Marriage Allowance

Old Dec 9th 2019, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Marriage Allowance

This is not going to help everybody on here but it might come in handy for some of you. It certainly helped me!

I had a friend come over from England last week and we were talking about taxes and stuff in the UK. I realised that I was still being taxed in the UK as a single chap and I ought to tell them that I got married a few years ago to see if that changed anything. You see I'm in receipt of a private pension in the UK and it does attract a bit of income tax.

I called HMRC and, within about ten minutes they had changed my Marriage Allowance status as well as changing the last three years retrospectively. The net result of that phone call is that I'm going to get a cheeky little cheque in the post in a couple of weeks as well as not having to pay any more tax on my pension in the future. Result