2011, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Doesn't look like a good option to me. International clearing would be slow and there are always costs, even if sometimes they are hidden in a poor exchange rate.

I would recommend Ozforex too, the exchange rates we got were very good.
Yep, Ozforex for me too.

No fee, fabulous exchange rate and the money was in the bank within 24 hours.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotgirl1
That's about the worst thing to do. It's not common practice, it will cost you heaps in fees/charges and take weeks.

Don't think taking financial advice from removal guys is a smart idea.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
That's about the worst thing to do. It's not common practice, it will cost you heaps in fees/charges and take weeks.

Don't think taking financial advice from removal guys is a smart idea.
Can't be that common, it doesn't get mentioned on here!! Sounds like a very odd way of doing things
Old May 24th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

If I recommend OxForex again will they send me another Christmas present like last year?
Old May 24th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

And another recommendation for Ozforex and Tranzfers. They are the same company, Tranzfers is for smaller amounts and Ozforex for larger (from memory I think anything above $2,000 counts as "large").

Unless things have changed, they are part of Macquarie Bank.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I've never heard of anyone writing cheques from a UK bank. It would definitely not be something I would try unless I spoke with the bank first to see if there would be holds and what the rates typically are.

I had to deposit a cheque from Canada once and they told me overseas cheques took about 6 weeks to clear, I think the UK ones were probably quicker though. All in all the cheque took 5 weeks and the rates were really crappy. So I'd steer clear of cheques if you wanted the money quickly.