Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Meeting people from BE/Online...Is it a bad idea?

Wikiposts

Meeting people from BE/Online...Is it a bad idea?

Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:45 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meeting people from BE/Online...Is it a bad idea?

Any ladeeeees fancy a meet in a quiet country lane ?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:57 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Naughty! I was just about to say I will probably meet my next wife on-line

Seriuously though (I think I can do that) we went to meets over here and back there but bottled out the first time each. But I am so glad we tried again. We have done lots both sides now. I think people who can do this are so much more likely to succeed. You may be surprised to hear we are both very shy.

It helped enormously to find people in the same situations as us to calm our fears. But we also made friends we still talk to and made the trepidation of the move go away. We also made friends (and leads to future friends) that have made settling in so easy.

So tell your kids not to do it, but go and make friends on-line yourselves!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
I think Cairns may well be off our list now Too many dodgy cats
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
Naughty! I was just about to say I will probably meet my next wife on-line

Seriuously though (I think I can do that) we went to meets over here and back there but bottled out the first time each. But I am so glad we tried again. We have done lots both sides now. I think people who can do this are so much more likely to succeed. You may be surprised to hear we are both very shy.

It helped enormously to find people in the same situations as us to calm our fears. But we also made friends we still talk to and made the trepidation of the move go away. We also made friends (and leads to future friends) that have made settling in so easy.

So tell your kids not to do it, but go and make friends on-line yourselves!
Its very hard to make new friends, some people find it very difficult so well done for throwing yourselves in at the deep end, I hope we are as brave!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:53 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdt3000
Why is there such a bad rep for meeting new people online? I was speaking to someone last night at a Moviefest who was REALLY putting down people who use the internet as a means of meeting others.

Is it really as unhealthy and 'sad' as people suggest? Or are these people just way too ignorant and don't know who and what they are missing? I have met quite a few cool people online using BE, it's definitely been handy for meeting other people my age. While I realise in an ideal world we would all meet people out and about during our daily lives, but surely if you are unable to attend work/uni/clubs etc (for whatever reason), the internet is an acceptable medium to meet new people?

I mean, when I first got here, I could not get a job (1. They are so damn picky, 2. They take forever to make decisions), University was/is unappealing as I don't know what I want to do and the prices for the courses are high, and the amount of social clubs on the Sunshine Coast leave a lot to be desired! People have said "Go to bars/pubs/clubs etc", but like most people, I'm not the kind of person that just waltzes into such places and makes mates! I'd feel like a right idiot going to a bar on my own!

Now I have a job I'm sure that I will start making some friends through that, but I won't deny that BE has done me some favors!

What does everyone else think?
From where I'm standing, it's be best idea I've ever had. Others will know why
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy
From where I'm standing, it's be best idea I've ever had. Others will know why
Its lovely to see you posting again Bundy - sounds like life is treating you well - and you deserve it
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:37 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to two weddings of people who've met on the internet, I've just realised. That's half the weddings I've been too!
The first marriage I went to (a 'normal' one, so to speak), they broke up when the guy met someone else, on the internet, moved in with her, had a kid, got married and lived happily ever after(it's about 8 years later now), ha ha! (ok, not so ha ha for that first wife, but he is very happy now).

Anyway, that second internet marriage was last April (very nice ceremony at Cottosloe Civic Centre in Perth, for those who know it). They met via an online fan club of a rock group. Became friends. She's from Perth, and was going to go travelling in Europe and work in the UK (as you do...), but just before she left she spoke to him on the phone, and decided to visit him instead. So she flew to The Netherlands instead of London. He told his parents he needed to borrow the car, because he was picking up a girl at the airport in the middle of the night (his dad joked at the wedding they were just relieved it wasn't a guy!(was definetly a joke btw)).
They kissed at the airport, he took her home(still lived with his parents, but they were about about mid 20's), and she lived with him and his parents for the next 3 years!
Last year they moved to Perth, have got their own house now, got married this year, looking at buying a house, and then kids hopefully next year!

