Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Metro restrictions

Melbourne Metro restrictions

Old Sep 10th 2020, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Metro restrictions

From the Chairman's daily briefing.

"It could be a great reassurance to metropolitan Melbourne that we can get these numbers down. When you get ’em low, you can keep them low. That’s what’s happening in regional Victoria at the moment.

“If the trend continues, and the numbers are very promising, we’ll be able to take a step, or steps, as early as toward the end of next week,” he said

And that then avoids having to divide the state up into regions, have police enforce all of those boundaries.”

Really Dan, you wouldn't open up the rest of Victoria because it's too hard to create boundaries?

There is no perspective here. He's lost the plot.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm lucky Beoz - we have miles of bush to walk around in starting from our house and a beautiful tree-lined avenue to walk along and a sense we are outside with views across the hills. I feel sorry for people in suburbs knocking around in their mcmansions.
Or an apartment...... good to hear the positive side.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a lucky 5km. River, The Tan, Albert Park, the beach. Probably made more use of it during lockdown than normal...getting out into it every day.

Old Sep 11th 2020, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you are OK bcworld. Some stunning photos there.
Old Sep 11th 2020, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Also the Victorian Liberals are also batsh!t crazy...they might get away with what they are in Qld but Vics will struggle to vote for them.
This will probably save the Chairman. There is no opposition in Victoria worth voting for. I don't think Dan is a bad man, he's just not very practical when it comes to managing a pandemic from all angles and throws the kitchen sink at control because control is the only weapon he has.

I'm not too focused on what happened in hotel quarantine. We know other states had systems very similar to Vic and there is an element of bad luck involved. E.g. we know NSW uses private security, we know they've been caught sleeping on the job, we know at least two of them have become infected and gone about their business afterwards. We know inmates have absconded from quarantine in other states or just recently in NSW popped out after falsifying some documents.
True ....... it looks like the difference between Vic and NSW was the ability to extinguish the spot fires with tracking and tracing.

In addition, in Vic it become riddled in the poorest, immigrant communities, which live and gather in larger numbers and aren't so great in understanding the health advice.
Old Sep 12th 2020, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
In addition, in Vic it become riddled in the poorest, immigrant communities, which live and gather in larger numbers and aren't so great in understanding the health advice.
It really showed the socio-economic side to this.

As for the roadmap...I agree it's horrible. I too am perplexed. I'm onboard until the end of October, then it gets crazy (the triggers). I guess I'm triggered by the triggers! Our local strips will be decimated by this if are held to these elimination targets...some of them were bad enough before all this.

And I'm starting to get irked. The messaging is starting to get poor. All of this buck passing about whose idea curfew was. What's written in the roadmap as absolutes (MUST, NOT BEFORE) vs. what's said in the press conferences...e.g. "maybe this will happen sooner". The relabeling of Elimination as "Aggressive Suppression".

While curfew does not have a major effect...there is nothing open anyway...from a precedent point of view it's extreme.

Lastly, I don't think any of this is driven by a power grab or anything sinister. Rather, the Vic government is paralysed by the fear of doing the wrong thing...again.
Great points, agreed. It was a road map : classic management of expectations.
Now regional going 2 stages makes him look like he is capable of pragmatic action (but metro is completely different). "Look over here!"

Yes, the curfew is not an issue: it has been dark for winter and the extra hour tomorrow reflects that.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 10:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too focused on what happened in hotel quarantine. We know other states had systems very similar to Vic and there is an element of bad luck involved. E.g. we know NSW uses private security, we know they've been caught sleeping on the job, we know at least two of them have become infected and gone about their business afterwards. We know inmates have absconded from quarantine in other states or just recently in NSW popped out after falsifying some documents.
...another hotel quarantine story from NSW. Horny....sorry, Hornsby woman sneaks in to join ADF member in hotel quarantine. Again shows that hotel quarantine is risky and regardless of who's overseeing it, shit happens. Not sure why, but I assumed quarantine hotels were dedicated to that purpose, and not likely to be a mix of quarantined and regular paying guests.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...93218c0cbc2fd5
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

...another hotel quarantine story from NSW. Horny....sorry, Hornsby woman sneaks in to join ADF member in hotel quarantine. Again shows that hotel quarantine is risky and regardless of who's overseeing it, shit happens. Not sure why, but I assumed quarantine hotels were dedicated to that purpose, and not likely to be a mix of quarantined and regular paying guests.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...93218c0cbc2fd5
Would he get the high five off the mates?

They got caught and the randy 53 year old has to go through this.

The woman was directed to check out of the hotel immediately, and undergo a COVID-19 test before isolating at her Hornsby home.

