Mandela RIP

Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mandela RIP

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
He didn't pay his debt to society - he made society. Without him there would have been a bloodbath.
400,000 people have been murdered in South Africa since Mandela was released. Good job there wasn't a bloodbath.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
400,000 people have been murdered in South Africa since Mandela was released. Good job there wasn't a bloodbath.
Yeah. Things were supposed to get better - or so the rest of the world told us
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Great is a word used far too often but Mandela was a truly great man and one of the greatest of the 20th century.

We can lean much from the way he preached forgiveness. How many here could forgive someone for locking them away for 27 years in a damp cell?

RIP Nelson, you will be greatly missed.

"We have triumphed in the effort to implant hope in the breasts of the millions of our people. We enter into a covenant that we shall build the society in which all South Africans, both black and white, will be able to walk tall, without any fear in their hearts, assured of their inalienable right to human dignity — a rainbow nation at peace with itself and the world."
A very sad day.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
RIP
I remember asking my dad who was he ? Rip Mandela and me ole dad xx as far as I am concerned he was practically a Scottish Mandela, some times I forget !

It's a personal thing!! I don't do my dad justice!

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 6th 2013 at 8:43 pm. Reason: Fix quote
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

And you hold him personally responsible? And not the apartheid government that set up a system that entrenched inequality, ignorance, deprivation and brutality on a massive scale for decades and decades before Mandela was released?

Perhaps, then, you would like to compare Mandela to Mugabe - just to help you understand the difference.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

He was the right man to breathe in reconcilliatory tones during the South African transition to full democracy, but he could have played a leading role for a bit longer than he did. He failed to speak out against Mugabe and sat quietly by while his successors went from bad to worse. But on balance I'd say he was a good, well-intentioned man. Hopefully he's left South Africa with a lasting legacy.

RIP Nelson
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
He failed to speak out against Mugabe and sat quietly by while his successors went from bad to worse.
From the BBC, a quote from Mandela.

"We watch with sadness the continuing tragedy in Darfur. Nearer to home we have seen the outbreak of violence against fellow Africans in our own country and the tragic failure of leadership in our neighbouring Zimbabwe."
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

From the BBC, a quote from Mandela.

"We watch with sadness the continuing tragedy in Darfur. Nearer to home we have seen the outbreak of violence against fellow Africans in our own country and the tragic failure of leadership in our neighbouring Zimbabwe."
Yes he spoke out once but said and did nothing more after that. But admittedly he was a very old man even then.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

And you hold him personally responsible? And not the apartheid government that set up a system that entrenched inequality, ignorance, deprivation and brutality on a massive scale for decades and decades before Mandela was released?

Perhaps, then, you would like to compare Mandela to Mugabe - just to help you understand the difference.
You said he had "prevented a bloodbath". I'm just pointing out that the "bloodbath" continues year after year in SA and that attacks on white's have reached the point, that SA made it onto the genocide watch list.

I'll let you apportion blame for that. You're pretty good at it.

Last edited by TheCreature; Dec 6th 2013 at 7:27 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 8:03 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

There were a number of posts that were becoming a little hostile, and whilst I don't personally like 'speaking' the way some of the discussion has gone, I accept that feelings run high and people have the right to express that. But the Barbie is not really the place for some of the language used or sentiments expressed so I've moved the more objectionable comments (trying to keep the gist of the conversation) to a new thread in TIO, where more colourful language is more acceptable. If your post is missing it is likely here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817107
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:05 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see how any of these 'missing' posts are hostile IMO. Are we not allowed to debate anymore?
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I can't see how any of these 'missing' posts are hostile IMO. Are we not allowed to debate anymore?
+1

BE is being over moderated yet again
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:16 pm

You said he had "prevented a bloodbath". I'm just pointing out that the "bloodbath" continues year after year in SA and that attacks on white's have reached the point, that SA made it onto the genocide watch list.

I'll let you apportion blame for that. You're pretty good at it.
Uh huh.

Well, let's see.

Those who hail him as an example of the best of humanity, a man with a goal of peace and reconciliation, a vast capacity for forgiveness, an example of courage, and express their respect for his life and sadness at his passing include The Dalai Lama, the Queen of England, Prince Charles, Nadine Gordimer, FW de Klerk, Archbishop Tutu, a host of world leaders, sportsmen, artists and masses of just ordinary people including white South Aricans, and a lot, lot more. And then there's you and a handful of other armchair critics on BE who are loud and brave from behind their keyboards.

Now, let me see which list I feel carries more weight.......
Old Dec 6th 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Well some of them were certainly rude and objectionable - but I agree, no need to make them go away. We aren't children.

Well most of us aren't anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.