Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

money and emmigrating.....

Wikiposts

money and emmigrating.....

Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all
Default money and emmigrating.....

Can i ask (pm me if you like) how much you are planning to take to oz for the lifestyle you want/afford...

we are looking at taking around £50k which may sound a lot but we are worried its not alot??

basically want a general feel on what other people are planning on taking with them or have already taken???

btw when we land my wife is a care assistant and i am gonna do wood machining i think???!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:23 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money and emmigrating.....

Listen. In my opinion, the most important & worthwhile thing you can take with you is an open mind & a determination to have a great time

Lots of people take much, much less than you & make a fantastic life for themselves - others take much more & are totally miserable. Try not to compare your situation with others, it's bound to have you questioning yourselves & your abilities.

Rely on the things that are priceless: Caring for each other, good sense & a healthy willingness to laugh in the face of adversity

Best of luck
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

you have a good point there!!

only thing is i worry that we may be in a situation like the uk ie working to pay the morgage and bills

i am thinking our rough morgage when we land will be $400k with deposit of around $80k in a modest typical medina house in ballajura??

we think anyway all we are waiting for is our house to sell

one of our biggest issues is getting there and not knowing anyone and feeling isolated probably like so many people i guess???
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:31 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly a good way forward for you in the initial period, would be to look at renting a place - you get a helluva lot of house for your money on the rental market in Oz & it will give you a chance to get settled in work, earn a bit of interest on your lump sum & get used to the slightly lower wages out there.

I know there's always the big push to get your dream home as soon as you arrive, but you'll have a lot of adjusting to do & it's not really a top priority straight away. Up to you of course, but we won't be buying immediately, even though we're lucky enough to be able to buy somewhere mortgage free. It all just takes a little time to get your feet on the ground, that's all
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

yeha think we are gonna rent first well for 6 months anyway like you say to geta god feel for the place????

its just really scary now as all we are waiting on is selling the house!!!

then we are off