Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are the Melbourne burbs really boring in oz?

Are the Melbourne burbs really boring in oz?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the Melbourne burbs really boring in oz?

Originally Posted by fraser
Point Cook is near the beach and it is dull, dull, dull and soulless.
But entirely peaceful and relatively crime free - but as I say it's only 20-30 minute drive to most places you'd want to visit anyway, which is the point I'm trying to make rather than debating Point Cook, my points will be valid for a multitude of suburbs in Melbourne.

Bottom line is, life is as exciting as you want it to be, it's still the person rather than their location that will generate the excitement in their lives.

Last edited by sr71; Jul 14th 2009 at 8:09 am.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:56 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
But entirely peaceful and relatively crime free - but as I say it's only 20-30 minute drive to most places you'd want to visit anyway, which is the point I'm trying to make rather than debating Point Cook, my points will be valid for a multitude of suburbs in Melbourne.

Bottom line is, life is as exciting as you want it to be, it's still the person rather than their location that will generate the excitement in their lives.
For me peaceful = dead, horses for courses but I hate peaceful

That's the point though isn't it you have to drive 20-30 minutes to find any where lively which is the OP's original point most suburbs in Melbourne are boring, yet others compensate by at least being easy on the eye where as point cook is anything but.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it also depends on your circumstances, there is no way I'd live in one of the outer suburbs if I was single or we were just a childless couple. Additionally if you wanted to have things like a boat, jetskis, motorbikes and other 'lifestyle' things then living in the inner suburbs can be a pain, or even prohibitive for doing these sorts of things.

It's not my suburb or choice, but it suits us for the time-being and is a hell of a lot better than many other suburbs. And quite frankly the $1500 we save in rent a month living here rather than middle of the road south-eastern suburb is definitely worth it for our savings.

And as for driving, unless you do live in one of these suburbs you have to drive anyway. Many of my work colleagues live in Hampton, McKinnon, Caulfield, Kew etc, reasonably upmarket suburbs and they still have to generally drive anywhere anyway.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:45 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

But entirely peaceful and relatively crime free - but as I say it's only 20-30 minute drive to most places you'd want to visit anyway
Mmm, I'm sold
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:55 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally: suburbs = hell on earth

I would never buy somewhere I hated just because I could afford it. Live my life hating where I was? That's no life. Rather rent somewhere I enjoyed. Owning your bricks and mortar (ok, wood and tin) don't mean diddly. Not like you can take it with you when you kark it, is it?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peepster
Mmm, I'm sold
I'm not trying to sell anything, just pointing out that much of this 'excitement' that people are looking for is psychological.

I consider it perfectly acceptable to travel 20-30 minutes to go somewhere. In London it took me similar times or more to go from St Johns Wood to the Westend, Chelsea, Shoreditch. In South Yarra it took me just as long to walk to the station and get a train into the city, or to walk to a bar in Prahran, even longer to go somewhere like St Kilda or Fitzroy.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:28 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

I'm not trying to sell anything, just pointing out that much of this 'excitement' that people are looking for is psychological.

I consider it perfectly acceptable to travel 20-30 minutes to go somewhere. In London it took me similar times or more to go from St Johns Wood to the Westend, Chelsea, Shoreditch. In South Yarra it took me just as long to walk to the station and get a train into the city, or to walk to a bar in Prahran, even longer to go somewhere like St Kilda or Fitzroy.
But the OP stated that they enjoyed living in Brighton when they previously lived here so why say to them 'it's crap and boring'? Not very helpful to them now is it? If you can dish it out dude you've got to learn to take it
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:21 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I also like some of the countryside a hour or so from melb, however the bush fire risk always put me off ( after seeing a school with a steel lined hall) and that fear was pretty much confirmed this year. Others deal with that risk but it wasnt for me.
It depends on where in the bush/hills you are. We have never looked back on our decision, but we are in a village that is "safer" than most. I was looking at places like Cockatoo & Emerald today which are fairly high risk, and was very surprised at how cheap it is, and the amount of houses for sale. Possibly an indication of how people are looking at things after this years fires.

$450k will now get you a big house, half acre of more with possibly even a pool in both villages at the moment.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
It depends on where in the bush/hills you are. We have never looked back on our decision, but we are in a village that is "safer" than most. I was looking at places like Cockatoo & Emerald today which are fairly high risk, and was very surprised at how cheap it is, and the amount of houses for sale. Possibly an indication of how people are looking at things after this years fires.
Cockatoo has always been the cheaper Dandenong village...more feral than many others. Friends will happily admit it is where a lot of people run to...Emerald better but also slightly alternative. Both places were OK last summer but the Churchill fire was creeping up on Cockatoo etc...

Where you are is next to dense bushland but not so dry...not sure infact..fire topography is a funny old thing...
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:59 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Cockatoo has always been the cheaper Dandenong village...more feral than many others. Friends will happily admit it is where a lot of people run to...Emerald better but also slightly alternative. Both places were OK last summer but the Churchill fire was creeping up on Cockatoo etc...

Where you are is next to dense bushland but not so dry...not sure infact..fire topography is a funny old thing...
We went to the cockatoo rodeo this year, and I always knew that it was a bit feral there, but it was plain scary. Police everywhere !!

Monbulk has pretty much the highest rainfall in Victoria, thats why its a big growing area. It also means that there are a lot more large areas where the trees/vegetation has been cleared, but with 40 degrees plus and high winds, what is "safe". Personally I love Emerald, and there are some fab houses there, but it just a bit too remote for me.

Where abouts are you in the Dandenongs?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:17 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived in Elsternwick for over 3 years now...and it's a great suburb..lots of life, good schools, shops, all amenities, and fantastic for cafes and restaurants..
And very nicely placed between the sea and city - trams, trains and buses to the latter...20 mins tops.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:29 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
We've lived in Elsternwick for over 3 years now...and it's a great suburb..lots of life, good schools, shops, all amenities, and fantastic for cafes and restaurants..
And very nicely placed between the sea and city - trams, trains and buses to the latter...20 mins tops.
Great suburb but unless your loaded no good for families.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:32 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

True.

We have no dependant kids (as you know) but do have an expensive kitten

Hello Fraser...hope you are all well
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:35 pm
Going for a ride

did a search for $450k to $600k Elsternwick and surrounding areas and if you want more than 2 bedrooms you might be stuggling

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...size=&o=d&p=20
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Personally: suburbs = hell on earth

I would never buy somewhere I hated just because I could afford it. Live my life hating where I was? That's no life. Rather rent somewhere I enjoyed. Owning your bricks and mortar (ok, wood and tin) don't mean diddly. Not like you can take it with you when you kark it, is it?
Having lived in Oz for nearly 4 years, best to stay where you are,' I reckon' hubby's thought's seem about right to me...best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.