Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Motorcyclists, some advice please

Motorcyclists, some advice please

Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:42 am
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Motorcyclists, some advice please

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Another thing to note is that if you need to buy new gear then buying it in the UK is FAR FAR better than buying here.

Example - I looked at leather jackets here and theres was nothing less than $300 and for anything close to a decent fit I was looking the wrong side of $450.

I went to the UK and popped into some huge great big warehouse full of gear in Swindon and picked up a fantastic perforated (i.e. cool) leather jacket for around 100GBP. Its almost as cool as the dri-rider jacket I had before but offers better protection.

The only danger in this technique is that Helmets purchased in the UK will not have an Australian standards compliance sticker so are technically illegal. I've never heard of anyone getting busted for a non-compliant helmet, but its possible that an insurance company could take issue and refuse a payout - and THAT makes it not worth the risk just to save 2/3rds the price of a helmet! (Yes they do cost 3 times as much here!).

Next time I'm back in the UK I'll be shopping again for some more kevlar jeans, some new gloves and possibly a new pair of boots. Theres no way I can afford to pay AU prices for the limited range and bad selection of sizes that we have available.
well this is news to me.....my wife and I were going to be hand carrying our lids over with us.

I see there is a good thread on this back in 2008. I still think I'm going to take mine, its barely a year old, top of the range AGV GP Tech, and replace it with an Aus one when I'm ready.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcyclists, some advice please

http://www.sharkleathers.com.au/index.php

http://starider.com.au/shoppingcart/...=index&cPath=1

I got the $99 short boots. Seem good so far.

My Shark helmet was about $250.

Try the DriRider range too!

I have five helmets from the UK which we can't use legally. You must have an Oz helmet although they are made in the same factories overseas.

The sticker will disintegrate if removed. So you can't even buy an old helmet on ebay and put the sticker on your UK helmet.

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 8th 2011 at 10:16 am.