Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

More voters consider going BNP

Wikiposts

More voters consider going BNP

Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:29 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More voters consider going BNP

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Sure, they're here, but nowhere near on the scale of the UK.

Cronulla was a huge shock to Aussies partly because it was so horrible, and partly because such incidents are virtually unheard of. Not only that, but despite a great deal of pushing, shoving and bashing, nobody was actually killed or seriously injured. Nor was there the widespread destruction of public property that you get in the UK.

When compared with the Brixton Riots, the Oldham Riots, the Burnley Riots, the Bradford Riots, the Handsword Riots, the Lozells Riot and various other demonstrations of British public opinion (eg. Tottenham and Toxteth, etc.) Cronulla was little more than a playground brawl.
My comparison of Cronulla was to demonstrate that racial tensions are in Australia. Not whether a riot involves throwing a rock or a petrol bomb.

But as you mention the U.K. riots, there is one interesting and distinct difference between Cronulla and the race riots here. The incident in Sydney was a reaction from the white indigenous majority of Australia - the disturbances here were reaction from the ethnic minorities.

More fuel for parties like the BNP.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:44 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]
I wouldn't trace back to the Saxons anyway, since they weren't native to Britain.
You brought up the Saxons.

I'd be interested to know how you're defining "indigenous." Do you mean "born in Australia/UK/wherever"? Or do you mean something else?
As per earlier post - it means native. And I think you're clever enough to know in what context it was used on this thread.

Now we could spend all afternoon discussing definitions of native. But I think common sense would say that the indigenous people of the U.K. are not those who grasp to the side of a Euro Star train, hide in the back of lorries on cross channel ferries, claim asylum as soon as they step off an aeroplane, or take part in an illegal marriage to gain residency (recent registrar figures in London estimate around 40% are bogus).
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
and that has got to be a reason to get out of this country quick smart

do they have a form of the BNP in Australia Vash?

Are you under some illusion that Australia has no such problems??? Look at Sydney not six months ago....Have to say no BNP in the area of UK I live in and I would not use such things as an excuse to leave UK

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Apr 17th 2006 at 2:50 am.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 2:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
So you'd prefer a Britain with one culture would you? So by leaving and going to Australia, you'll be entering a country with less cultural diversity?

Main Entry: cultural diversity
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: ethnic, gender, racial, and socioeconomic variety in a situation, institution, or group; the coexistence of different ethnic, gender, racial, and socioeconomic groups within one social unit

I looked it up in the dictionary. Seems a shame that we can't all coexist in one group/country. Of course, it means learning about another's culture and that doesn't mean enjoying a curry on a friday night and calling it a 'cultural' experience
If you can't see the harm that forced integration does sweet heart, then I really don't think there's any mileage in addressing any of your points.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:04 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what race, colour or ethic or religious background people have. What concerns me is how they treat their fellow citizens/other people! Sometimes unfortuantely that does seem to show certain groups up in a poorer light, but then again, doesn't mean all from the same group are equally bad.

God help us we should ever judge all of a particular group by the transgressions of a few.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by possoms
They are Nazis and would gladly ignite the gas chambers again tomorrow given half the chance
I think you give the BNP too much credit. They are essentially yobs. There are far more sophisticated far-right political parties with a greater influence in every country in mainland Europe than the BNP.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 3:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've always found England to be a racist country and I didn't find this particular news story in the slightest bit surprising. What I would say is that for the most part, racism in the UK, as brilliantly illustrated by my father-in-law, is of a sniggering behind-the-hand 'wogs' and 'pakis' variety (both words he uses regularly) rather than a full-on hatred of 'coloured' immigrants. If the F.I.L. has to use the services of a non-white tradie, for instance, and the service turns out to be satisfactory, he'll always express surprise and usually end his little story with "and he was black!". I find it particularly amusing (in a look-at-the-dinosaur sort of way) because he's forever getting stitched up by white tradies called Darren, but doesn't end those tales of woe with "and he was a chav!". For the record - the F.I.L. is a UKIP voter...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: More voters consider going BNP

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Are you under some illusion that Australia has no such problems???
No, I don't think she is. She's simply asking if Australia has a BNP equivalent.

To which the short answer is "No."

Look at Sydney not six months ago....
Look at Brixton, Oldham, Burnley, Bradford, Handsworth, Lozells, Tottenham and Toxteth over the last 10-15 years.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:38 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
If you can't see the harm that forced integration does sweet heart, then I really don't think there's any mileage in addressing any of your points.
Sweetheart???? Listen, don't start getting all personal & vindictive - I merely made a point.