Btw, the 'penpals' thing is how we explained this 'getting to know people on the internet' thing to my colleague (who's 60, and hasn't really got a clue). Though we did say, it's more direct and full on than penpals usually, expecially now with chat and even webcams and skype. You can get to know people just as well, or better than you normally would face to face.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:49 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have met a lot - dozens - of people through BE, some of whom have become really good friends. It just needs some common sense - try and meet in groups, and in a public place - until you get to know each other.
People I have met through BE are now my best mates here, we go to their homes for meals, meet for drinks, people from the site were at our wedding, and we have been to stay with others while on holiday - Chez Hevs comes highly recommended!!!
Be sensible, thats all
Can I be your friend too? Now that I'm no longer sectioned I'm really up for meeting new and interesting people...and following them all day long
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:57 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

best thing we have done in Oz
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:37 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Bit dodgy, I'd never meet up with anyone from BE.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:18 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
what do you mean IF you meet some nutter
most of the people in the BE bar are certifiable

Speak for yourself barman!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:38 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I was really wary of meeting anyone online.....You hear all the rumours but I must say meeting up with the Scottish Lassies, especially Margaret, Gill and Susan (as well as everyone else) has been a godsend. Back in the UK Susan and I would meet for coffee, Gill's (herchooks) texts have been a lifesaver here and what can I say about oor Margaret....!

You have to be sensible, doing the public place, coffee etc as you would anyone else....Who's to say that person you met in the open isn't mad!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:56 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

and what can I say about oor Margaret....!

Ginny[/QUOTE]

gorgeous
intelligent
funny
intuitive
lively
generous
tea-total - ok am pushing it now
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:56 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
Bit dodgy, I'd never meet up with anyone from BE.

yes you bloody well will
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
When I was working in Oz in 2002 I bought myself a computer and on a day off looked into the UK Friends Reunited. I noticed a guys name and although I didn't know him,just felt I should look at what he'd written about himself.I liked his dry sense of humour and was amazed to see that I was a year above him at school, had worked in the same pub while at college, knew the same group of friends AND while growing up had lived 2 mins away from each other. We started a 9 month friendship via email and phone and grew close. He looked into getting a job transfer out to Melbourne to be with me,but couldn't get one. So, I returned to the UK because I felt we should be together and I just knew it would be ok. I moved in with him about 3 weeks after returning to the Uk. It just felt right. We'd emailed and phoned each other for 9 months while I was out in Oz and felt we knew each other well before we embarked on anything more serious.

Almost a year to the day of my return to the Uk I was diagnosed with breast cancer. We helped each other through that horrific time and although we felt heartbroken by the diagnosis we managed to get through 2 lots of major surgery, 4 months of chemotherapy, 5 weeks of daily readiotherapy and got married at the end of that year!!
We've been married for a year and a half now and I feel more well than ever with no signs of a reocurrance. As you can see, we've applied for Ozzy Residence. We want to have our life back in Melbourne that we almost had before I came back. Before the shit hit the fan so to speak. It's like a new start for us. Whatever happens in the future we'll be together, hopefully in Melbourne enjoying everything about that place that we love.

So, without the internet we wouldn't have met each other. We both took a risk by getting together after meeting on the internet and took lots of slagging at the time from our mates but no-one says anything to us now. We've proved them all wrong, and we're happier than ever and planning for a future in Oz even after the emotional and physical battering, literally.
I say don't be put off by meeting people through the "net". It's the "pen-pals" of yesteryear, and hopefully sites like this create new, safe and well grounded supportive friendships.
Keep well and happy everyone.

*pearly*
Geeze Pearl, what a life you lead,
You both sound like one in a million and i hope we can interrupt your life in Melbourne fur a wee schwally ok, Hamilton will have to do for now

Last edited by Margaret2; Jun 14th 2006 at 10:10 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.