Hotel quarantine is far from perfect which is why an elimination strategy is just dumb. Better off investing in the instant COVID test, then we can open up the international borders and do away with hotel quarantine all together.

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 16th 2020 at 1:11 am.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:28 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You can't eliminate - and his targets are ridiculous.
People are frustrated as the goalposts keep moving. First of all the stave govt rhetoric was 'flattening the curve' then it was 'ensuring that hospitals are not overwhelmed'. Now is seems to be a seemingly impossible elimination strategy. The state of emergency was rushed through parliament with a late night sitting in the upper house and rumours of backroom deals with independents & greens. The premier stated the extension was only 'an insurance policy' in case further restrictions are required in the next 6 months. Now the lockdown is extended until November at least....

As for the roadmap...I agree it's horrible. I too am perplexed. I'm onboard until the end of October, then it gets crazy (the triggers). I guess I'm triggered by the triggers! Our local strips will be decimated by this if are held to these elimination targets...some of them were bad enough before all this.

And I'm starting to get irked. The messaging is starting to get poor. All of this buck passing about whose idea curfew was. What's written in the roadmap as absolutes (MUST, NOT BEFORE) vs. what's said in the press conferences...e.g. "maybe this will happen sooner". The relabeling of Elimination as "Aggressive Suppression".

While curfew does not have a major effect...there is nothing open anyway...from a precedent point of view it's extreme.

Lastly, I don't think any of this is driven by a power grab or anything sinister. Rather, the Vic government is paralysed by the fear of doing the wrong thing...again.
Many businesses will not be in a position to open up again after this economic strangling over the past months. The state govt roadmap almost smacks of a 'plan to implement when they had no plan'.

From the Chairman's daily briefing.

"It could be a great reassurance to metropolitan Melbourne that we can get these numbers down. When you get ’em low, you can keep them low. That’s what’s happening in regional Victoria at the moment.

“If the trend continues, and the numbers are very promising, we’ll be able to take a step, or steps, as early as toward the end of next week,” he said

And that then avoids having to divide the state up into regions, have police enforce all of those boundaries.”

Really Dan, you wouldn't open up the rest of Victoria because it's too hard to create boundaries?

There is no perspective here. He's lost the plot.
There is no opposition in Victoria worth voting for..
In my local area the population is just over 37,000, we have had no covid cases in the past 2 weeks at least (that I have been monitoring the numbers on the DHSS website). Yet still have to adhere to these lockdown measures, stay home 23 hours (22 from this week) per day!

Agreed there is no opposition worth voting for. The libs lost the last election, one reason was that people remembered candidate Matthew Guys for ruining a lot of Melbourne's heritage as planning minisiter 'captain rubberstamp' approving a lot of unfettered developments to take place. The current leader Michael OBrien was the arrogant treasurer last time the libs were in power who signed off the East/West Link a few weeks before they were voted out of office, costing the state over a billion dollars!

Old Sep 17th 2020, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NJJ
People are frustrated as the goalposts keep moving. First of all the stave govt rhetoric was 'flattening the curve' then it was 'ensuring that hospitals are not overwhelmed'. Now is seems to be a seemingly impossible elimination strategy. The state of emergency was rushed through parliament with a late night sitting in the upper house and rumours of backroom deals with independents & greens. The premier stated the extension was only 'an insurance policy' in case further restrictions are required in the next 6 months. Now the lockdown is extended until November at least....

Many businesses will not be in a position to open up again after this economic strangling over the past months. The state govt roadmap almost smacks of a 'plan to implement when they had no plan'.

In my local area the population is just over 37,000, we have had no covid cases in the past 2 weeks at least (that I have been monitoring the numbers on the DHSS website). Yet still have to adhere to these lockdown measures, stay home 23 hours (22 from this week) per day!

Agreed there is no opposition worth voting for. The libs lost the last election, one reason was that people remembered candidate Matthew Guys for ruining a lot of Melbourne's heritage as planning minisiter 'captain rubberstamp' approving a lot of unfettered developments to take place. The current leader Michael OBrien was the arrogant treasurer last time the libs were in power who signed off the East/West Link a few weeks before they were voted out of office, costing the state over a billion dollars!
Sadly for Dan, this blanket approach really shows him up as not the most intelligent around. I was reading about the town of Mildura who have had to endure Melbourne's hardline approach despite being no where near any COVID cases - that includes attempting to educate kids from home. Its just wrong that a politician can place such restrictions on the people of Mildura

I know NSW would never do this. If they had to lock down a hotspot, it would be a hotspot, and let the rest function as normal. I see NSW is opening up to the Victorian regions ASAP.

