Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Motorcyclists, some advice please

Motorcyclists, some advice please

Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcyclists, some advice please

As a long time biker in London, kevlar encased and commuting to work, I moved to Brisbane and promptly sold my bike and have not ridden since. Which may account for my sudden mood swings and propensity to talk crap.

However, I have not died since. Which, given the utter stupidity of your average Brisbane motorist, would have been my assured fate. Australians are simply not used to "seeing" motorbikes.

You are 30 times more likely to be killed in an accident than if you were in your car. And one in 5 accidents involve a motorbike.

If you do the sums it aint pretty. Get good training - really good training and then ride like everyone was out to kill you and can't see you, even if you think they have.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:58 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
...You are 30 times more likely to be killed in an accident than if you were in your car. And one in 5 accidents involve a motorbike.

If you do the sums it aint pretty.....
The numbers - whilst sobering and worthy of consideration do not account for the difference in 'heavy traffic' accidents and 'weekend warrior' accidents.

Obviously peak hour accidents do happen - and some inevitably end badly ('bad' being obviously more likely on 2 wheels than 4). BUT I'd be happy to bet that a large proportion of those motorcycle numbers comes from the high number of 'leisure riders' in Australia (thanks to a forgiving climate) who fling themselves at grease-lightening speed around any curvy, hilly bit of road they can find on any given Sunday.

It would be very interesting to see how those numbers changed if they were just looking at 6:30am-8:30am and 4pm-6pm.

(Dont suppose ABCDiamond can pull those numbers out of somewhere? )
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I’m thinking about swapping the car for a motorbike / scooter to do my daily commute. It’s about 80km round trip from west to east Brisbane (Moggill to Manley) through the city with the whole mixture of road speeds / conditions (walking pace along Coro Drive up to 70 km/h along Wynnum Road etc). My question is, what type of bike would be best suited to this? I’m thinking along the lines of a 125 – 200 cc big wheel scooter. What about a similarly sized motorbike? . . . and if so, what style, cruiser, tourer? I’d need to do a Q-Ride (?) course. Would the type of Q-Ride course I did limit me to a certain type of bike? (do it on an automatic scooter, limited to riding the same). I’ve ridden a scooter when living in London, but that was for relatively short distances and for more dodging between the traffic, never really getting above 30 mph.

Advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
What bike license did you have in the UK?

A list of LAMS approved bikes can be found here. Quite a range.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Mot...le-Scheme.aspx

Originally Posted by DadAgain
If you're currently not licenced you'd need to do the following:

1) Get a leaners permit ($20? and a 5 easy question test)
2) A few days of Q-Ride training to get a provisional licence. This entitles you to ride any LAMS motocycle (most 250cc bikes and some restricted 400/600cc bikes)
3) 1 year later - Get a full licence and trade up to a 'proper' bike.

I'd advise against the scooter. Theres little enough respect for bike riders as it is. On a scooter you really make yourself a target and even a high powered scooter (500cc) will still be 'challenged' by heros in utes where a low powered 'sport bike' (250cc) will be begrudgingly left alone - its all in the appearance.

[For the record I ride a Kawasaki ZX636 sport bike after spending my 'apprenticeship' on a fantasticly 'cheaper than the bus' Kawasaki ZZR250]
Could probably just do a Q-Ride refresher, 5 hours in the morning then Q-ride assessment in the afternoon, another 5 hours. Depending how much riding experience he's had previously.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What bike license did you have in the UK?

I just did the CBT(?) and rode a 125 scooter on my car licence (I think)

A list of LAMS approved bikes can be found here. Quite a range.

The range is part of the problem. Not sure what makes a more comfortable commuting bike . . . sport / cruiser / naked (steady on Lou)? $4k would be my max, so that will probably limit me to a 250 I'd think, and then do I go for tried and trusted brands or some Korean / Chinese offering. Decisions decisions.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Mot...le-Scheme.aspx

Could probably just do a Q-Ride refresher, 5 hours in the morning then Q-ride assessment in the afternoon, another 5 hours. Depending how much riding experience he's had previously.
Cheers for that Al.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that Al.
Maybe a Honda CB400 or Suzuki GS500? Fairly comfortable for commuting and should be reliable.

Don't know of this link works. (seems to) Just as an idea.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...%201545%201544

You will need to do as DadAgain says:-

1. Theory test.
2. Q-ride to get your RE (restricted for a year to a LAMS approved bike).
3. Optional. After a year, same test but on a bigger bike if you want your R (Open bike license)

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 7th 2011 at 4:59 am.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:11 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

When I started I spent $3300 on a used ZZR250 (sport/tourer) [as seen in my out of date avatar]
and about $1000 on gear..
and about $800 on Q-Ride training.
(In my day there was no LAMS in QLD - so I had to get a 250cc bike)

My insurance cost me $250 a year! (fully comp?!)
Rego was $400 a year
A service cost me $300

and my fuel economy was around 3.6L/100km

In the end as I mentioned before the total cost of ownership after 1 year was less than I woudl have spent on bus fares and it was A LOT more fun.

That bike died a dignified and timely death when someone backed into it in my works car park and knocked it over. The resultant damage was deemed to be sufficient to write it off and I got a nice big fat cheque (off HIS insurance) for $4k to go toward my new ride.

I couldnt recommend a ZZR more - it was so cheap to run and bulletproof reliable. It was a pretty comfy ride and mine had some wicked loud exhaust on it too.

