Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

moving to hills district sydney. which high school

moving to hills district sydney. which high school

Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:57 am
crt
Just Joined

crt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nice
Default moving to hills district sydney. which high school

Hi, we are moving to sydney in the hills district, have looked at a few locations, baulkham hills, castle hill, kellyville, rouse hill. Can't seem to find much info on what high schools are the better ones in the area. Have emailed a few schools to be told to secure a house first and see what high school is in the area. However after spending a long time to deciding which high school to send my daughter in uk. i would prefer not to do pot luck. Does anyone know which high schools are the best ones and which ones to defo stay clear from. So we can look for rentals in that area. i would so grateful for more info on this topic.

i thank you all in advanced.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all
Default Re: moving to hills district sydney. which high school

The following are in the Castle Hill area, as the crow flies.

(i.e.) not in the immediate area, but within travelling distance.

They have all got exceptionally excellent reputations:

1) Hornsby Girls' High School in Hornsby

http://www.hornsbygir-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/

2) Ravenswood School for Girls in Gordon

http://www.ravenswood.nsw.edu.au/Hom...wood-Home.aspx

3) Loreto in Normanhurst

http://www.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/

Hornsby High is a selective public school, and I believe the other two are private. Not 100% sure though, so read their websites.
Old May 1st 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

There are many good high schools in the Hills District. Top 2 schools in the HSC James Ruse and Baulkham Hills High, both public but are selective. The list is long for both public and private but all have websites. Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, Kellyville, Rouse Hill(new, opened 2009), Model Farms, Crestwood, Northmead. Doing this from memory so may have missed a couple. These are public high schools. Won't list the private ones. Website addresses are normally, www.Name of school-hschools.nsw.edu.au.
eg www.castlehill-hschools.nsw.edu.au
Old May 1st 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gibbo
HSC James Ruse
That was the other one I was trying to remember.

The ones I gave are just girls schools, and I think James Ruse Agricultural High School is mixed ?

Are there any Rudolf Steiner schools in the area? I have heard they are very good. Not sure which years they cover though.

Have a look here:

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

The above website scores and ranks schools around the country on their numeracy and literacy scores.

FOR EXAMPLE - HERE IS THE REPORT FOR HORNSBY GIRLS SCHOOL:

http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.aspx...endarYear=2009

Lots of reading - so have fun!

Last edited by billabongbunyip; May 1st 2010 at 7:53 am. Reason: Spelling
Old May 1st 2010, 7:59 am
crt
Just Joined

crt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nicecrt is just really nice

There are many good high schools in the Hills District. Top 2 schools in the HSC James Ruse and Baulkham Hills High, both public but are selective. The list is long for both public and private but all have websites. Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, Kellyville, Rouse Hill(new, opened 2009), Model Farms, Crestwood, Northmead. Doing this from memory so may have missed a couple. These are public high schools. Won't list the private ones. Website addresses are normally, www.Name of school-hschools.nsw.edu.au.
eg www.castlehill-hschools.nsw.edu.au
Thank you for the info. I did email baulkham hills but they said i had missed the enrolement for year 7 and apply for year 8. Never heard of the james ruse, it looks good, so will email them. I guess this is the biggest thing i'm stressing about. As my daughter has to go to primary for a few months then onto high school. Really want her to settle as quickly as possible, which i'm sure she will, just me being over anxious.Once again for the advice
Old May 1st 2010, 7:59 am
crt
Just Joined

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
The following are in the Castle Hill area, as the crow flies.

(i.e.) not in the immediate area, but within travelling distance.

They have all got exceptionally excellent reputations:

1) Hornsby Girls' High School in Hornsby

http://www.hornsbygir-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/

2) Ravenswood School for Girls in Gordon

http://www.ravenswood.nsw.edu.au/Hom...wood-Home.aspx

3) Loreto in Normanhurst

http://www.loretonh.nsw.edu.au/

Hornsby High is a selective public school, and I believe the other two are private. Not 100% sure though, so read their websites.
Thanks you. will go through them
Old May 1st 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crt
Thank you for the info. I did email baulkham hills but they said i had missed the enrolement for year 7 and apply for year 8. Never heard of the james ruse, it looks good, so will email them. I guess this is the biggest thing i'm stressing about. As my daughter has to go to primary for a few months then onto high school. Really want her to settle as quickly as possible, which i'm sure she will, just me being over anxious.Once again for the advice
The exam for selective High Schools takes place in 1st term of the year prior to enrollment. Very competitive, few places. I'm sure that your daughter would settle in most of the Hills schools.
I must warn you that the schools listed by billabongbunyip are a fair distance away from the Hills. A drive in morning peak hour traffic that no one in their right mind would want, especially when the schools, public and private, in the Hills are every bit as good if not better.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

That was the other one I was trying to remember.

The ones I gave are just girls schools, and I think James Ruse Agricultural High School is mixed ?

Are there any Rudolf Steiner schools in the area? I have heard they are very good. Not sure which years they cover though.

Have a look here:

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

The above website scores and ranks schools around the country on their numeracy and literacy scores.

