Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

May Book Club Review - A Million Little Pieces

May Book Club Review - A Million Little Pieces

Old May 23rd 2008, 4:00 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future
Default May Book Club Review - A Million Little Pieces

Sydney Book Club met last night to eat, drink and be merry and.... oh yeah, talk about A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

Reaction was mixed :-

Of the 5 of us that had read the whole book, 4 really enjoyed it but 1 found the writing-style a bit frustrating, an opinion in tune with the 2 people that didn't finish the book through either frustration or irritation with the writing-style. Another thought the writing-style was poetic, lyrical, and very evocative.

The group was split between those that thought the story well-told in that it brought the reader an understanding and empathy with the addict's situation, and those that thought it too exaggerated and overblown, with the constant repetition boring the reader.

Re the 'Oprah' issue (a while after the book's publication as 'a true story' it was realised that James Frey had 'embellished' the facts), a few of us felt a bit disappointed/betrayed, while others thought it irrelevant because it was still a good read. One person commented to the effect 'Did you really expect the truth from a junkie?'.

Well, that's what we thought (I hope I've remembered everyone's comments correctly!) - what do those of you standing round 'The Barbie' think?
Old May 26th 2008, 10:25 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Re: May Book Club Review - A Million Little Pieces

Originally Posted by 22B
Sydney Book Club met last night to eat, drink and be merry and.... oh yeah, talk about A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

Reaction was mixed :-

Of the 5 of us that had read the whole book, 4 really enjoyed it but 1 found the writing-style a bit frustrating, an opinion in tune with the 2 people that didn't finish the book through either frustration or irritation with the writing-style. Another thought the writing-style was poetic, lyrical, and very evocative.

The group was split between those that thought the story well-told in that it brought the reader an understanding and empathy with the addict's situation, and those that thought it too exaggerated and overblown, with the constant repetition boring the reader.

Re the 'Oprah' issue (a while after the book's publication as 'a true story' it was realised that James Frey had 'embellished' the facts), a few of us felt a bit disappointed/betrayed, while others thought it irrelevant because it was still a good read. One person commented to the effect 'Did you really expect the truth from a junkie?'.

Well, that's what we thought (I hope I've remembered everyone's comments correctly!) - what do those of you standing round 'The Barbie' think?
Hi 22b
This is the first chance i've had to get on here since book club and I think you have done a great job putting our opinions on here.
I did find the book hard work but I also enjoyed reading it, I think I just wanted to get to the end to find out what happend. do have more opinions but I have that much going on around me at the moment I just can't think straight so will try again later.
Thanks 22b for opening up your home to us I loved the carrots, also a big thanks to Sal who was kind enough to eat the cheese and leave me the pineapple so I stuck to my diet (well almost anyway)
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:23 am
Just Joined

portalplayer is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all book clubbers

sorry I missed the last meeting, i was moving places!!

What is the next book and when do we need to read it by?

Thanks

Lesley
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 22B
I enjoyed it actually, but I must admit the admission that he'd lied did mar the experience a tad. The bit where he rescues his girlfriend from scoring a trick so she can buy some gear was a bit of a

I did like his ultimate message on alcohol/drugs in that he was not powerless over them (as is the mantra of AA and other addiction resources) but that he was still in control and it was his choice. I thought it was an interesting take on his experience.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:12 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by portalplayer
What is the next book and when do we need to read it by?

It's The Time Traveler's Wife and we will meet in St Ives on 3rd July.

There is a thread started for it in the 'Meet Ups' section - get subscribed to that so you can keep in the know once a time is fixed up, etc

See you in July

- 22B