Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The most interesting or memorable place you have ever been......

The most interesting or memorable place you have ever been......

Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most interesting or memorable place you have ever been......

Re Brisbane... It's worth mentioning a little piece of doggerel from I-don't-know-where about the state capitals of Australia.
The people of Melbourne
Are frightfully well-born.
Of much the same kidney
Is the beau monde of Sydney.
Adelaide's forte is culture,
While in Brisbane the people insult yer
And don't hardly know they've been rude,
They're that ignorant, common and crude.
It's hardly worth
Mentioning Perth.

Or Hobart, apparently.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Re Brisbane... It's worth mentioning a little piece of doggerel from I-don't-know-where about the state capitals of Australia.
The people of Melbourne
Of much the same kidney
It's hardly worth
Mentioning Perth.

Or Hobart, apparently.
Effing hell Brisbane!

Someone mentioned Croydon : I was going to say that plenty of places in the world have nice parts and good parts. Head south of Croydon and you get to pristine Surrey commuter belt and find yourself with spitting distance of the North Downs..

There's a dirty old town centre in South London which meets a nice sleepy little Surrey town and commuter station in 5mins flat...2 worlds colliding..

In Melbourne, people often deride Frankston but that is based on a demographic around the centre -the back blocks, as Buzzy has said, are fine and there are some very nice areas in the hinterland.

If you live in a nice part of the world where people consider themselves lucky to live there - be pleased. The UK has all these Grade1 listed houses and National Trust estates but average places abound in their hundreds. You can go to any part of the UK and be inspired - or dejected..
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The people of Melbourne
Of much the same kidney
It's hardly worth
Mentioning Perth.

Or Hobart, apparently.

I've changed all that since I've been here. Very welcoming place now.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

There are still some pockets you haven't converted, trust me!!

As for Hobart.....well worth mentioning and highly memorable
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:59 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Yep, I can vouch for that
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

The people of Melbourne
Of much the same kidney
It's hardly worth
Mentioning Perth.

Or Hobart, apparently.

Well I think since things are getting a little personal, I'll throw this little clipping in about North v South of England.

According to a recent YouGov poll, 28% of the British public have a “less positive view” of people from London than people from elsewhere and only 14% have a positive view of Londoners.

Northerners, with their jolly, happy-go-lucky attitudes, proper water and brass bands are stereotypically more approachable and better at making mashed potato than their southern peers. Londoners are angry and impatient, although I put this down to the city’s extortionate rent and expensive beer.

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Apr 6th 2014 at 9:35 am.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Effing hell Brisbane!

Someone mentioned Croydon : I was going to say that plenty of places in the world have nice parts and good parts. Head south of Croydon and you get to pristine Surrey commuter belt and find yourself with spitting distance of the North Downs..

There's a dirty old town centre in South London which meets a nice sleepy little Surrey town and commuter station in 5mins flat...2 worlds colliding..

In Melbourne, people often deride Frankston but that is based on a demographic around the centre -the back blocks, as Buzzy has said, are fine and there are some very nice areas in the hinterland.

If you live in a nice part of the world where people consider themselves lucky to live there - be pleased. The UK has all these Grade1 listed houses and National Trust estates but average places abound in their hundreds. You can go to any part of the UK and be inspired - or dejected..

I find it strange when you get a really affluent village or town in England, directly next to a run down dive of a town. Literally within minutes you are driving through somewhere picture perfect and then the next glance you're driving through a complete shithole with boarded up shops, litter everywhere etc...How does that work
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I find it strange when you get a really affluent village or town in England, directly next to a run down dive of a town. Literally within minutes you are driving through somewhere picture perfect and then the next glance you're driving through a complete shithole with boarded up shops, litter everywhere etc...How does that work
Not that different here really, suburbs in Queensland for instance - I live in Windsor ( probably in the cheapest block of units going!) and its known as an affluent suburb. 10 minutes walk towards the supermarket and I'm in Lutwyche - cheap, rundown, not the worst suburb around by any means but the difference between the two is very clear.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Exactly the same in Australia and we found it the same in American as well.
Where we lived in Brisbane was really nice but 5 minutes drive was somewhere you wouldnt want your worst enemies to live.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

One of the most memorable places is the menin gate at Ypres very moving
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tim65

I bet. I'm hoping to go there this year with my mum, her Grandad and Uncle are both buried there, I told her I'd take her before I moved to Australia, I just hope I can fit it in.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim65
Yes. Incredibly moving

A place that will be forever linked to Australia too
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are still some pockets you haven't converted, trust me!!

As for Hobart.....well worth mentioning and highly memorable
The Crown is awesome. Nice and friendly there.

Originally Posted by paulry
Yep, I can vouch for that

Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

About 100km North of Weipa on the Cape York Peninsula. The wild countryside from upstream on the Namaleta Creek to the Skardon River.

One of the remotest places on Earth and like no place I've witnessed before. Miles and miles of unspoilt jungle......lush, wet, beautiful.

I will never forget the eerie sound of complete silence; yet with every step was a feeling that a dingo, boar or croc had its eye on you.

A real standout memory was of the many butterflies flapping their wings in hush. Perhaps chaos theory was born in such a place.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:38 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
About 100km North of Weipa on the Cape York Peninsula. The wild countryside from upstream on the Namaleta Creek to the Skardon River.

One of the remotest places on Earth and like no place I've witnessed before. Miles and miles of unspoilt jungle......lush, wet, beautiful.

I will never forget the eerie sound of complete silence; yet with every step was a feeling that a dingo, boar or croc had its eye on you.

A real standout memory was of the many butterflies flapping their wings in hush. Perhaps chaos theory was born in such a place.
Sounds great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.