Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attraction ?

Most overrated tourist attraction ?

Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most overrated tourist attraction ?

Rainbow Beach, friends kept saying we just had to go to Rainbow Beach so we took the kids there just before we left Australia. After about an hour we thought we had mistakenly driven to the wrong Rainbow Beach, our kids said is this it ?
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:22 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Los Angeles as a whole is a dump.

At least Las Vegas is interesting in a "Jeez, have we really evolved into this?" kind of dump.
+1
LA is OR
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:24 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Bali is also OR
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We liked Bali, not the touristy bits but we got out and about into the real countryside.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:35 am
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by chris955
We liked Bali, not the touristy bits but we got out and about into the real countryside.
its full of stupid australians
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
After many years transiting LAX and not seeing any more of the city than the airport, I decided to spend some time there on my last US trip. We stayed down-town at the Millennium Biltmore and enjoyed a great five days exploring the down-town area.

The Library is absolutely outstanding and has been beautifully preserved with almost all the original art Deco fittings and architecture maintained in excellent order. The same can be said for many down-town building from the same period including Union Station which for me was one of the highlights of the trip.

L.A. is another city with an excellent public transport system, and if you are 'lucky' enough to be a senior, then most bus rides are 15c and the local train will set you back 25c

One Sunday we took the bus from down-town L.A. out to Venice beach and I have to say that the 25c bus ride down Santa Monica boulevard was worth every cent. Some of the down-town area is showing the results of the U.S recession and there was no shortage of people shoving their lives around in a shopping trolley.

But if you take the rough with the smooth and put it all down to the joys of vacation travel, then you should have a good time there, we had five days and felt that was just long enough.

The Millennium Biltmore cost us $129 a night and I don't think I've ever had better value. Here is what $130 can get you in L.A.........

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/mill...s/about-hotel/
Musta caught me on a bad day then.

I just remember it being a toilet populated by pretentious soulless wankers

Much like Surfers.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by commonwealth
its full of stupid australians
The touristy bits yes but that is why we avoided them.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:56 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Coast, especially Surfers, reminds me of a good looking Blackpool.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Pinnacles was such a disappointment and having been there now and relayed back to my friends overseas they are taking it off their shopping list. Five foot high pointed rocks evenly spaced in a seamingly man-made desert ...
Seoul has very little to offer too and the locals just look unhappy most of the time.
I used to like Singapore but I now find it dull. Humidity is just something you have to put up with but I don't have to put up with the arrogance of the locals.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Bali is also OR
I'm there at the moment and not getting it. I have decided I'm a Pacific islands type of girl!!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Great Ocean Road, whilst being a perfectly nice drive with some lovely scenery it is certainly not the most spectacular drive in the world as the local tourist board would have us believe.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:37 am
Banned

Growing up in Geelong the GOR was almost the focal point of the area, Geelong has little to offer. When I got older and was riding motorbikes every weekend someone would ask if I fancied a ride down the Ocean Road, the first few times was great but not every bloody weekend
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Niagara Falls.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I'm there at the moment and not getting it. I have decided I'm a Pacific islands type of girl!!
Bali is a wonderful place, just need to get away from the overddeveloped southern part. Stay in a private villa with maid and a cook, swimming pool. Rent a car with driver or drive yourself and get out into the countryside. The Balinese Hindu culture prevaids every aspect of life. I would be bored to death after a few days on a pacific island, bali has so much more depth.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
For me the worlds most overrated tourist attraction has to be da Vinci's "Mona Lisa".

For me it's a pretty ordinary piece of work to begin with, in it's present setting ( which is a great improvement on the security that was in place when I first visited ), it looks even more 'ordinary'.

I remember seeing a da Vinci sketch of the madonna and child at the National Gallery in London. They had it in a side room lit only by soft electrical light, and apart from a barrier rope no obvious security between the public and the art work. I still get a chill after all these years remembering that I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had seen in my life.

That poor sad thing in a glass box in the Louve doesn't qualify to be in the same league.
+1 000 000 it isn't worth the effort to see it. I loved the Musee D'Orsee when in Paris- beats the Louvre any day- masses of impressionist paintings.

Loved Singapore- took DD to the night zoo which was amazing, and DD and OH had the famous crab in one of the night markets. I enjoyed going to the temples, though DD was a bit spooked by the hindu one.

Bondi would rank as my no1 disappointment. The beaches in Pembrokeshire are better, less run down/druggie/drunks, less crowded, fewer bluebottles and more sand. (Better lifeguards in Aus though!)

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 11th 2013 at 10:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.