Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne on target to become the Vegan capital of the world.

Melbourne on target to become the Vegan capital of the world.

Old Aug 16th 2018, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne on target to become the Vegan capital of the world.

This is a bit of a surprise. I live in a household with one full on Vegan daughter, who is a Vegan Chef as it happens. Plus one Vegetarian daughter, So I've been exposed to Veganism and Vegetarianism for quite a few years. A statistic was stated on the radio just now, that Melbourne has more Vegans per Capita than anywhere else in the world. Wasn't so long ago on these boards that UK people were bemoaning the fact that you can't get Vegan food in Australia. Looks like things have come full circle in Melbourne at least.

I can remember years of fairly bland food back in the 90's and early 2000's that would be presented to my oldest daughter. In fact, the lowlight was a trip to Port Macquarie where upon asking for a Vegan Burger they pulled out a bun and slopped boiled vegetables into the bun. Daughter happily ate it, but boy was that insulting, lazy and ignorant. I sort of sat up and took notice after that at what was being served in retail outlets for her.

I used to just go along with it, until the penny dropped with one dish, a Beetroot curry which was up there with one of the best Currys I've ever had. Since then I've not looked back. No longer do I worry about going out for a vegan meal, because they are almost 100pct pretty tasty. I may add I'm still a full-on omnivore. However, I can see myself one day going for days or weeks without meat. I think my youngest, the 20-year-old boy is also on target to become a full-on Vegetarian as well

So those of you who desire world class Vegan food..... Don't bother with Berlin, London, New York or Tel Aviv. We've got it here in Melbourne.

One tip for the Naysayers, don't knock it until you've tried it in a decent dedicated restaurant.

As for the moral aspect of it all, I'm personally not really interested in that, save to say it probably is a good thing for everyone and everything concerned.

Here's a link as to what is happening in Melbourne for Vegans and Vegetarians.

Veganism in Melbourne.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne on target to become the Vegan capital of the world.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
This is a bit of a surprise. I live in a household with one full on Vegan daughter, who is a Vegan Chef as it happens. Plus one Vegetarian daughter, So I've been exposed to Veganism and Vegetarianism for quite a few years. A statistic was stated on the radio just now, that Melbourne has more Vegans per Capita than anywhere else in the world. Wasn't so long ago on these boards that UK people were bemoaning the fact that you can't get Vegan food in Australia. Looks like things have come full circle in Melbourne at least.

I can remember years of fairly bland food back in the 90's and early 2000's that would be presented to my oldest daughter. In fact, the lowlight was a trip to Port Macquarie where upon asking for a Vegan Burger they pulled out a bun and slopped boiled vegetables into the bun. Daughter happily ate it, but boy was that insulting, lazy and ignorant. I sort of sat up and took notice after that at what was being served in retail outlets for her.

I used to just go along with it, until the penny dropped with one dish, a Beetroot curry which was up there with one of the best Currys I've ever had. Since then I've not looked back. No longer do I worry about going out for a vegan meal, because they are almost 100pct pretty tasty. I may add I'm still a full-on omnivore. However, I can see myself one day going for days or weeks without meat. I think my youngest, the 20-year-old boy is also on target to become a full-on Vegetarian as well

So those of you who desire world class Vegan food..... Don't bother with Berlin, London, New York or Tel Aviv. We've got it here in Melbourne.

One tip for the Naysayers, don't knock it until you've tried it in a decent dedicated restaurant.

As for the moral aspect of it all, I'm personally not really interested in that, save to say it probably is a good thing for everyone and everything concerned.

Veganism in Melbourne.
Party on Garth

Melbourne also has the only Greens MP in the Federal Parliament and an Australia-hating Premier

Nuff said
Old Aug 16th 2018, 4:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just waiting till lab grown meat takes over and the vegans go into paroxysms of desire and guilt as their element of differentiation and 'holier than thou' disappears.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'm just waiting till lab grown meat takes over and the vegans go into paroxysms of desire and guilt as their element of differentiation and 'holier than thou' disappears.
I think your barking up the wrong tree there me old son Lot of ignorance about Vegans. That Lab Meat is for omnivores that are unable to give meat away when that kind of protein eventually/maybe becomes prohibitive. I doubt any Vegan or Vegtarian will touch it with a barge pole.

A lot of angry reaction re Veganism, Possibly rightly re some of them, but not most.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's my Daughters Restaurant, she works as head chef at one of the branches.

No Faux meat on their menus that I know of. That Faux meat is generally speaking for people weaning themselves of off meat..... Or people that aren't Vegetarian.

