Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attraction ?

Most overrated tourist attraction ?

Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most overrated tourist attraction ?

Originally Posted by Pomster
Back on topic...

The London Eye. What a waste of £17.50.
You see the houses of Parliament- can see the same from Waterloo bridge- and down the river.
Luckily we went free as we had Merlin passes, otherwise I would have asked for my money back.

Underrated attraction though- Bank of England museum. Hard to find (even though I used to work at Bank) open obscure hours, and full of foreign tour groups...so they know about it!
Oh I enjoyed the London Eye lol...
Valley of the Kings/Queens
Surfers Paradise, Queensland,
Bunbury
Busselton

To be fair I have made the most of all the places I have visited and glad I have made the effort to see the sights I have, a lot I would not return to but
for the main I would not mind doing a return visit. Some of my Favorite places are: Karnak Temple, Rhodes Old Town, any ancient site on Cyprus and I loved visiting Budapest, York and so far my fav. city (which even surprises me is London)
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Back on topic...

The London Eye. What a waste of £17.50.
You see the houses of Parliament- can see the same from Waterloo bridge- and down the river.ut it!
Strongly advise you stay away from the Melbourne eye if you where disappointed with the London. You will have to wait for the pleasure as it's been closed for the last 3 year's and when it does finaly open I would imagine it could seriously stake a claim to the world's most crappy tourist attraction.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I think its fair to say anything and everything is interesting if its presented well.

I remember being taken as a schoolboy to a very uninteresting field to be given an amazing and very graphic description of a battle that took place there hundreds of years ago.

Similarly I remember being out in the outback with a couple of geologists who gave me a fascinating overview of how the land had been formed.

Often the really interesting things are not so obvious.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 8:17 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I think its fair to say anything and everything is interesting if its presented well.

I remember being taken as a schoolboy to a very uninteresting field to be given an amazing and very graphic description of a battle that took place there hundreds of years ago.

Similarly I remember being out in the outback with a couple of geologists who gave me a fascinating overview of how the land had been formed.

Often the really interesting things are not so obvious.
I agree.

When in Salzburg we accidentally booked the wrong trip and discovered we'd booked onto a tour of the salt mines. I was gutted - until we got there. I actually really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I agree.

When in Salzburg we accidentally booked the wrong trip and discovered we'd booked onto a tour of the salt mines. I was gutted - until we got there. I actually really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it
OHHH I loved the Salzburg salt mines. i was telling my 5 year old about them and she wants to go...strange child like her mother...
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:39 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

OHHH I loved the Salzburg salt mines. i was telling my 5 year old about them and she wants to go...strange child like her mother...
The big slides down into them were great
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The London Eye is high on my list of to do's. We did the Singapore equivalent which was fantastic.

Originally Posted by brits1
Oh I enjoyed the London Eye lol...
Valley of the Kings/Queens
Surfers Paradise, Queensland,
Bunbury
Busselton
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Well after taking the kids to Australia Zoo today I have a new number 1.

Australia Zoo, totally crap. The much vaunted Africa section consisted of 4 giraffes, 2 zebras and 1 rhino standing in a field
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777

Australia Zoo, totally crap. The much vaunted Africa section consisted of 4 giraffes, 2 zebras and 1 rhino standing in a field
We went to Australia Zoo years ago, never again. The most expensive overrated 'zoo' I have been to and I have been to many.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, it's pants.

I preferred Lone Pine as a place to go and stare at some wildlife.

Or Currumbin Sancturary, although that isn't cheap.

It has the distinct advantage of not seeing Steve 'let me see how much I can annoy the animals before one inevitably kills me' Irwin all over the mammel-turd-covered shop.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

We heard a load of "go to Seaworld" its fantastic etc at Hillary's Boat Harbour and even back then (9 years ago) it cost a fortune and it was just a small (very) okay experience really, we had been to others that were jaw dropping but I suppose if you have never experienced similar things and thats your only gauge (as a lot of people in WA have never travelled inter State or overseas) then thats okay if you know what I mean. It was the same with the Pinnacles, we even booked two days nearby as we thought it would take that time to see them after all the raving by our Aussie friends and the guide books we got the and were so underwhelmed both by the drive up (nothing much to see at all) and by the actual Pinnacles...glad we did it though but never went back and not on our list of "yes they were something great to see" etc