Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher is dead

Originally Posted by Zen10
Like manufacturing, the main issue is cost of wages, and also health and safety costs. Thatcher knew Britain could never compete with companies using Chinese slaves, and with zero H&S costs as well (hence all the weekly Chinese mine collapse stories in the newspapers).

She knew that, and she acted on it. This part of her policy I have never had a major problem with, but she could have handled it better, and put more in place to help with the transition of the economy. The problem was her faith in the "free market" to sort everything out.
Disagree. Australia, Canada, Norway etc exploit and export resources from a high wage, HSE cost base. Investment in new projects in these countries continues. I reckon that much of the UK coal industry was unviable in the mid-'80s and was only kept going because it was nationalised.

Whether she could have handled it better is a good point. Maybe she could have.

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 15th 2013 at 6:13 am.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:54 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The change happened too quickly and nothing came in its place leaving areas of high levels of long term unemployment.

High currencies need high value add industry whatever that industry may be.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Disagree. Australia, Canada, Norway etc exploit and export resources from a high wage, HSE cost base. Investment in new projects in these countries continues. I reckon that much of the UK coal industry was unviable in the mid-'80s and was inly kept going because it was nationalised.

Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:21 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree. Australia, Canada, Norway etc exploit and export resources from a high wage, HSE cost base. Investment in new projects in these countries continues. I reckon that much of the UK coal industry was unviable in the mid-'80s and was only kept going because it was nationalised.

It's true these countries export resources, but how many of those mining interests are owned by Chinese firms? Who does that benefit apart from a few local jobs? Are they more efficient than SOEs? I don't know a lot about it.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's true these countries export resources, but how many of those mining interests are owned by Chinese firms? Who does that benefit apart from a few local jobs? Are they more efficient than SOEs? I don't know a lot about it.
Most of the companies that operate in the countries listed are western owned. Some Chinese companies own mines in Australia but their number is limited as our government places restrictions on them
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:07 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
How much money would you have wanted to be paid as a miner.... ? Everyone asked themselves that question during that first dispute. I think the newspapers at the time posed that question on more than one occasion. So no one I knew of anywhere objected to them getting whatever they wanted.
It's not a case of how much do you want it's a case of how much money will the govt. have to put in the coffers to pay the wages. Not many of the pits were running at a profit, some were but the ones running at a loss meant a net loss across the board. It's all well & good saying pay them X but if X is more than the product they produce it's a no win situation.
One thing I have never understood is why did more of these mines not reopen after the unions were broken? UK still has a few mines operating, but only some of them are truly profitable, the rest are marginal and probably going to close. If more mines were cost effective they would be working today.
A few of the pits that were profitable were lost due to the strike. Scargil wanted NACODS to come out as well as the NUM. The resulting lack of maintenance closed the pits due to safety issues. Seems weird to me but if you can pump out a mine to keep it going surely you could do the same again
The coal is still there under the ground & one day it may become profitable to mine it again. Hopefully when the rest of the worlds has been consumed lol.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:27 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>So for me personally it was the best part of my working life.... I really did never have it so good. Got to admit work and life usually always seems good to youngsters starting out so my view could be tempered by my age at the time.<<

Another view of Britain in the 70s: OK, from the Torygraph but very much as I remember it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...efore-her.html
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in another thread, the fighting at the semi final was pro thatcher supporters being confronted by anti thatcher Millwall fans.

Heres a snippet of the goings on at Trafalgar square.

Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice

Originally Posted by rajj
The irony of it, BLAMING (in your words) the parents!!!

Blaming just one person is perhaps simplistic....a bit like Adolf was not responsible ALONE and should not take responsibility for the extremists in Rostock as it was 60years ago (FFS you cannot be serious!!). In the context of the article its not stupid at all - you reject it fine, but its not stupid.
Why is it ironic to blame the parents. What is wrong with parental responsibility. It is wrong to blame one person. I think the article may make lazy stupid parents feel better about themselves, and nod to each other, See we aren't crap parents, it was all the gov fault our kids are ****ed. You don't think that's stupid. I do think that's stupid. I think its a major cop out
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice

Originally Posted by rajj
Not surprisingly I agree, but have to say that within minutes of her death, my reaction was to post my 'real' thoughts and fury and not hold back and I knew there and then the consequences that were coming. I know some people (including non thatcher fans) are disgusted but I would not have been able to keep my head up had I not let this 'fury' be vented. Fortunately (tho not surprisingly) millions in the UK feel the same as me.
So you could not have held up your head had you not let your fury be vented, and you admit you wrote some disgusting things. I guess you and me would never agree on anything. I was bought up to be respectful of people who have passed over , no matter what I thought of them in life. I guess that's how I would hold MY head up.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:15 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Originally Posted by bibblybobbly
So you could not have held up your head had you not let your fury be vented, and you admit you wrote some disgusting things. I guess you and me would never agree on anything. I was bought up to be respectful of people who have passed over , no matter what I thought of them in life. I guess that's how I would hold MY head up.
This is typical of the kind of rubbish that people write when they want to give someone a 'put down'. They know in their heart that some people are just too affected or passionate about a topic that no matter what they said or wrote it would not change their opponents perspective on the matter. So how else can they stick the boot in? I know, let's attack their moral standing. Would you have said the same thing to Adolf's critics (and how many millions of them?). Think carefully about that one. Some people in history deliberately and knowingly set themselves on a morally wrong path. Maggie knew exactly what she was doing with her policies and ultimately what that would lead to for the working classes. I will not be posting on here again, (don't all cheer at once), the sympathy for Maggie sickens me to the stomach. I will be glad when the funeral is over so we can get on with our lives and not be constantly reminded of her on a daily basis.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:20 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
This is typical of the kind of rubbish that people write when they want to give someone a 'put down'. They know in their heart that some people are just too affected or passionate about a topic that no matter what they said or wrote it would not change their opponents perspective on the matter. So how else can they stick the boot in? I know, let's attack their moral standing. Would you have said the same thing to Adolf's critics (and how many millions of them?). Think carefully about that one. Some people in history deliberately and knowingly set themselves on a morally wrong path. Maggie knew exactly what she was doing with her policies and ultimately what that would lead to for the working classes. I will not be posting on here again, (don't all cheer at once), the sympathy for Maggie sickens me to the stomach. I will be glad when the funeral is over so we can get on with our lives and not be constantly reminded of her on a daily basis.
You should consider that people are entitled to express their opinions on here, even if you find them to be disagreeable. Also, to argue that Thatcher deliberately set out to destroy things is ridiculous. She had to face an electorate, for one thing.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

the sympathy for Maggie sickens me to the stomach
MT was awesome. One of the best PMs your nation has ever had and one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:36 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

You should consider that people are entitled to express their opinions on here, even if you find them to be disagreeable. Also, to argue that Thatcher deliberately set out to destroy things is ridiculous. She had to face an electorate, for one thing.
Not ridicuous, we all know she was out to get the unions and they are not made up of you nice middle class people now are they?
And as for opinions? Did you not criticise people for their grammar or was that someone else?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:37 am
Iwannagohome.

MT was awesome. One of the best PMs your nation has ever had and one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century
You Ozzie wind up merchant!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

You Ozzie wind up merchant!!!!
That's what I genuinely believe

She was a true patriot and saved your country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.