Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mixed race marriages and families

Mixed race marriages and families

Old May 27th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mixed race marriages and families

For anybody that has experienced racism - and this why I'm always slightly sceptical of people who have no experience of it - racism is is not always people shouting out "Oi nigger!" and suchlike.

Often it is patronising, condascending talk - as if by not speaking perfect English you need to be spoken to in a slightly louder, kindergarten kind of way.
It can also manifest itself in an excluding-type of behaviour. Everyone is invited apart from the person who looks different or who speaks with a strange accent.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Im in a mixed marriage myself, husband from N. Africa.

I have had a few racist comments - usually POM stuff from one or two narrow minded people, husband hasnt.

He does laugh though, when he tells people he his from North Africa, they look somewhat confused and say 'thats near South Africa isnt it?' he tells them no it isnt and is usually met with the response 'same difference'.

But as far as mixed marriages go, no problems at all.

You get racism everywher and to be honest, we had the nasty comments about our mixed marriage in the UK.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We are mixed race (I am Welsh, he is English!)....H is Asian/English and I am Welsh/English.

He did get a few comments when we were first here as most people were taken aback by H's public school accent whereas they thought he should be Aussie.

Generally we are remembered/recognised by many people as I guess Asian bloke/Anglo female is less common than vice versa.
Small very mixed daughter gets nothing but positive comments but that is because she is so beautiful (spoken like a true non-biased mother!)
Old May 27th 2009, 4:31 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

I get racially abused everyday, and im married to a ethnic minority Eastern European who is also white.... so the colour of your skin doesnt matter a thing its part of the make up.I get called a pom, is that racist?

I dont see what all the fuss is about, the more you think the more you make of it, unless its antagonising to provoke violent acts, then theres enough races around the world who do that between themselves.

Personally I dont give a crap anymore about any of it, the media and sensitive nancy pandys like some posted before are making big issues of it, and making everyone to be racist and creating more victims as the PC lobby allows them to do this.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

In my humble opinion, I think people are more acepting of differences in the more rough and ready suburbs of Australia. People tend to stare and whisper in the stuck up areas whereas in working class suburbs other people may make little funny comments to 'test your mettle' and see how uptight you are. Where I live, there are lots of aboriginals and so people dont think much of different colours and backgrounds. If your uptight and waiting to pounce on perceived racism, then youre in for a hard and lonely time.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
I get racially abused everyday, and im married to a ethnic minority Eastern European who is also white.... so the colour of your skin doesnt matter a thing its part of the make up.I get called a pom, is that racist?

I dont see what all the fuss is about, the more you think the more you make of it, unless its antagonising to provoke violent acts, then theres enough races around the world who do that between themselves.

Personally I dont give a crap anymore about any of it, the media and sensitive nancy pandys like some posted before are making big issues of it, and making everyone to be racist and creating more victims as the PC lobby allows them to do this.

You sound like a nob.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:58 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we have to define racism. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what it is.
Pom is a good example. No matter how it is put to you, being called this is not racist. English isn't a race, is it? Xenophobic maybe?
If I am called a sweaty, is that person racist? Clearly not.
Old May 27th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kporte
I think we have to define racism.
The Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines racism as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular racial group, and that it is also the prejudice based on such a belief.

Now, if the British and Australians were different races, this would be a very racist website at times

Old May 27th 2009, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines racism as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular racial group, and that it is also the prejudice based on such a belief.
Who'd be a different race for the day? I'd like to be a black man for 24 hours.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Who'd be a different race for the day? I'd like to be a black man for 24 hours.
Does your wife know?
Old May 27th 2009, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Does your wife know?
I'll ask her. I was going to add initially that I am sure I would find some superiority somewhere in being a black man for the day and then decided that would leave me wide open for the suggestion that I would be getting a larger cock.

She reckons that my cock is big enough as it is.

That's torn it - I've stuffed up this thread big time.
Old May 27th 2009, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cut out the abuse please. Its not necessary.
Old May 27th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'll ask her. I was going to add initially that I am sure I would find some superiority somewhere in being a black man for the day and then decided that would leave me wide open for the suggestion that I would be getting a larger cock.
Good job you didn't want to be an asian man for the day. I think your wife might be well disappointed.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Good job you didn't want to be an asian man for the day. I think your wife might be well disappointed.
This is a complete myth
(see earlier post about ethnic make up of H!)
Old May 27th 2009, 1:27 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Mixed marriages? Asian/European, Black/White... whatever.

It wasn't that long ago in Australia that a 'mixed marriage' meant Catholic/Protestant....

I suspect in a lot of cases that if you go looking for racism you'll find it if you look hard enough and your threshold is set low enough.

I'm English, but went to school in Singapore and have been married for 35 years to a Singaporean Chinese and have a 31 year old daughter married to a Sicilian. Her matron of honour (at 29) when she got married was an Indian now married to a Aussie. Racially mixed marriages are especially common in Australia now.

You want my definition of racism?

A certain Chinese restaurant here in Melbourne which has posters on its walls advertising 15% discount on Tuesdays... in Chinese.

Chinese customers get the discount but not Caucasians.

A lot of the better (as in food) Chinese restaurants here with a large Asian clientele also provide complimentary soup, dessert and tea for Chinese customers, but not for Caucasians.

Except for at least one Pom who can also read and speak Chinese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.