Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher is dead

Originally Posted by IvanM
I can tell you have no idea.

Why don't you answer me instead of misquoting me.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Zen10
For the sake of technical accuracy, I should point out that the current Conservative-led government is spending far more than New Labour ever did. The average New Labour spending per annum as a percentage of GDP was 39.8%, and the average Coalition spending per annum is 45.1%. So if Blair and Brown were crazy, Cameron and Osborne are even crazier.
For the sake of accuracy you don't compare an average over 10 years with a 2 year figure, especially when comparing economics and its various cycles..

So again for accuracy's sake, I will compare single years and point out it was 47.7% in 2009/2010 the final year of Brown's leadership.

Since then it has dropped every year (46.8%, 45.4%), this despite the Coalition having to accommodate Labour's resulting enormous debt and overblown public sector.

(Maybe the cuts should be deeper and then you wouldn't consider Osborne as crazy as Brown.)
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:42 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spilko
For the sake of accuracy you don't compare an average over 10 years with a 2 year figure, especially when comparing economics and its various cycles..

So again for accuracy's sake, I will compare single years and point out it was 47.7% in 2009/2010 the final year of Brown's leadership.

Since then it has dropped every year (46.8%, 45.4%), this despite the Coalition having to accommodate Labour's resulting enormous debt and overblown public sector.

(Maybe the cuts should be deeper and then you wouldn't consider Osborne as crazy as Brown.)
I take your point about the averages being derived from different-length time periods, but if we change the variables to keep you happy, and compare spending periods of the same length of time (pointless, but...) we get different figures.

We know from predicted figures (that are obviously going to optimistically low) the spending right up till 2017, so we have seven years of Coalition figures to go on. If we compare these seven years figures, to the last seven years of the New Labour government's spending, which is what you want to do, we see that New Labour's average spending per annum as % of GDP was 42.1% and the Coalition's average spending per annum as % of GDP is 43.7%.

So going by your own demand that identical time periods be compares, we see that the Coalition is still spending more than the New Labour Government, and I will remind you that this government is supposed to be a Conservative government based on cutting.

Cherry-picking singe years in order to make an argument work is absurd. I concede Brown spent a lot in 2009, but Thatcher spent more in 1982, and others have spent more than that as well. We must look at long-term averages. As for your claim that the Coalition is spending less every year, this too is wrong because they themselves are predicting that spending will actually rise across the next two years, not fall.

All of this in the service of technical accuracy.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

I take your point about the averages being derived from different-length time periods, but if we change the variables to keep you happy, and compare spending periods of the same length of time (pointless, but...) we get different figures.

We know from predicted figures (that are obviously going to optimistically low) the spending right up till 2017, so we have seven years of Coalition figures to go on. If we compare these seven years figures, to the last seven years of the New Labour government's spending, which is what you want to do, we see that New Labour's average spending per annum as % of GDP was 42.1% and the Coalition's average spending per annum as % of GDP is 43.7%.

So going by your own demand that identical time periods be compares, we see that the Coalition is still spending more than the New Labour Government, and I will remind you that this government is supposed to be a Conservative government based on cutting.

Cherry-picking singe years in order to make an argument work is absurd. I concede Brown spent a lot in 2009, but Thatcher spent more in 1982, and others have spent more than that as well. We must look at long-term averages. As for your claim that the Coalition is spending less every year, this too is wrong because they themselves are predicting that spending will actually rise across the next two years, not fall.

All of this in the service of technical accuracy.
Maybe you missed this part in what he was saying:

"this despite the Coalition having to accommodate Labour's resulting enormous debt and overblown public sector."

It is a lot easier to start low and build up huge debt, than cut spending while still supporting the enormous debt and overblown public sector.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:59 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IJ157
Maybe you missed this part in what he was saying:

"this despite the Coalition having to accommodate Labour's resulting enormous debt and overblown public sector."

It is a lot easier to start low and build up huge debt, than cut spending while still supporting the enormous debt and overblown public sector.
Or maybe I read it, and dismissed it as rubbish, having solidly demonstrated that any debt created by Labour is less than that currently being created by the Coalition?

Are you not reading these posts?

