Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mitsubishi plant in Adelaide closing

Wikiposts

Mitsubishi plant in Adelaide closing

Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mitsubishi plant in Adelaide closing

Originally Posted by kevinandtracy
I do live in Brisbane but lived in Adelaide until 2 yrs ago.
I know what you are saying but it sounded like just because of the clipsal you have a few morons on the road, they are everywhere, so again do we blame the parents, or the Goverment. you cant blame what people drive for the closing of Mitsubshi that comes down to managment, not giving the people what they want. maybe its the Ford / Holden thing, who knows all i know is they have been talking about closing the plant for a long time now, i think everyone knew it was going to happen it was only when was it going to happen. You still have to feel sorry for the workers and there familys.
Absolutely I feel for the families, I have been made redundant myself and my OH twice so I know all too well. Regarding the Clipsal, according to my Australian OH, in the '80's the race was open to all brands of car. However, at somepoint (around mid '90's) someone has decided to make it a Holden and Ford race only. From that the two brands of cars to be seen in (from what I understand) were Holden and Ford. Brands like Mitsibishi like it or not have suffered. Unfortunately, with petrol prices rising along with everything else, it seems the car manufacturers in Aus are ignoring or unable to produce cars to fit this new era preferring to stick to the large car that Australians have loved and driven for years and ignoring the economic factors to their own detriment.
So I think that yes the car companies themselves are to blame and sticking to what they know and has worked in the past. But I would add that there is a Holden and Ford culture out there that does have an effect on car sales. I don't believe Holden at Elizabeth will escape the same fate as mitsi if it doesn't start producing more mid size/Small cars in the near future.