British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Melbourne Metro restrictions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/melbourne-metro-restrictions-934587/)

abner Nov 6th 2020 1:26 am

Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12930418)
Edit: Ah wait. There's another way: The 120km long Rufus River Road: Which looks as grim as it sounds.

Grim?? The stretch in your photo appears to be a 4-lane motorway, mate. Wouldn't complain about that.

paulry Nov 7th 2020 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12931045)
If your 4wd doesn't get paint chipped and scratched and doesn't get dirty, you're not doing it right! Don't be one of those Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra 4wd (or, heaven forbid, SUV) owners who have never taken their vehicles anywhere near a dirt road, because 'ít might get dirty'. Wankers

Looks like an awesome trip. Do it

Not all of us drive around in paddock bashers. But fair comment, there's always the car wash.

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12931485)
Grim?? The stretch in your photo appears to be a 4-lane motorway, mate. Wouldn't complain about that.

Yeh, apart from looking like a road on Mars it's fine - actually, it'll be cool to travel on it.

Beoz Nov 7th 2020 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12932205)
Not all of us drive around in paddock bashers. But fair comment, there's always the car wash.

You will need more than a car wash. You will have dust in the door wells for starters. If you keep a distance from a car in front it should be a lot better. I did some off-road driving in the blue mountains a couple of months back and I am still finding dust. All good fun though.

I drove a campervan across there from Syd to Adelaide a few years ago. The campervan was far from a 4wd and it went fine.

Some interesting places to check out on the way. It's the food bowl of Australia.

paulry Nov 7th 2020 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12932462)
You will need more than a car wash. You will have dust in the door wells for starters. If you keep a distance from a car in front it should be a lot better. I did some off-road driving in the blue mountains a couple of months back and I am still finding dust. All good fun though.

I drove a campervan across there from Syd to Adelaide a few years ago. The campervan was far from a 4wd and it went fine.

Some interesting places to check out on the way. It's the food bowl of Australia.

Looking further through google maps, the end of that mars landscape dirt road gives way to hectares and hectares of vineyards. It's going to be a great journey and I think it's wise to take that route rather than risk with the bureaucracy and endangering the holiday by following the highway through Vic. But I know what you mean with the dust. To get to the place I once lived in Namibia many years ago it included a 100km long stretch along dirt road and the dust would get in everywhere. And when it was wet it was like a slalom. But when it was dry people drove like mad down that road, driving like idiots at well over the speed limit which I think for that stretch was 100km/h. Lots of people died on that road as the result.

Any recommended places to check out?

Beoz Nov 7th 2020 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12932503)
Looking further through google maps, the end of that mars landscape dirt road gives way to hectares and hectares of vineyards. It's going to be a great journey and I think it's wise to take that route rather than risk with the bureaucracy and endangering the holiday by following the highway through Vic. But I know what you mean with the dust. To get to the place I once lived in Namibia many years ago it included a 100km long stretch along dirt road and the dust would get in everywhere. And when it was wet it was like a slalom. But when it was dry people drove like mad down that road, driving like idiots at well over the speed limit which I think for that stretch was 100km/h. Lots of people died on that road as the result.

Any recommended places to check out?

Sticking close to the Murray was probably the best bet. Lots of water, greenery, etc. Deniliquin was an interesting place in that it it's full of bogans with some massive cars. Proper country town. Swan Hill was a nice place on the river.

Beoz Nov 13th 2020 5:29 am

Well this is a turn up for the books.

New Zealand has more new cases of Coronavirus than Australia.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/ocea...13-p56egm.html

moneypenny20 Nov 13th 2020 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12935211)
Well this is a turn up for the books.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/ocea...13-p56egm.html

A turn up for the books? Why? Are you suggesting anyone has said this wouldn't/couldn't happen?

Beoz Nov 13th 2020 9:31 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12935244)
A turn up for the books? Why? Are you suggesting anyone has said this wouldn't/couldn't happen?

What are you suggesting? Someone did say that?

Just saying, there was one, maybe 2 applauding NZ'ed hard line, economy busting, eradication stance. Eradication is obviously not achievable in certain jurisdictions. Why persue it? Moneypenny? Any answers to that?

moneypenny20 Nov 13th 2020 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12935252)
What are you suggesting? Someone did say that?

Just saying, there was one, maybe 2 applauding NZ'ed hard line, economy busting, eradication stance. Eradication is obviously not achievable in certain jurisdictions. Why persue it? Moneypenny? Any answers to that?

As you've consistently misunderstood, no one has suggested NZ has eradicated or can eradicate, in fact the powers that be and those applauding the hard line were very vocal that eradication was impossible.. Their aim was to eliminate. Whether they needed to deal with COVID the way they have done is not something I can answer. The majority of Kiwis obviously agreed with the way it was dealt with so whether you agree or disagree is completely irrelevant. I'm no expert and neither are you.

bcworld Nov 15th 2020 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12935211)

South Australia: hold my beer!

Beoz Nov 16th 2020 4:14 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12935265)
As you've consistently misunderstood, no one has suggested NZ has eradicated or can eradicate, in fact the powers that be and those applauding the hard line were very vocal that eradication was impossible.. Their aim was to eliminate. Whether they needed to deal with COVID the way they have done is not something I can answer. The majority of Kiwis obviously agreed with the way it was dealt with so whether you agree or disagree is completely irrelevant. I'm no expert and neither are you.

Call it elimination then - the complete removal of something. It doesn't work. Suppression is the only way forward even with the tightest of borders. Kiwi wave 2 and 3 seem to get that concept after a lot of economic and other health damage.

The WHO declare total lockdown a poor choice of virus management.

Beoz Nov 16th 2020 4:15 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12936129)
South Australia: hold my beer!

Exactly - I got in quick, on the day, or the 2 days it existed. It wasn't a great week for New Zealand. They lost their first back to back rugby games in nearly a decade and COVID came back.

NJJ Feb 15th 2021 12:40 am

Well despite our 'gold standard' hotel quarantine, and 'best in class' contact tracing Victoria is back in stage 4 covid restrictions :-(
It was annouced that it would be 5 days of restrictions, I have a bad feeling it will go on for longer than that.

Beoz Feb 15th 2021 3:24 am

Originally Posted by NJJ (Post 12973506)
Well despite our 'gold standard' hotel quarantine, and 'best in class' contact tracing Victoria is back in stage 4 covid restrictions :-(
It was annouced that it would be 5 days of restrictions, I have a bad feeling it will go on for longer than that.

BahaBahaha - 5 days ......... unlikely.

Don't worry. Pfizer has landed and quarrentine workers start next week and "shut the borders" can go away.

Retirednow Feb 15th 2021 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12922423)
Not my statement champ - it's the WHO's Kung Flu expert's

Jobkeeper/Jobseeker and the like ain't going to last forever and is already being rolled back. The cost of that aid has/will cost the taxpayer a fortune and government spending will have to be cut (can't put up taxes - unless it's the GST - as we already hand over too much) to pay for it. Now the Feds should sack a shit ton of passengers (sorry, civil servants) to compensate but they won't, so realistically welfare and social spending will need to be slashed - and who bears the brunt of that? Yep, you guessed it, the poor! Kind of backs up what the WHO guy is saying - and there's the feedback loop.

Ta da

Tax hasn’t paid welfare for over 40 years. Govt finance isn’t run like a household budget...