Forced integration - now, I am not going to talk about illegal immigrants as that is not what I was talking about in my original post. I am talking about people who went through the channels, had the medicals, got visa's and entered a country. So you are saying that this is forced integration are you? But if we are moving to Australia and we are English, couldn't that argument be used against us? Or do you mean, anyone who looks different and doesn't speak English?

I've seen racist attitudes, no matter how small first hand - you don't enter a mixed race relationship and not see it. My partner fears Australia a little because it isn't as 'culturally diverse' as England (where he grew up). When he was living in Australia with me on a working visa, he had a woman in the supermarket qeue comment loudly to another 'Wish they wouldn't bring their smelly foreign food in here' She obviously couldn't read the bag which said 'Brumbys' on the side or see that he was carrying fresh bread. She did get a shock though when he spoke in an English accent.

Anyway, good luck on finding a place to live that is not culturally diverse or forced integrated - I hear the moon is pretty good to live....they don't let the bl*~dy foreigners in
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think she is. She's simply asking if Australia has a BNP equivalent.

To which the short answer is "No."

Look at Brixton, Oldham, Burnley, Bradford, Handsworth, Lozells, Tottenham and Toxteth over the last 10-15 years.

Vash as usual you missed the point. Saying I'm leaving this or that country due to racism is hardly a valid point as every country in the world has racists. It's just about impossible to escape!

I know for fact that some Australians are racists I've listened to conversations about the Aboriginals and other races that happen to live there. Just as some people in the UK are racist.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: More voters consider going BNP

Vash as usual you missed the point. Saying I'm leaving this or that country due to racism is hardly a valid point as every country in the world has racists. It's just about impossible to escape!

I know for fact that some Australians are racists I've listened to conversations about the Aboriginals and other races that happen to live there. Just as some people in the UK are racist.
So your point really was "I would not use such things as an excuse to leave UK."

I see.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:00 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

There was one attempt to form something similar, though - a woman called Pauline Hanson created a party called One Nation which, although not equivalent to the BNP, certainly had some racial prejudice at the heart of it. The reation of average Australians was a mixture of disgust and bemusement; Pauline Hanson and One Nation became a national laughingstock, featuring prominently in dozens of political parodies, satires and spoofs.
Be honest, it wasn't all ridicule and disgust: the people of Queensland found them so amusing that they voted for them in significant numbers:

One Nation's peak was the 1998 Queensland state election, at which the party won 22.7% of the vote and 11 of the 89 seats. This was more than received by both the National Party and Liberal Party of Australia, and second only to the ALP.

That's from your own source, BTW.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

So your point really was "I would not use such things as an excuse to leave UK."

I see.
I couldn't use it as I do not suffer from any kind of racial abuse or live in an area where there is any racial tension.

But I must say that unless you've actually found a place where racist do not exist how can you cite this as a reason for moving to another country?

Vash why did you start this thread? Do you really not like it in UK? You seem to jump on the lets run UK down boat a bit too often!
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't use it as I do not suffer from any kind of racial abuse or live in an area where there is any racial tension.

But I must say that unless you've actually found a place where racist do not exist how can you cite this as a reason for moving to another country?
I agree on all counts. There's little overt racism where I live because the closest my little Cotswolds town gets to being 'integrated' is having a Chinese Takeaway, plenty of behind-the-hand comments though. As I said earlier, I've seen plenty of it in the past though, particularly in the town I was brought up in, in Hertfordshire. I also experienced it in Oz where some old geezer chewed my ear off down the local pub, whinging about the '****ing abos'. It's everywhere, to claim otherwise is bonkers.

Sidenote: anyone seen Crash?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Anger with the main parties has led more people to consider voting for the British National Party, a report for a social policy research group says.

The Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust said up to 25% of voters said they "might vote" for the far-right party.

The BNP said the report reflected voter "tension" about multi-cultural Britain.

But Home Office minister Andy Burnham said he believed support for the BNP was very localised - and in many cases represented a "protest vote".

The report echoes fears by Employment Minister Margaret Hodge that voters may be tempted by the BNP in May's local elections in England.
Source.

Bit of a worry.
Friend of mine, teaches in a High School, asked the class what various parties were all about and one lad (seriously) said the BNP party was the alternative to Labour, because it stood for "Blair's Not Popular!"
Bet the BNP love that!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.