Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Metro restrictions

Melbourne Metro restrictions

Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:23 am
  #91  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,147
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Fairfax - SMH in particular, seems to be my go to rag these days. Mainly because you can access it without too much drama. Sadly its a tad left, not as left as it once was, however central enough that it manages to wind the hell out of the lefty readers via the comments section of each article which I particularly enjoy reading and hearing the rage and fury.

I refuse to pay for journalism when they all make money out of advertising. Google has managed to be one of the wealthiest companies in the world by being a free digital encyclopedia and charging for advertsing - journalism can learn to do the same.

That some what disappoints me though. The Daily Telegraph does have some very good articles you won't find elsewhere. Especially local content. They uncover stuff others just won't. But you can't get in.

Can't stand the Guardian. Absolute nonsense, but sometimes good for a laugh. Then they have the hide to ask for a donation at the end, while smacking advertising at you. Please ...... pull the other one.
Beoz is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 11:36 am
  #92  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,899
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by abner View Post
Not "exactly" your original attempt at a point, however, to put it mildly...
It was but you misread it

No worries though
Amazulu is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 12:50 pm
  #93  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,345
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
No I'm not saying that. Every media outlet has a political agenda - none are unbiased (including state-owned outfits like the BBC, ABC etc). I'm saying that the Murdoch organisation does not have the influence that the left would have us believe. But in a scenario where they did have real influence, it would be perfectly true that media outlets on the other side of the political spectrum - The Guardian, CNN etc - would also have a strong influence. What would that influence be?

Every time I read some shite about the agenda of the Murdoch empire, I think, when did people stop thinking for themselves? If some asshole is going to base what they do, how they vote, what they decide after reading something in The Australian, The Sun, Guardian or watching something on Facebook, CNN, BBC or Foxnews then they really are an asshole

Read stuff from every viewpoint, look at the world around you, think for yourself and draw your own conclusions and you'll be sweet


You've 100% nailed it.

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Fairfax - SMH in particular, seems to be my go to rag these days. Mainly because you can access it without too much drama. Sadly its a tad left, not as left as it once was, however central enough that it manages to wind the hell out of the lefty readers via the comments section of each article which I particularly enjoy reading and hearing the rage and fury.

I refuse to pay for journalism when they all make money out of advertising. Google has managed to be one of the wealthiest companies in the world by being a free digital encyclopedia and charging for advertsing - journalism can learn to do the same.

That some what disappoints me though. The Daily Telegraph does have some very good articles you won't find elsewhere. Especially local content. They uncover stuff others just won't. But you can't get in.

Can't stand the Guardian. Absolute nonsense, but sometimes good for a laugh. Then they have the hide to ask for a donation at the end, while smacking advertising at you. Please ...... pull the other one.


And you too. Apart from SMH.

I would read the DT a lot - if it didn't have a paywall.

And there is also a lot of independent news, views and thought to be had from various YouTube channels. But that is not a popular source with Guardian fans around here, it seems - they prefer activist journalist written interpretations of dialogues and events rather than video coverage of them.
paulry is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2020, 11:00 pm
  #94  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,382
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Don't spot anything being remotely 'nailed'. But then we can see the same thing and interpret it differently according to individual belief system.

For starters it is not just a question of not thinking for themselves and being led by biased media, although that obviously is the case of many.
(ie, people tend to focus on media that is at least sympathetic towards their world outlook. Most do not have the inclination or indeed time to actively pursue
an intellectual alternative to ingrained bias)

It's not that the Murdoch press is just biased. Nor indeed that other press outlets don't have own agenda, but that the Murdoch press is so dominant in the media arena.
An over representation of any view, especially one so biased as to at times present more a case of disinformation in order to suit agenda, is neither healthy nor desirable for a democracy.

There is a reason governments seek the endorsement of Murdoch outlets. Not because of information value but the power they wield.

The Guardian is centre of left. At least they don't have a pay wall blocking casual access, unlike The Torygraph. A media source I don't mind but am obviously aware of their political affiliations.
There is a lot (mixed bag) of 'media' outlets online. Some of an extreme nature that go too often unchallenged or indeed doesn't accept alternative views.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2020, 1:46 am
  #95  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,147
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by paulry View Post


You've 100% nailed it.





And you too. Apart from SMH.