I don't know Melbourne like a local but getting from the airport over to the east is a painful experience. Surely an East West link would have been a good thing?
Old Sep 17th 2020, 2:52 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Melbourne like a local but getting from the airport over to the east is a painful experience. Surely an East West link would have been a good thing?

Living in outer east suburbs, I for one was hoping for the east west link. It was the major election point through as there was a lot of opposition to it especially from inner eastern residents who would have had a lot of disruption due to building works and forced acquisition of their homes. Labor went to the election on the main promise of cancelling the project. The Libs (whether out of spite or not, who knows?) put in many clauses that the project could not be cancelled or compensation running into over a billion $ would have to be paid out to cancel contracts for planning & construction. Labor won the election, the project was cancelled & the compensation paid.

Going back to the Andrews government & Covid situation. Another major gripe for the Victorian public is that whilst putting this economic stranglehold on the Victorian population, many people experiencing job losses etc. The Victorian state polititians have pocketed an eye watering 11.8% pay rise! Absolutely unbelievable during these times of hardship. Although I am no fan of Jacinta Arden in NZ, at least their MPs had the nouse & sense of what was going on in the general population to knock back the payrise offered during the pandemic over there.

The government spouts about if people are casual workers etc that don't qualify for sick pay and have to self isolate for a few weeks a $1500 payment is available. This may well have been introduced with good intent, however the 2 people I know that tried to claim it advised that the effort to go through the claim process makes it almost impossible - I still don't know if either got the payment. Also if people are casual workers, if they do get the $1500 payment as I understand it there is no guarantee that their job will be available to go back to i.e. the employer could have hired another casual worker by then. No wonder pepole go into work sick.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NJJ
Living in outer east suburbs, I for one was hoping for the east west link. It was the major election point through as there was a lot of opposition to it especially from inner eastern residents who would have had a lot of disruption due to building works and forced acquisition of their homes. Labor went to the election on the main promise of cancelling the project. The Libs (whether out of spite or not, who knows?) put in many clauses that the project could not be cancelled or compensation running into over a billion $ would have to be paid out to cancel contracts for planning & construction. Labor won the election, the project was cancelled & the compensation paid.
Disruption due to building works?? That's a little short sighted. Now they have to put up with surface traffic forever rather than it being underground in tunnels.

So Labor cut of its nose to spite its face. We ran with no East West link as a policy so now we have to cancel contracts and pay out.

Originally Posted by NJJ
Going back to the Andrews government & Covid situation. Another major gripe for the Victorian public is that whilst putting this economic stranglehold on the Victorian population, many people experiencing job losses etc. The Victorian state polititians have pocketed an eye watering 11.8% pay rise! Absolutely unbelievable during these times of hardship. Although I am no fan of Jacinta Arden in NZ, at least their MPs had the nouse & sense of what was going on in the general population to knock back the payrise offered during the pandemic over there.

The government spouts about if people are casual workers etc that don't qualify for sick pay and have to self isolate for a few weeks a $1500 payment is available. This may well have been introduced with good intent, however the 2 people I know that tried to claim it advised that the effort to go through the claim process makes it almost impossible - I still don't know if either got the payment. Also if people are casual workers, if they do get the $1500 payment as I understand it there is no guarantee that their job will be available to go back to i.e. the employer could have hired another casual worker by then. No wonder pepole go into work sick.
I have no problem with politicians being paid well. They are running a country or state. Hopefully better pay will encourage a better standard applying for the job.

Just reading it here. Sounds like an independent tribunal decision.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...-rise/11520214
Old Sep 17th 2020, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Chairman has made it to the Washo Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ac8_story.html

Ardern - lift your publicity game. Dan is coming for you.

That would leave Melbourne’s 5 million residents confined indoors for 115 days, longer than the 92-day lockdown in Manila, 76 days in Wuhan, China, 58 days in Italy and 33 days across New Zealand.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 9:58 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

I have no problem with politicians being paid well. They are running a country or state. Hopefully better pay will encourage a better standard applying for the job.

Just reading it here. Sounds like an independent tribunal decision.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...-rise/11520214
Normally I would agree with that statement, however these are not normal times. Accepting 11.8% rise whilst shutting down industries indefinitely causing people to lose jobs is a smack in the face to the public. One also wonders how 'independent' the remuneration tribumal is....
Old Sep 18th 2020, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NJJ
Normally I would agree with that statement, however these are not normal times. Accepting 11.8% rise whilst shutting down industries indefinitely causing people to lose jobs is a smack in the face to the public. One also wonders how 'independent' the remuneration tribumal is....
Timing wasn't great, that's for sure. 11.8% is not in line with everyone else. Perhaps the tribunal ruled they were under paid. It would be good to see their justification for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.