Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mixed race marriages and families

Mixed race marriages and families

Old May 26th 2009, 9:01 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mixed race marriages and families

I know there is a similar thread re: racism in Oz but I am specifically interested in views from people living in Oz who have mixed race relationships or families and if they have experienced racism. My sister and I have different fathers (I am white she is black) and throughout our childhood in UK we experienced racist comments... would that happen in Oz today? My boyfriend is Asian - would we meet racism in Oz?
(hoping Mods will keep this separate please as its not about the American fella!!! )
Old May 26th 2009, 9:10 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mixed race marriages and families

I've not the 'other' thread but please excuse my ignorance ...

Of course you are going to meet racisim, where ever you are in the world !!

You will both come across racisim individually for very different reasons I am very sure

Dougie
Old May 26th 2009, 9:22 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
I've not the 'other' thread but please excuse my ignorance ...

Of course you are going to meet racisim, where ever you are in the world !!

You will both come across racisim individually for very different reasons I am very sure

Dougie
Yes - I know that! We have already experienced it. I just meant was - would it be often and overt or occasional and unusual in Australia?! And wondered if people in similar relationship/families would maybe share their experience please. Thanks )
Old May 26th 2009, 9:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Yes - I know that! We have already experienced it. I just meant was - would it be often and overt or occasional and unusual in Australia?! And wondered if people in similar relationship/families would maybe share their experience please. Thanks )
It would really depend on what suburb and environment you are mixing with.

Which state are you headed?
Old May 26th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience, in Perth unless you chose a dodgy suburb, you'd be fine.
Old May 26th 2009, 10:53 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
From my experience, in Perth unless you chose a dodgy suburb, you'd be fine.
Would that not be the case the world over ??

How much stick do you think you would get in Beconsfield west London compared to Rotherham in yorkshire ??

This thread and its posts are ridiculous and too typical of the sensitive namby pamby society of 2009

And on that note I shall not be wasting anymore of my time.

Regards

Dougie
Old May 26th 2009, 11:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

How much stick do you think you would get in Beconsfield west London compared to Rotherham in yorkshire ??

This thread and its posts are ridiculous and too typical of the sensitive namby pamby society of 2009

Regards

Dougie http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...07/eekout1.gif
Perhaps if you don't like a thread you could just not post at all? Now there's a novel idea, eh?

For the OP; there are many mixed couples here in Australia and especially white/Asian mixes. A lot of Asian women married to white Aussie men. Really, as the others have said it depends on where you go how well accepted mixed marriages are, but that's the same everywhere. Just my opinion, but if you don't make a big deal out of it then others won't either.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

We are a mixed race couple, wife is from Asia, daughter obviously mixed.

Living in Adelaide in "nice" suburb, daughter going to a local school, no problems at all.
Must add that the nicer suburbs here have a very high percentage of well of people of Asian origin, so do the local schools, schopping centers etc.

At the place I work vast majority of the several hundred people employed are not white, to be honest you name them we have them. Obviously no problems at work either.

As Geelong Gent wrote above all depends on where you live and work.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Perhaps if you don't like a thread you could just not post at all? Now there's a novel idea, eh?

For the OP; there are many mixed couples here in Australia and especially white/Asian mixes. A lot of Asian women married to white Aussie men. Really, as the others have said it depends on where you go how well accepted mixed marriages are, but that's the same everywhere. Just my opinion, but if you don't make a big deal out of it then others won't either.
Agreed. A lot depends on your own attitude. Come over with a bolshy, expecting abuse, attitude I guess you'd find it in spades. Come over chilled, relaxed and happy and you'll get the same chilled attitude back.

There will always be one or two idiots who know no better but hey, that's life.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:36 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

just ignore that post babycatcher.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

just ignore that post babycatcher.
And so you draw attention to it by quoting it. His comments were valid just possibly could have been worded differently but he's said little that hasn't been said by others.

In a way if the comments made by Dougie were found to be offensive then yes the OP will find people racist here - it's all dependent on how thin or thick skinned you (general) are and how accepting someone is to other people's opinions.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me, and one I asked on the other thread. But them I'm obviously a Sensitive Namby Pamby too for wanting to protect my 2 year old from the harsh realities and ****wits of life for as long as possible.

Good luck, OP, and thanks for starting this thread. The generally positive replies have reassured me and hopefully you too.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:24 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And so you draw attention to it by quoting it. His comments were valid just possibly could have been worded differently but he's said little that hasn't been said by others.

When someone comes on here with a genuine question, is it appropriate for their posts and thread to be called "ridiculous" ? Of course not. It make the forum a very unwelcoming place.

I did not quote the post to "draw attention" to it, as you put it. Instead I merely wanted to let babycatcher know that there are many posters here who do not think that this thread is ridiculous.....Dougie & Louise certainly does not speak for the majority, yet when threads are left unanswered and drift off the page, that is the way in which it might be perceived.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:28 am
Account Open

I know there is a similar thread re: racism in Oz but I am specifically interested in views from people living in Oz who have mixed race relationships or families and if they have experienced racism. My sister and I have different fathers (I am white she is black) and throughout our childhood in UK we experienced racist comments... would that happen in Oz today? My boyfriend is Asian - would we meet racism in Oz?
(hoping Mods will keep this separate please as its not about the American fella!!! )

Hi babycatcher, I have lived here in Brisbane in a mixed race relationship for 5yrs and have not experienced any racism directed at us in that time.

I think that there are certain parts of the country where you might experience more racism that other parts, but that is just conjecture...you can't really know until you live somewhere!

best of luck!
Old May 27th 2009, 1:08 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Agreed. A lot depends on your own attitude. Come over with a bolshy, expecting abuse, attitude I guess you'd find it in spades. Come over chilled, relaxed and happy and you'll get the same chilled attitude back.
Very true Moneypenny, and that applies to so much of life. Some Karma coming your way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.