I would read the DT a lot - if it didn't have a paywall.

And there is also a lot of independent news, views and thought to be had from various YouTube channels. But that is not a popular source with Guardian fans around here, it seems - they prefer activist journalist written interpretations of dialogues and events rather than video coverage of them.
Not saying the SMH doesn't have a left agenda, it certainly does, but it has slowly worked its way towards the centre and does not provide the fantasy land like the Guardian does.

ABC / BBC has not made a mention yet, nor should it.
Beoz is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2020, 1:18 pm
  #96  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 334
abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
And there is also a lot of independent news, views and thought to be had from various YouTube channels.
Ahh, independent "News" on YouTube.

"Journalism" for those who can't be bothered to read, from "journalists" who can't be bothered to write.

It seems to involve lots of opinion, minimal fact-checking, and minimal editorial oversight.

Not really journalism at all.

Last edited by abner; Oct 15th 2020 at 1:23 pm.
abner is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 2:40 am
  #97  
NJJ
BE Forum Addict
 
NJJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,256
NJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to beholdNJJ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Fairfax - SMH in particular, seems to be my go to rag these days..

Fairfax merged with Ch9 a while back, with Ch9 being majority owners. 9 is headed by ( I believe still is ) Peter Costello who was a minister in John Howard's liberal government.


Back on topic, 2 Covid cases today in VIC. Hopefully the premier will ease restrictions this weekend, not fling the doors open such as having restaurants packed but outdoor gatherings, outdoor sports, visit family.

Small business owners being driven to the edge, there is one guy with a small clothes shop in Berwick who has opened for business this week as he is at breaking point. The cops visited and handed out a $10,000 fine.
NJJ is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 3:55 am
  #98  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,899
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by NJJ View Post
Fairfax merged with Ch9 a while back, with Ch9 being majority owners. 9 is headed by ( I believe still is ) Peter Costello who was a minister in John Howard's liberal government.


Back on topic, 2 Covid cases today in VIC. Hopefully the premier will ease restrictions this weekend, not fling the doors open such as having restaurants packed but outdoor gatherings, outdoor sports, visit family.

Small business owners being driven to the edge, there is one guy with a small clothes shop in Berwick who has opened for business this week as he is at breaking point. The cops visited and handed out a $10,000 fine.
The WHO's Wuhan Flu boss has been saying recently that the only guarantee with a lockdown is that it will make poor people poorer. Chairman Dan knows this but his agenda takes precedence
Amazulu is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 4:53 am
  #99  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,382
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Not saying the SMH doesn't have a left agenda, it certainly does, but it has slowly worked its way towards the centre and does not provide the fantasy land like the Guardian does.

ABC / BBC has not made a mention yet, nor should it.
The fantasy is the right wing press agenda with its disinformation that nothing can change. In other words declining conditions for working and middle class people cannot be halted. Global Trans Nationals call the shots.
Shut up and accept the outcome as fact. Except of course that is not the truth. The Guardian is merely left of centre and nothing more. They at least maintain 'a heart' and point out injustices .
the troubadour is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 4:58 am
  #100  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,382
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
The WHO's Wuhan Flu boss has been saying recently that the only guarantee with a lockdown is that it will make poor people poorer. Chairman Dan knows this but his agenda takes precedence
A very cliched statement if ever. In fact numerous people on low incomes are making more than when working, due to the way Australia implemented its assistance policy. What Dan knows if the virus was allowed to run, it would most likely have resulted in tens of thousands of cases. Instead of name calling The Premier as the ridiculous Murdoch press does at every opportunity, you could suggest an alternative that would have arrived at present outcomes. But of course can't.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 7:05 am
  #101  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,899
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A very cliched statement if ever. In fact numerous people on low incomes are making more than when working, due to the way Australia implemented its assistance policy. What Dan knows if the virus was allowed to run, it would most likely have resulted in tens of thousands of cases. Instead of name calling The Premier as the ridiculous Murdoch press does at every opportunity, you could suggest an alternative that would have arrived at present outcomes. But of course can't.
Not my statement champ - it's the WHO's Kung Flu expert's

Jobkeeper/Jobseeker and the like ain't going to last forever and is already being rolled back. The cost of that aid has/will cost the taxpayer a fortune and government spending will have to be cut (can't put up taxes - unless it's the GST - as we already hand over too much) to pay for it. Now the Feds should sack a shit ton of passengers (sorry, civil servants) to compensate but they won't, so realistically welfare and social spending will need to be slashed - and who bears the brunt of that? Yep, you guessed it, the poor! Kind of backs up what the WHO guy is saying - and there's the feedback loop.

