Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

MotoGP Phillip Island - wot no accomodation?

MotoGP Phillip Island - wot no accomodation?

Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:59 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough
Default MotoGP Phillip Island - wot no accomodation?

Anyone else going to the MotoGP in October having problems getting accomodation? I've tried everywhere within 50km of the track and it's all booked. Started looking in June so maybe I left it too late as it seems most places are booked 12 months in advance :-(

We can ride down on the day but I have a mate coming from the UK so it would have been good to make a weekend of it.

Cheers,

TBEB
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MotoGP Phillip Island - wot no accomodation?

bugger hope you find somewhere
i am very green, would love to go but too far fir us... have a fab time and post some piccies if you can
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:10 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbeb
Anyone else going to the MotoGP in October having problems getting accomodation? I've tried everywhere within 50km of the track and it's all booked. Started looking in June so maybe I left it too late as it seems most places are booked 12 months in advance :-(

We can ride down on the day but I have a mate coming from the UK so it would have been good to make a weekend of it.

Cheers,

TBEB
We went a few years ago and stayed in the middle of the city. It took about 1 1/2 hours to drive there and we had time to see the Penguin Parade and still make it back to the hotel by about 10pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:14 am
Go dogs!

Originally Posted by bridie
bugger hope you find somewhere
i am very green, would love to go but too far fir us... have a fab time and post some piccies if you can
Been fotunate to have gone for the last 2 years but I reckon there's gonna be a few more this year as it's in October and our boy Casey is doing so well !

I'll definately post some piccies!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:22 am
Go dogs!

Originally Posted by worzel
We went a few years ago and stayed in the middle of the city. It took about 1 1/2 hours to drive there and we had time to see the Penguin Parade and still make it back to the hotel by about 10pm.
We can get there and back ok on the Sunday (coming from Sunbury) but we we were hoping to stay overnight to 'soak up' the atmosphere ;-)

Did you see the pengiun parade after the gp last year? No idea what time the pengiuns put on their marching boots ;-)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:24 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

TBEB
We went to Philip Island in May. Accomodation was already booked up by then. We stayed at Hotel Hollywood (I kid you not).Manager told us that his hotel was booked out by an English tour company in January for the whole period of the Moto GP.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We can get there and back ok on the Sunday (coming from Sunbury) but we we were hoping to stay overnight to 'soak up' the atmosphere ;-)

Did you see the pengiun parade after the gp last year? No idea what time the pengiuns put on their marching boots ;-)
It was actually WSB we went to, must have been 2003. The penguins don't put on their show until dark so loads of time and it is only a short drive from the circuit.

I know you can't camp at Barbagallo for the V8's but is it possible to camp at the circuit. Now that would be the best way to soak it up and watch qualifying too.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

TBEB
these any good?

http://www.asiarooms.com/checkResult.php?breakFast=y&checkedCity=Phillip%20 Island&day_in=13&month_in=9&year_in=2007&day_out=1 4&month_out=9&year_out=2007&sortBy=rates&aff=OneTi me.com&rooms=2&roomO_1=1|0&roomO_2=1|0&roomO_3=0|0 &roomO_4=0|0&roomO_5=0|0&roomO_6=0|0

Bloody link doesnt work...but it did come up with a coupole of possibilities worth a try. Best thing to do is contact the tourist information...they will have an up to date list of any vacancies in the area

Last edited by biggy; Aug 8th 2007 at 2:32 am.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:33 am
Go dogs!

Originally Posted by busterboy
We went to Philip Island in May. Accomodation was already booked up by then. We stayed at Hotel Hollywood (I kid you not).Manager told us that his hotel was booked out by an English tour company in January for the whole period of the Moto GP.
Sound about right. Maybe we'll be able to get a cancellation nearer the time, else we'll just travel down on the Sunday which will take 2 hours from Sunbury. Most of the accomodation seems a rip-off anyway, some places are asking $1000 a night!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:36 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sound about right. Maybe we'll be able to get a cancellation nearer the time, else we'll just travel down on the Sunday which will take 2 hours from Sunbury. Most of the accomodation seems a rip-off anyway, some places are asking $1000 a night!
That sounds about right. We paid $140 for a weekend at Philip Island. Same room (nothing special at all) was being charged at $1000 at GP time.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:40 am
Go dogs!

Originally Posted by biggy
these any good?

http://www.asiarooms.com/checkResult.php?breakFast=y&checkedCity=Phillip%20 Island&day_in=13&month_in=9&year_in=2007&day_out=1 4&month_out=9&year_out=2007&sortBy=rates&aff=OneTi me.com&rooms=2&roomO_1=1|0&roomO_2=1|0&roomO_3=0|0 &roomO_4=0|0&roomO_5=0|0&roomO_6=0|0

Bloody link doesnt work...but it did come up with a coupole of possibilities worth a try. Best thing to do is contact the tourist information...they will have an up to date list of any vacancies in the area
Thanks for that but all these search engines (including asiarooms) that show accomodation as available are in fact misleading. I must have booked 20 places in the past couple of months only for them to come back and say the dates are unavailable, whilst the websites show them as available. Some even say that they are up-to-date and come back with the same reply!

I will give Tourist Info a call though. Cheers.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:35 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

TBEB
Have you tried camping at the circuit - we booked our pitch a couple of months ago - not sure if there will still be any available?
http://www.motogp.com.au/default.aspx?s=campgrounds
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

TBEB
There seem to be some places available on this site:
http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodatio...+and+surrounds

Hope you find somthing - good luck!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be very surprised if you find anywhere within an hour's drive (on a good day).

We came for this (from England) last year. Admittedly we didn't book up early but we ended up in a hotel in Dandenong, not a particularly nice one at that.

This year we are coming back (and validating at the same time), fortunately we are staying with a mate whose mate's parents have a house on the Island.

Good luck. It should be brilliant with Stoner winning the championship
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd say that the Ducati team stay at Glen Isla every year - http://www.glenisla.com/. We stayed there the weekend after MotoGP (hubby was doing California Superbike School at the circuit, which was excellent if a bit wet and windy!) and it was lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.