Of course if you're not into the sporty look then a naked style would probably be cheaper still (and cheaper to insure) - but if buying at the budget end I'd definately be sticking to a proven Japanese bike. Hondas do hang on to their value well though so they might be more expensive than an equivalent Suzuki or Kawasaki. Beware the Hyosung - they have a reputation for turning riders into either excellent users of public transport or first class mechanics.

Theres LOADS of ZZRs out there in the affordable range: http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...ywords=&Nne=15

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 7th 2011 at 5:15 am.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
When I started I spent $3300 on a used ZZR250 (sport/tourer) [as seen in my out of date avatar]
and about $1000 on gear..
and about $800 on Q-Ride training.
(In my day there was no LAMS in QLD - so I had to get a 250cc bike)

My insurance cost me $250 a year! (fully comp?!)
Rego was $400 a year
A service cost me $300

and my fuel economy was around 3.6L/100km

In the end as I mentioned before the total cost of ownership after 1 year was less than I woudl have spent on bus fares and it was A LOT more fun.

That bike died a dignified and timely death when someone backed into it in my works car park and knocked it over. The resultant damage was deemed to be sufficient to write it off and I got a nice big fat cheque (off HIS insurance) for $4k to go toward my new ride.

I couldnt recommend a ZZR more - it was so cheap to run and bulletproof reliable. It was a pretty comfy ride and mine had some wicked loud exhaust on it too.

Of course if you're not into the sporty look then a naked style would probably be cheaper still (and cheaper to insure) - but if buying at the budget end I'd definately be sticking to a proven Japanese bike. Hondas do hang on to their value well though so they might be more expensive than an equivalent Suzuki or Kawasaki. Beware the Hyosung - they have a reputation for turning riders into either excellent users of public transport or first class mechanics.
Thanks for that.

I must admit, the Hyosungs had caught my eye on price alone.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...d=12F306EB92D4
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I’m thinking about swapping the car for a motorbike / scooter to do my daily commute. It’s about 80km round trip from west to east Brisbane (Moggill to Manley) through the city with the whole mixture of road speeds / conditions (walking pace along Coro Drive up to 70 km/h along Wynnum Road etc). My question is, what type of bike would be best suited to this? I’m thinking along the lines of a 125 – 200 cc big wheel scooter. What about a similarly sized motorbike? . . . and if so, what style, cruiser, tourer? I’d need to do a Q-Ride (?) course. Would the type of Q-Ride course I did limit me to a certain type of bike? (do it on an automatic scooter, limited to riding the same). I’ve ridden a scooter when living in London, but that was for relatively short distances and for more dodging between the traffic, never really getting above 30 mph.

Advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
I got's me a DRZ400-SM and I've had it for the last 4 years and it's one hell of a fun yet insanely dangerous ride into work, when I take it....

Having said that, most of the time when I am riding in city-traffic, I could be forgiven for thinking that all car drivers suffer from acute mental illnesses...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:31 am
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

I currently communte to work in Scotland on a bike and plan to do the same in Brisbane once we're over in July. I've got a 600 Ninja at the moment but to be fair my commute is only 8 miles per days so its not too bad on the high pegs in the town. Even though my journey to work is 4 miles I still get all geared up in my leathers, I wouldn't have it any other way, it takes 2 mins to put them on, its dangerous and lazy if you don't.

I have a few friends who use the Kawasaki ER-6n which is a perfect commuter, light and small but has a bit of power when you need to get out of a situation. I would highly recommend these...great for filtering through traffic. If you go to any major city in Europe, every second bike seems to be one of these.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:34 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
Even though my journey to work is 4 miles I still get all geared up in my leathers, I wouldn't have it any other way, it takes 2 mins to put them on, its dangerous and lazy if you don't...
When it's 35c and humid, we'll see how strong your resolve is?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:53 am

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
When it's 35c and humid, we'll see how strong your resolve is?
Of course, but good quailty leathers should also be very breathable. Failing that I'll get a decent set of textiles.

Keep the speed up and draft will keep you cool
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
Of course, but good quailty leathers should also be very breathable. Failing that I'll get a decent set of textiles.

Keep the speed up and draft will keep you cool
You get a whole range of mesh breathable stuff here that keeps you cool. DriRider jacket and gloves for me and kevlar jeans.

My UK stuff is far to hot except the cordura pants which are ok.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You get a whole range of mesh breathable stuff here that keeps you cool. DriRider jacket and gloves for me and kevlar jeans.

My UK stuff is far to hot except the cordura pants which are ok.
Good to know...thanks
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:22 pm

Another thing to note is that if you need to buy new gear then buying it in the UK is FAR FAR better than buying here.

Example - I looked at leather jackets here and theres was nothing less than $300 and for anything close to a decent fit I was looking the wrong side of $450.

I went to the UK and popped into some huge great big warehouse full of gear in Swindon and picked up a fantastic perforated (i.e. cool) leather jacket for around 100GBP. Its almost as cool as the dri-rider jacket I had before but offers better protection.

The only danger in this technique is that Helmets purchased in the UK will not have an Australian standards compliance sticker so are technically illegal. I've never heard of anyone getting busted for a non-compliant helmet, but its possible that an insurance company could take issue and refuse a payout - and THAT makes it not worth the risk just to save 2/3rds the price of a helmet! (Yes they do cost 3 times as much here!).

Next time I'm back in the UK I'll be shopping again for some more kevlar jeans, some new gloves and possibly a new pair of boots. Theres no way I can afford to pay AU prices for the limited range and bad selection of sizes that we have available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.