Ta da
Amazulu is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 9:59 am
  #102  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,382
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Not my statement champ - it's the WHO's Kung Flu expert's

Jobkeeper/Jobseeker and the like ain't going to last forever and is already being rolled back. The cost of that aid has/will cost the taxpayer a fortune and government spending will have to be cut (can't put up taxes - unless it's the GST - as we already hand over too much) to pay for it. Now the Feds should sack a shit ton of passengers (sorry, civil servants) to compensate but they won't, so realistically welfare and social spending will need to be slashed - and who bears the brunt of that? Yep, you guessed it, the poor! Kind of backs up what the WHO guy is saying - and there's the feedback loop.

Ta da
But you are in accord with such statements. Well the government is passing on tax cuts. An odd time, some may have thought. The entire Jobkeeper policy was poorly thought out. Some getting more money than when working, all due to laziness, by the Feds. Other countries, pay a per cent of total earnings. Makes far more sense as no one is better off in EU/UK.

No the poor won't be worse necessarily. They are already seen their position decline over the years with neo liberal economic policy. More a case of more 'middle class' witnessing declining living standards and joining the ranks of the poor.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 12:03 pm
  #103  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,147
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
But you are in accord with such statements. Well the government is passing on tax cuts. An odd time, some may have thought. The entire Jobkeeper policy was poorly thought out. Some getting more money than when working, all due to laziness, by the Feds. Other countries, pay a per cent of total earnings. Makes far more sense as no one is better off in EU/UK.

No the poor won't be worse necessarily. They are already seen their position decline over the years with neo liberal economic policy. More a case of more 'middle class' witnessing declining living standards and joining the ranks of the poor.
Jobkeeper / Seeker wasn't thought out. It was created in a matter of hours and implemented for 6 months. Something you have to do when you shut the economy in a matter of hours.

I for one would.have love to of seen Jobkeeper / seeker been a percentage of earnings. However all those equality preachers, you know, those who use the term "neo liberals" would have cried foul that a system of percentages was benefiting the rich over the poor.

Ironically your neo liberalist government brought about a degree of equality you so badly crave.
Beoz is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 4:05 pm
  #104  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,345
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by abner View Post
Ahh, independent "News" on YouTube.

"Journalism" for those who can't be bothered to read, from "journalists" who can't be bothered to write.

It seems to involve lots of opinion, minimal fact-checking, and minimal editorial oversight.

Not really journalism at all.
Gone are the days where we can blindly accept what we read in the papers and magazines. In fact I don't think we ever could - but we did, and some people still do, it seems. These days "professional" journalism is so poor and biased it has precious few of the qualities you've mentioned above. It's not about being bothered to read and write. We now have more options for consuming information and people no longer trust journalists to tell them the truth - and they don't have to anymore. So they have turned to also watching real real life events like YouTube channels, web sites and another sources of information - video captured on peoples mobile phones, or conversations and opinions between normal people - and from people who have developed reputations they know and trust. As for fact checking - no matter how we consume news and opinion we need to independently fact check it ourselves - don't trust a source to feed you their news and opinion, and to fact check as well.

paulry is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2020, 10:36 pm
  #105  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,147
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Gone are the days where we can blindly accept what we read in the papers and magazines. In fact I don't think we ever could - but we did, and some people still do, it seems. These days "professional" journalism is so poor and biased it has precious few of the qualities you've mentioned above. It's not about being bothered to read and write. We now have more options for consuming information and people no longer trust journalists to tell them the truth - and they don't have to anymore. So they have turned to also watching real real life events like YouTube channels, web sites and another sources of information - video captured on peoples mobile phones, or conversations and opinions between normal people - and from people who have developed reputations they know and trust. As for fact checking - no matter how we consume news and opinion we need to independently fact check it ourselves - don't trust a source to feed you their news and opinion, and to fact check as well.
Bang on Paulry.

Gone of the days of having the Daily Mail being delivered to the doorstep by the paper boy as the only outlet of news.
Beoz is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.