Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Man from Snowy River

Wikiposts

The Man from Snowy River

Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Man from Snowy River

I wonder how many British expats in Oz have even heard of The Man from Snowy River.
Through the stringy barks and saplings, on the rough and broken ground,
Down the hillside at a racing pace he went;
And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound
At the bottom of that terrible descent.

I was brought up on that poem. My Dad, a sheep-farmer in Queensland, could recite it word for word - though he would never do so in public. His reticence was due partly to a fear of ridicule and partly to the emotion it generated in him. I have to say it generates the same emotion in me today, though that may just be old age.

I was reminiscing about my childhood in "the bush" just last month in a blog-post to which I gave the title of the poem. Any expat who wants to get a feel of life in the "old" bush should read the whole poem. Google "man from snowy river words" and you'll find them first up. It's Australia's cultural equivalent of "The Charge of the Light Brigade".
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:50 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Man from Snowy River

Great stuff but I'm more your Mulga Bill's Bicycle kind of a guy.
It cracks me up every time I read it.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:33 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I wonder how many British expats in Oz have even heard of The Man from Snowy River.
Through the stringy barks and saplings, on the rough and broken ground,
Down the hillside at a racing pace he went;
And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound
At the bottom of that terrible descent.

I was brought up on that poem. My Dad, a sheep-farmer in Queensland, could recite it word for word - though he would never do so in public. His reticence was due partly to a fear of ridicule and partly to the emotion it generated in him. I have to say it generates the same emotion in me today, though that may just be old age.

I was reminiscing about my childhood in "the bush" just last month in a blog-post to which I gave the title of the poem. Any expat who wants to get a feel of life in the "old" bush should read the whole poem. Google "man from snowy river words" and you'll find them first up. It's Australia's cultural equivalent of "The Charge of the Light Brigade".
An Aus lit thread!

For anyone who enjoys this kind of thing -

WHILE THE BILLY BOILS

Henry Lawson

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7144/7144-h/7144-h.htm
Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:33 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

The Man from Snowy River is a great poem... but along with the folklore aspect it also demonstrates a bush brutality which isn't so pretty.

For example, the line about making the chasing pony bleed from the use of spurs.

I grew up on the Silver Brumby books though. Loved them long before I knew anything about Australia.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, bush brutality is quite a bit different from town brutality: maybe even worse, sometimes. Here is how I introduced a post of mine called "Town & Country" in December 2011:
Sometimes daily newspapers have to cast a wide net for their news, don’t they? Last week England’s Daily Mail reported that two men in a lamb-castrating speed-contest in Wyoming had become physically ill from removing lambs’ testicles with their teeth. I may have been one of a rather small number of readers whose immediate reaction was, “Gosh, Dad used to do that all the time, and it never made him sick.”
I mean, why should it?
There has always been a huge cultural difference between the customs of towns and countrysides. What counts as good, practical sense in rural settings is often frowned upon in urban ones, and vice versa.

Then in the one on The Man from Snowy River a couple of weeks ago I described how my Dad used to kill a sheep every ten days to feed his family. Not a pleasant image to have in my mind all these years - but that's just the way things were. It's not always a bad thing for townsfolk to know what happens when they're not looking!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:38 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Zen - thanks for the Henry Lawson essays. I hadn't run across them before.

Uke - A favourite of mine is "Saltbush Bill's Second Fight", about a drover who tricks a landowner into letting him graze sheep for a week on his land. The last verse is a classic: talking about the air being thick with the curses of teamsters striving to get their waggons out of deep mud, and ending,
"The teamsters say, as they pause to rest and moisten each hairy throat,
They wish they could swear like Stingy Smith when he read that neighbour's note
."

They don't write them like that any more.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Zen - thanks for the Henry Lawson essays. I hadn't run across them before.

The last verse is a classic: talking about the air being thick with the curses of teamsters striving to get their waggons out of deep mud,

They don't write them like that any more.

back then road rage had a different meaning !
even the dogs had enough
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4918/wagonm.jpg

back then road rage had a different meaning !
even the dogs had enough
Wow...they had Instagram even then!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mulben. Thanks for posting the amazing painting - or is it a photo? Is it available online?

Maybe Banjo Paterson had it in front of him when he wrote that verse!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

mulben. Thanks for posting the amazing painting - or is it a photo? Is it available online?

Maybe Banjo Paterson had it in front of him when he wrote that verse!
Its a photo taken on the Mossgiel to Ivanhoe ( road ! ) , from (poor ) memory its by a well known 19th c. Australian photographer .
Original is in the NSW State Library , I have a copy on my wall .
Google images - " bogged wool wagon" - other resolutions available but I think the sepia one is the highest quality.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:52 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Last week England’s Daily Mail reported that two men in a lamb-castrating speed-contest in Wyoming had become physically ill from removing lambs’ testicles with their teeth. I may have been one of a rather small number of readers whose immediate reaction was, “Gosh, Dad used to do that all the time, and it never made him sick.”
Haha, my Dad used to do this also on their property in Gippsland - good times!!

But seriously, it was the quickest way to get the job done, so they just got on with it!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:58 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I much prefer Kevin bloody Wilson
Old Dec 12th 2012, 8:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I much prefer Kevin bloody Wilson
Doesn't he live next door to Alice ??
Old Dec 13th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mulben. Thanks for the direction to the links. Some great photos there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.