FOR EXAMPLE - HERE IS THE REPORT FOR HORNSBY GIRLS SCHOOL:

http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.aspx...endarYear=2009

Lots of reading - so have fun!
Would not advise anyone to travel from the Hills to any of the schools in the area you've mentioned.
As for the My School website, waste of time. Only gives the results of one NAPLAN test. You can't judge a school on that. Much better to visit the school, access websites and avail yourself of local knowledge.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crt
Hi, we are moving to sydney in the hills district, have looked at a few locations, baulkham hills, castle hill, kellyville, rouse hill. Can't seem to find much info on what high schools are the better ones in the area. Have emailed a few schools to be told to secure a house first and see what high school is in the area. However after spending a long time to deciding which high school to send my daughter in uk. i would prefer not to do pot luck. Does anyone know which high schools are the best ones and which ones to defo stay clear from. So we can look for rentals in that area. i would so grateful for more info on this topic.

i thank you all in advanced.
We moved to Baulkham Hills and our daughter went into Year 7 at Crestwood High. She loved her time there and has fond memories. The staff were very friendly and I would recommend this High School if you are in the Baulkham Hills/Crestwood area. There was regular homework and she made some lovely friends. Pity we had to move away but thats life I guess. Good luck.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Would not advise anyone to travel from the Hills to any of the schools in the area you've mentioned.
Well I mentioned them for two reasons:

1) They are exceptionally excellent schools

2) I know girls who live in Castle Hill, and travel to these schools every day.

Heck, I even know someone who lives in Castle Hill and travels to a school in St Ives every day. And I know a school girl who lives in Avalon and travels to Normanhurst every day. What a nightmare that would be. But her parents love Avalon and don't want to move, but want her to attend the best school - so they make the sacrifice of driving all that way every day.

Old May 1st 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

As for the My School website, waste of time. Only gives the results of one NAPLAN test. You can't judge a school on that. Much better to visit the school, access websites and avail yourself of local knowledge.
Yes, of course it would be much better to visit the school, access websites and avail yourself of local knowledge.

But it might come in useful if crt is still in the UK.

crt can visit websites of various schools, and then maybe use the My School website to cross-reference some academic results.

And then when crt actually arrives in the country or area, they will at least have some practical knowledge up their sleeve.......and from there crt can visit the schools and avail themselves of local knowledge.

Old May 1st 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I mentioned them for two reasons:

1) They are exceptionally excellent schools

2) I know girls who live in Castle Hill, and travel to these schools every day.

Heck, I even know someone who lives in Castle Hill and travels to a school in St Ives every day. And I know a school girl who lives in Avalon and travels to Normanhurst every day. What a nightmare that would be. But her parents love Avalon and don't want to move, but want her to attend the best school - so they make the sacrifice of driving all that way every day.

I still believe that is unnecessary when there are good local schools. It is a needless burden on the parents and gives the child a longer day than they need to have. I have been involved in education for a very long time and I would certainly try to dissuade parents from taking this course.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

I still believe that is unnecessary when there are good local schools. It is a needless burden on the parents and gives the child a longer day than they need to have. I have been involved in education for a very long time and I would certainly try to dissuade parents from taking this course.
Well I would not drive my child from Avalon to Normanhurst every day, not matter how good the school was.....for the reasons you have given.

What could maybe also happen is crt may decide that they ABSOLUTELY MUST send their daughter to somewhere like Pymble Ladies’ College (http://www.pymblelc.nsw.edu.au/) and so decide to live nearer the school.

Obviously I don’t know what crt is like, but I know of parents who have uprooted and moved to a new area only because it had a good school there.

Some people want the very best for their little darlings – especially in competitive Sydney where they can name drop every other word. I know a lady whose entire conversation is peppered with Knox this and Knox that – and I feel like screaming “yes, I know you are really rich and your bloody son goes to Knox, now shut up before I strangle you”.
Old May 1st 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I would not drive my child from Avalon to Normanhurst every day, not matter how good the school was.....for the reasons you have given.

What could maybe also happen is crt may decide that they ABSOLUTELY MUST send their daughter to somewhere like Pymble Ladies’ College (http://www.pymblelc.nsw.edu.au/) and so decide to live nearer the school.

Obviously I don’t know what crt is like, but I know of parents who have uprooted and moved to a new area only because it had a good school there.

Some people want the very best for their little darlings – especially in competitive Sydney where they can name drop every other word. I know a lady whose entire conversation is peppered with Knox this and Knox that – and I feel like screaming “yes, I know you are really rich and your bloody son goes to Knox, now shut up before I strangle you”.
Having lived in Sydney for much longer than you, I can relate very easily to how snobbish some can be about education. I could relate many stories. Even on a more basic level, I have been asked by a parent, in the days of streaming,if his child would be in the "A" class next year. My reply was, " The question you should be asking is: do my son's results show that he is working to his capacity." Pity some people can't accept that they have not given birth to geniuses.
Old May 1st 2010, 3:05 pm
crt
Just Joined

i can assure you i aint snobby and not looking for the best school to name drop, i just want a school that performs well and will push my child to her best of ability, where there is discipline in class. The kids respects the teachers. My daughter would love it, if it had dance and drama as the curriculm or after school. just don't want to send her to school where the majority don't achieve any grades,