Missing UK food

Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Missing UK food

I noticed Twiglets in my local Woolies foreign foods section a while back and now I'm seriously addicted. I think I might have to get someone to post me a crate from back home - it would be cheaper!
Trying to describe them to Aussies is funny too - looks like a twig but tastes of Marmite/Vegemite ....
Old Mar 27th 2015, 2:51 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
you should never pay 50 bucks for a parma
It's astonishing the price some places charge, and the rorts they have going. I was at a pub in Lorne a few years ago during holiday season. The Parma & Chips is their restaurant/bistro was around $40, where the same could be ordered as a 'counter meal' in the main bar for $25.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
It's astonishing the price some places charge, and the rorts they have going. I was at a pub in Lorne a few years ago during holiday season. The Parma & Chips is their restaurant/bistro was around $40, where the same could be ordered as a 'counter meal' in the main bar for $25.
On the way back from the Prom I paid less than market rates for a gigantic steak.
Plus good beer on tap.

If I spot something I won't pay for it is dismissed never to trouble me again.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

On the way back from the Prom I paid less than market rates for a gigantic steak.
Plus good beer on tap.

If I spot something I won't pay for it is dismissed never to trouble me again.
$12 for rump and chips at the local hotel on Thursdays. 3 meals and a bottle of house red - $58. Bargain

$14 parmy and chips down the hill mid-week
$16 steak and chips and a beer on Thursdays
$4.90 Heineken pints

All good

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 27th 2015 at 8:07 am.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
Most astonishing lunch today, ordered a crispy taco from mad mex. One teaspoon of meat and get this! 7 black beans. Even with lettuce and tomato it was only half full. $4. Ridiculous.

Best value meals I know of in AU is the Vietnamese restaurants in some very not fashionable suburbs near where we rent in melb. $9 for main, side and tea. Love the food markets too, same stuff they sell in the trendy suburbs for half the price.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Most astonishing lunch today, ordered a crispy taco from mad mex. One teaspoon of meat and get this! 7 black beans. Even with lettuce and tomato it was only half full. $4. Ridiculous.

Best value meals I know of in AU is the Vietnamese restaurants in some very not fashionable suburbs near where we rent in melb. $9 for main, side and tea. Love the food markets too, same stuff they sell in the trendy suburbs for half the price.
Most of the time many people complain about portions being too big!
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
$12 for rump and chips at the local hotel on Thursdays. 3 meals and a bottle of house red - $58. Bargain

$14 parmy and chips down the hill mid-week
$16 steak and chips and a beer on Thursdays
$4.90 Heineken pints

All good
That is normally how it works. There is no need to pay top dollar for pub food - unless you are a tourist. There is a time and place to pay top dollar in a place of your choosing and on your own timing.

I have paid more for steak and chips, for example, but I am paying for location, ambience, service and more so, an experience.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That is normally how it works. There is no need to pay top dollar for pub food - unless you are a tourist. There is a time and place to pay top dollar in a place of your choosing and on your own timing.

I have paid more for steak and chips, for example, but I am paying for location, ambience, service and more so, an experience.
Yep, but this is BE where many like a b=good old whinge just for the sake of it

Actually, house red is $20 so $56 for 3
Old Mar 28th 2015, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep, but this is BE where many like a b=good old whinge just for the sake of it

Actually, house red is $20 so $56 for 3
The good steadfast, suburban, and provincial Englanders and obsessive dullards that they be . A life centered around
the trivial and commonplace.

No wonder they moved to Australia - they thought those same lives would be fixed.
(ho ho).

It's ok - I am only pulling a leg.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 9:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Missing UK food

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I think British food is awful, I don't know how or why it's quite so miserable but clearly...the results speak for themselves.

There are many things we are great at from inventing the telly to building supersonic airliners, and much more...however culinary skills should definitely be singled out as an area for improvement.
Originally Posted by Grayling
A bit ironic from someone living in New Zealand
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Out of date. The food is so good now.
Depends. There are plenty of those restaurants styled around nouvelle cuisine (which is essentially 70s/80s style cooking) and the subsequent gastropub/lounge trend of the 90's and even molecular gastronomy (which was trendy in about the same era but lingered into the early naughties) never got off the ground here. You'll see lots of replication and variation on those classic themes as well, there are numerous celeb associated restaurants with plenty of Michelin stars rehashing those ideas to death.

However if you are looking for something more original, contemporary, imaginative or with providence I'm afraid it is still quite difficult to find...that lightning in a bottle.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Depends. There are plenty of those restaurants styled around nouvelle cuisine (which is essentially 70s/80s style cooking) and the subsequent gastropub/lounge trend of the 90's and even molecular gastronomy (which was trendy in about the same era but lingered into the early naughties) never got off the ground here. You'll see lots of replication and variation on those classic themes as well, there are numerous celeb associated restaurants with plenty of Michelin stars rehashing those ideas to death.

However if you are looking for something more original, contemporary, imaginative or with providence I'm afraid it is still quite difficult to find...that lightning in a bottle.
If you talking about the UK food scene, then sorry, sooooo far out.

I havent seen a nouvelle cuisine restaurant for decades.
There is a good smattering of gastropub, and many are now being given the awards they deserveSeen VERY few "celeb" restaurants, other than Chiltern - which is already no longer the fashionable. Though, that, nor the infamous Ivy has ever held a michelin

As for molecular, it is still around in the form of the Fat Duck and some others - interestingly, one of the few good restaurants in Perth is of the ilk and of course the Fat Duck, is currently operating from Melbourne.

Hundreds of excellent restaurants in London alone that have the lightning in a bottle. One to consider Ceviche UK