Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are many Ozzies veggie?

Are many Ozzies veggie?

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:12 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are many Ozzies veggie?

Originally Posted by Clippies
Just found this chicken salt
same ingredients as my pot
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:19 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I have some chicken salt in my spice collection and it says on the ingredients that it has 'natural chicken extract' whatever that means.
Well I would interpret that to be actual chicken extract Guess different brands must have different ingredients
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:41 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
No meat mentioned in the ingredients.
It never is. Doesn't mean its not there, though. (Talking generally, have no idea about chicken salt )

Jane
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:41 am
Juicer Member

Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Clippies
Well I would interpret that to be actual chicken extract Guess different brands must have different ingredients
WOW! I didn't expect so many replies.

I do eat fish (whoever asked that) but I do not eat other animal by-products such as gelatine or lard, so I'll have to make sure I check all packaging. They change the ingredients in things in England too. I hadn't eaten Quavers for ages, literally years, then one day my husband read the ingredients and they were suitable for vegetarians, when I know they used to have animal rennet in them or something. Same with Starburst/Opal Fruits. You'd think they's label the food though
It might make the food company more sales - like the fact that not many people realise Pot Noodles are suitable for veggies - even the beef and chicken ones - I think they put soya in them. I'm sure they'd sell more if veggies knew this. Not that I eat them anyway...
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:42 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenat
WOW! I didn't expect so many replies.

I do eat fish (whoever asked that) but I do not eat other animal by-products such as gelatine or lard, so I'll have to make sure I check all packaging. They change the ingredients in things in England too. I hadn't eaten Quavers for ages, literally years, then one day my husband read the ingredients and they were suitable for vegetarians, when I know they used to have animal rennet in them or something. Same with Starburst/Opal Fruits. You'd think they's label the food though
It might make the food company more sales - like the fact that not many people realise Pot Noodles are suitable for veggies - even the beef and chicken ones - I think they put soya in them. I'm sure they'd sell more if veggies knew this. Not that I eat them anyway...
Ooh I didn't know quavers were veggie now, I hadn't had them for years either. BUT Chicken & Mushroom pot noodle is NOT veggie - the Beef one is, the Chicken one isn't. Not that I eat them either

Oh just wanted to add, the reason that some foods aren't labelled Veggie when in fact they are is because the manufacturer does not want to put meat eaters off the product.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That may have been local to where you were. All the chippies I've been to around here use canola oil.

I travelled around QLD NSW NT and SA, eat a lot of chips as in many towns they were the only hot vegetarian friendly snack going. Apart form the trendy areas of Sydney, such as Crunulla, Newtown, Bondi etc I found that the chip shops that fried in lard were 50/50 with the canola/cottonseed oil ones.

I know this as I always asked the owner/worker what they were fried in. A tedious task, but I refused to eat lardy chips.

As has been mentioned in opther posts animal by products are in almost anything in OZ and there is no 2suitable for vegetarians" prominent logo on foods, as is the case in the UK.

Australia is a very poor place to live if you are a vegetarian, not as bad as say France or Spain but a damn sight worse than in the UK. When it comes to eating, a vegetarian moving to OZ will struggle as much as a piss artist in Iran would when it come to drinking.

Last edited by eatstatic; Aug 23rd 2006 at 2:54 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 2:58 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

No meat mentioned in the ingredients.
It'll just be the lips and arseoles
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:11 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
you'd know all about such things...filthy woman
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:13 am
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
It never is. Doesn't mean its not there, though. (Talking generally, have no idea about chicken salt )

Jane
if there was any actual chicken i think it would be listed in the ingredients
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

also scrotums (or is that scrota?), eyelids+lashes, wrinkly elbow skin etc.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:24 am
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
hence the reason i cant eat sausages,or other such minced up "meats"
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:31 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

if there was any actual chicken i think it would be listed in the ingredients
Nope, it wouldn't unfortunately. It could just be listed as "flavour". "Enzymes" is listed as a common ingredient and could come from anywhere. Lipase, for example, is derived from goat kid epiglottis. No food manufacturer would list "goat kid" as an ingredient.

Jane
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
I dont know but I like the word scrota eww chicken eyelids and wrinkly elbow skin pmsl

all the above are ground down and powdered to make chicken salt ..no really it is
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:22 am

you'd know all about such things...filthy woman
Really I just don't know how you've got the cheek
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know but I like the word scrota eww chicken eyelids and wrinkly elbow skin pmsl

all the above are ground down and powdered to make chicken salt ..no really it is

That'll be why I like it then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.