I'll add in edit that the spending of the New Labour government was less than the spending of the Major government by some way (as % of GDP). So who built up all this debt? Just the Labour Party? Was the debt run up by previous governments imaginary debt?

Last edited by Zen10; Apr 10th 2013 at 7:02 am.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:03 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not quote you.
Originally Posted by IJ157

Why don't you answer me instead of misquoting me.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:12 am
Banned

Some facts. UK Government spending as % of GDP, by Prime Minister, average across government.

Thatcher: 44.6%
Major: 41.7%
Blair: 38.4%
Brown: 44.4%
Cameron (including forecast spending): 43.7%

So you see that first, there is very little in it (apart from the very low spending under Blair, the bulk of New Labour), and second, the Tories often spend more during their terms in power. So, enough of the "insane, crazy Labour spending" argument. It's not true.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not quote you.
I think they mean here
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:22 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Well I expected you to turn up and as usual post absolutely nothing that contributes to the thread. Does your mum know you using her computer this time of night?
Ditto
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:30 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Some facts. UK Government spending as % of GDP, by Prime Minister, average across government.

Thatcher: 44.6%
Major: 41.7%
Blair: 38.4%
Brown: 44.4%
Cameron (including forecast spending): 43.7%

So you see that first, there is very little in it (apart from the very low spending under Blair, the bulk of New Labour), and second, the Tories often spend more during their terms in power. So, enough of the "insane, crazy Labour spending" argument. It's not true.
How about comparing debt versus deficit by prime minister? The 2.3 billion loan from the IMF that Callaghan's incompetent govt needed as a bailout had to be repaid by the successive Thatcher Govt just as the latest Tory Govt inherited the debt of Brown's failures.
Let us not forget that 2 days before he left office, Brown was effectively in caretaker mode, his Chancellor signed the U.K up to a £53 billion bailout fund for the rest of the E.U. £350 quid per U.K family as a departing gift to the incoming govt.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57
How about comparing debt versus deficit by prime minister? The 2.3 billion loan from the IMF that Callaghan's incompetent govt needed as a bailout had to be repaid by the successive Thatcher Govt just as the latest Tory Govt inherited the debt of Brown's failures.
Let us not forget that 2 days before he left office, Brown was effectively in caretaker mode, his Chancellor signed the U.K up to a £53 billion bailout fund for the rest of the E.U. £350 quid per U.K family as a departing gift to the incoming govt.
I'm no apologist for Labour, and I quite agree about their track record in the 1970s. I simply make the point that public spending of the two parties is broadly similar and the "crazy Labour spenders" argument is lazy and wrong, as I have shown. In this way, one can just as easily (and accurately) argue that Blair inherited a lot of debt from the Tories. The reason is that both parties subscribe to the same broken economic model.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I simply make the point that public spending of the two parties is broadly similar and the "crazy Labour spenders" argument is lazy and wrong, as I have shown.
Both parties spend and spend. The only difference is that Labour spend wastefully and often just create bureaucracies that do nothing. At least the Tories have some concept of fiscal sense. It's just the same with the shower we have here in Australia. Labor just waste money (I read the NBN was now projected to cost 94Billion) but I doubt that if Abbott get's in spending will drop, it will just be spent on different things.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:16 am

A reply.
Originally Posted by cresta57
I think they mean here
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:21 am

Too many Tories believe in reaganomics. That is tax cuts lead to economic growth greater than the value of the cuts. History has shown it leads to deficits as the economic growth was not there. A penchant for defence spending doesn't help.

I'm no apologist for Labour, and I quite agree about their track record in the 1970s. I simply make the point that public spending of the two parties is broadly similar and the "crazy Labour spenders" argument is lazy and wrong, as I have shown. In this way, one can just as easily (and accurately) argue that Blair inherited a lot of debt from the Tories. The reason is that both parties subscribe to the same broken economic model.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Too many Tories believe in reaganomics. That is tax cuts lead to economic growth greater than the value of the cuts. History has shown it leads to deficits as the economic growth was not there. A penchant for defence spending doesn't help.
Tax cuts lead to more tax being collected, not deficits. This is what happened with Reagan and Clinton. I refer to to the Lafer curve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.