Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

MH370 - Kuala Lumpur to Beijing - missing

MH370 - Kuala Lumpur to Beijing - missing

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MH370 - Kuala Lumpur to Beijing - missing

Originally Posted by GarryP
He's got a flight management computer - he's used to having that fly the route to a location. Why wouldn't he just set that to the most remote location he could think of? Rather than just setting a rough heading.

Not sure. I can't see anything that Malaysia Airlines has done wrong in this - at least with the data we have. The government being incompetent yes, but I'd probably trust the airline over one from China say (where the history of fakes, frauds and corner cutting would be a worry).

Your thinking like a European though.... I understand on my fairly limited but probing questions of Chinese peoples views of Malaysia... and from my understanding it's the Asian country where the Chinese are liked the least or receive the most negativity.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if they've given up on any other search areas? They seem to be concentrating on one venue, which is totally reliant on the identification of a fuzzy sat image as being part of an aircraft.

Unless they locate the pinger in the next week or two the chances of recovery seem infinitesimal, barring a fortunate random sighting on the surface.

Without a reasonably accurate final position no-one could expect a search of the Indian ocean underwater to be attempted - let alone the China sea etc.

Keep our fingers crossed that the "debris" is found and identified very soon, otherwise we probably have an unexplained accident unless intelligence / police investigation turns something up.

Last edited by Wol; Mar 22nd 2014 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Anyone know if they've given up on any other search areas? They seem to be concentrating on one venue, which is totally relient on the identification of a fuzzy sat image as being part of an aircraft.

Unless they locate the pinger in the next week or two the chances of recovery seem infinitesimal, barring a fortunate random sighting on the surface.

Without a reasonably accurate final position no-one could expect a search of the Indian ocean underwater to be attempted - let alone the China sea etc.

Keep our fingers crossed that the "debris" is found and identified very soon, otherwise we probably have an unexplained accident unless intelligence / police investigation turns something up.
They have shifted to this area. However I saw a report that they have 'widened' the original area after having found nothing. That kind of implies that even with the coords they had, and the modelling they had done, they have found nothing and the probability of success is declining.

Even if they find surface debris, they still have to backtrack 10 days worth of drift in order to find out where the seabed debris might be - and then go looking for the pinger (and where exactly is the distress beacon they should have had for the debris anyway?).

They are supposed to have good weather today - so I'd say that if they don't spot something today they probably won't ever.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone considered the possibility that there was no MH370, and this has all been to divert the worlds attention from a Russian/Chinese lead plan to hide my ****ing ipod
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
To be honest, this whole incident has very little to do with the UK anyway - although it has been Inmarsat providing information (I think I read they are also the original source of the pictures from the Indian Ocean currently being searched).

The UK has a ship on the way to help, HMS Echo.

How many super speccy planes have the US provided for the search?
I was more referring to the fact that like a satellite launch capability, the UK remains the only western nation to unilaterally relinquish a long-range MR/SAR/ASW setup. They basically invented it and from the '30s until a few years ago were the best in the business

It's sad to see the end of a warrior nation
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Could someone (Garry maybe?) quickly recap where we are with this, that many different stories I have lost track now.

Did we ever find out where the pilot's family went to?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Could someone (Garry maybe?) quickly recap where we are with this, that many different stories I have lost track now.

Did we ever find out where the pilot's family went to?
Somewhere well away from the public eye I would hope.

Having got friends who are arline pilots I really feel for them. One of my friends is a total airliner devotee and spends much of his spare time on simulators, reading anything aircraft related, watching air disaster dvds etc - nothing sinister about any of it, he has just lived and breathed flying since he was about 9 years old.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:15 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Anyone considered the possibility that there was no MH370, and this has all been to divert the worlds attention from a Russian/Chinese lead plan to hide my ****ing ipod
It certainly distracts attention from the Crimea, for instance.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Plane went missing in Gulf of Thailand. Worked out it carried on elsewhere. May possibly be down in the ocean off WA.

I think that covers the 'facts' at the moment.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

a P3 Orion just flew over my house. I've seen a couple today already plus a Globemaster. I'm listening out for the Poseidon.

I don't think they are going to find anything, sadly. Hope I'm wrong though.

[edit] just watching the news, it wasn't a Globemaster it was a Chinese heavy lift aircraft, heading out to the search area at about lunchtime today. The news is the Chinese have spotted something by satellite and I think they've sent their plane out to check it out so they can get the glory if it's MH370. It was this one: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ful...f-perth-coast/[/edit]

Last edited by renth; Mar 22nd 2014 at 10:19 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Plane went missing in Gulf of Thailand. Worked out it carried on elsewhere. May possibly be down in the ocean off WA.

I think that covers the 'facts' at the moment.
The attention all seems to be on the south indian ocean option (seems as if the northern corridor has been downgraded).

There have been quite a few aviation industry stories run about how it could have been an accident - however I think the primary scenario is now firmly pilot carried out take over and suicide. The story on the family moving out has gone quiet (I think Malaysia is clamping down on potential bad press).

China have just announced that they might have found something on more satellite photos - but for all the evidence on the pics, nobody has yet found floating debris, yet alone tracked it back to any underwater remains.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The attention all seems to be on the south indian ocean option (seems as if the northern corridor has been downgraded).

There have been quite a few aviation industry stories run about how it could have been an accident - however I think the primary scenario is now firmly pilot carried out take over and suicide. The story on the family moving out has gone quiet (I think Malaysia is clamping down on potential bad press).

China have just announced that they might have found something on more satellite photos - but for all the evidence on the pics, nobody has yet found floating debris, yet alone tracked it back to any underwater remains.
I got the impression the focus is now more on the possibility of incapacitated crew ( through something like hypoxia) with the plane flying on until the fuel was exhausted.?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I got the impression the focus is now more on the possibility of incapacitated crew ( through something like hypoxia) with the plane flying on until the fuel was exhausted.?
Pilots have been trying to push the idea that the crew heroically tried to deal with a fire, turning the aircraft and then suffering from hypoxia with the plane flying on.

Problem is, that doesn't tie in with the actual flight path taken by the aircraft, or with the ping data. And in fact having ping data and 4 hours extra flying doesn't tie in with a fire either.

Thus we get back to intentional action.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Pilots have been trying to push the idea that the crew heroically tried to deal with a fire, turning the aircraft and then suffering from hypoxia with the plane flying on.

Problem is, that doesn't tie in with the actual flight path taken by the aircraft, or with the ping data. And in fact having ping data and 4 hours extra flying doesn't tie in with a fire either.

Thus we get back to intentional action.
Do you think the intention was to fly the plane into the middle of the ocean or that it was some kind of hijack?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 11:34 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you think the intention was to fly the plane into the middle of the ocean or that it was some kind of hijack?
Thus far it looks like suicide (which is why the pilots are trying to come up with some other idea). Nobody is quite sure why he would aim to avoid radar, disappear and then look to ditch the aircraft in the middle of nowhere - rather than just head directly downwards, but it's the best scenario for fitting the facts that people have come up with.

The problem with hijack is nobody on the aircraft looks like a likely candidate, and no message got out at all. In theory you might have had someone who was hijacking the aircraft, incapacitated the pilots almost immediately, had the FMS fly a route towards somewhere north, then stack it over the Andaman Islands - but the ping/flight time doesn't work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.