Lentil as Anything – Food Without Borders

Give it a go, instead of knocking or reacting eh
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how they know how many vegans there are or not there depending on city. My daughter is Gluten Intolerant and has never particularly liked meat, the texture and taste rather than killing animals beliefs. Even as a small kid she'd eat her veggies first and then pick at the meat. Finding places that can service her needs is hard. Vegetarian meals are fine but generally have Gluten in them, Go for the GF option and it probably has Chicken in it. It's a pain in the neck to be honest. However it's far easier for her to find good food here than it was when she did a month's Kontiki to the US last year. Most of the time they were in the South and they had no clue on GF and their idea of vegetarian was Mac and Cheese - wheat Mac and American (non) cheese. One restaurant gave her that along with a salad that consisted of three onion rings. I thought she was taking the piss but she sent a photo of the 'meal' together with a photo of the menu. Slowly but surely, restaurants are getting better, we don't necessarily want to just go to vegan or vegetarian restaurants At least she's not Coeliac,
Old Aug 16th 2018, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not sure how they know how many vegans there are or not there depending on city. My daughter is Gluten Intolerant and has never particularly liked meat, the texture and taste rather than killing animals beliefs. Even as a small kid she'd eat her veggies first and then pick at the meat. Finding places that can service her needs is hard. Vegetarian meals are fine but generally have Gluten in them, Go for the GF option and it probably has Chicken in it. It's a pain in the neck to be honest. However it's far easier for her to find good food here than it was when she did a month's Kontiki to the US last year. Most of the time they were in the South and they had no clue on GF and their idea of vegetarian was Mac and Cheese - wheat Mac and American (non) cheese. One restaurant gave her that along with a salad that consisted of three onion rings. I thought she was taking the piss but she sent a photo of the 'meal' together with a photo of the menu. Slowly but surely, restaurants are getting better, we don't necessarily want to just go to vegan or vegetarian restaurants At least she's not Coeliac,
Yes that is an awkward situation, Sons GF has just been diagnosed as Coeliac, which has added a fresh dimension to my wife's cooking challenges/abilities.

One thing I don't think people are getting about the Vegetarian option is that it actually broadens one's horizons rather than narrows it, in certain aspects that is. Almond meal cakes and other nut-based cakes are quite phenomenal....not many non-vegetarians get to eat those. I guess the term "Raw Cake" is rather off putting though. My wife is better at those than any of the shop bought "Raws" Having a Tefal Cusine Companion (French Thermomix) and a 1700 watt RX nutribullet (Half price Vitamix lol) helps with those though. Want some receipes MP?
Old Aug 16th 2018, 1:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is an awkward situation, Sons GF has just been diagnosed as Coeliac, which has added a fresh dimension to my wife's cooking challenges/abilities.

One thing I don't think people are getting about the Vegetarian option is that it actually broadens one's horizons rather than narrows it, in certain aspects that is. Almond meal cakes and other nut-based cakes are quite phenomenal....not many non-vegetarians get to eat those. I guess the term "Raw Cake" is rather off putting though. My wife is better at those than any of the shop bought "Raws" Having a Tefal Cusine Companion (French Thermomix) and a 1700 watt RX nutribullet (Half price Vitamix lol) helps with those though. Want some receipes MP?
yes please! Interesting stuff that has flavour and isn't mush like will always do down well!
Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:59 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Oh FFS, I want my meat! Off the bone! Tender meaty juicy yummy man meat! 🤣
Think of all the Aussie farmers who will lose their livelihood not selling cows and lambs and chooks.
Thankfully I don’t live in Mel.

Did you notice, in English, words for live animals have Germanic origin (cow, pig) while the meat to be eaten have French roots (beef, pork)?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
yes please! Interesting stuff that has flavour and isn't mush like will always do down well!
On its way, when I can corral the missus
Old Aug 17th 2018, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Oh FFS, I want my meat! Off the bone! Tender meaty juicy yummy man meat! 🤣
Think of all the Aussie farmers who will lose their livelihood not selling cows and lambs and chooks.
Thankfully I don’t live in Mel.

Did you notice, in English, words for live animals have Germanic origin (cow, pig) while the meat to be eaten have French roots (beef, pork)?

I tend to agree re the Meat Commonwealth, however, I see this as broadening one's choices rather than narrowing it though. I know what my next year's resolution is already, to go 1 meat-free day per week. The reason it broadens one's choice is there are plant-based dishes that don't really suit meat. I'll be 64 next year and I think cutting meat down a bit will be beneficial for my long-term health particularly the vascular system. If you say you would never try a Vegan or Vegetarian meal then you are narrowing your choice not widening it.

Plus the terms Vegan and Veganism aren't the correct terms any more. It's a Plant-based Diet, according to my wife. Both of us still being ardent meat eaters.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat meat Monday - Friday. I prefer veggies. I love a steak or pork belly and prefer it cooked for me. But I keep choice cuts in the freezer.

Don't understand the sort of blole who thinks meat must be consumed every day, especially when that bloke is 2 stone over weight and fetishes meat. I have a mate like that.

I think meat is not that good for you in every meal and I have gone off it a bit as I have got older. Nothing to do with politics.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't eat meat Monday - Friday. I prefer veggies. I love a steak or pork belly and prefer it cooked for me. But I keep choice cuts in the freezer.

Don't understand the sort of blole who thinks meat must be consumed every day, especially when that bloke is 2 stone over weight and fetishes meat. I have a mate like that.

I think meat is not that good for you in every meal and I have gone off it a bit as I have got older. Nothing to do with politics.
perhaps your mate doesn't understand the sort of bloke who doesn't eat meat mon-fri.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 12:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Meat doesn't make you overweight. Consuming more kilojoules than your body uses makes you overweight.

As with most things, it's just balance.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 12:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Veganism in Melbourne.
It's great to see more choice in foods available from shops and when dining out. Something for everyone! I used to enjoy eating at a small, independent restaurant on the Wirral. All food requirements were catered for, meat lovers, vegans, vegetarians, gluton-free etc and the chef was brilliant. I think I went through the entire menu in the 3 years I was there and never had a dud meal. I did have to teach them how to make a decent Irish coffee though - a squirt of whipped cream on the top does not an Irish coffee make

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.