Wikiposts

Making friends..

Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:32 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Making friends..

Originally Posted by comingsoon
from friends we have out in oz i was under the impression ther was plenty of work,i can do stock taking or waiting on,our youngest is 13 in August so it seems he will then go to primary first in oz this will be a bit of a blow 2 him as he is in his 2nd year of high school here,but at least it sounds like it will be easier 4 me 2 make friends with all the activities going on in primary school.
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
In NSW year 7 is the first year of secondary school- is Perth different then????
School years seem to vary so much here.
Just looking at the first comment above; "13 in August going to primary" then thinking about my daughter, currently 14, she left primary 3 years ago, has just completed 3 years of middle school, and has now moved up to the senior school.
And she is in the middle of the age range for her year.

Old Jan 31st 2011, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Volunteer work...Badge's top tip:

It doesn't have to be drudgery - or even helpful. You know like Meals on Wheels...

Joining a mob like your local fire brigade is a nice little way of being seen to help the community when really it's all about you...and a nice little line in trucks an pumps an hoses an stuff like that. The partner might even like the uniform. Just make sure when asked you get the community line in first - even though it's bollocks in my opinion.

Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:08 am
Just Joined

comingsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Yes, the Wait Awhile state makes the kids start high school later. Last year kids started turning 13 from 1 July and they were still in primary. State high schools haven't yet told us when Year 7s will move over to high school. A lot of teachers are against it here, for some stupid reason. I thought that all private schools now take kids from Year 7 for high school, or a "transition" year, so if your children are in a Catholic primary school, there is no longer a Year 7.
So how is the work sitution then? That is where I think it will be easier to meet people and make friends.
Like i said earlier, friends of ours in Perth tell us there is lots of jobs - part-time and full time.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comingsoon
So how is the work sitution then? That is where I think it will be easier to meet people and make friends.
Like i said earlier, friends of ours in Perth tell us there is lots of jobs - part-time and full time.

There are lots of work opportunities in Perth - if you do a search on www.seek.com.au for part-time jobs in Perth, it shows 804 such jobs advertised in the last 30 days. You can then apply filters to narrow it down, as 804 includes everything from clean to truck driver to physiotherapist, to look for the more specific types of job or in different regions in Perth.

I find it hard to get a part-time job because I also study, so have lectures to work around, plus various appointments to get the kids to, and I have a younger child. There's also the hassle and cost of before-/after-school care and vacation care. I have also been a stay-at-home mum, so it can be hard breaking back into the workforce, especially now that I have been at uni and am now a "mature" graduate.

What sort of work did you do before you had your family? Do you want to do the same type of work, or do some training before or after you get here? If there's something you fancy trying but have not got around to, completely changing your life by migrating is a good opportunity to do something different in your work life too.

Don't rush into anything, as you will be busy enough finding somewhere to live, sorting out schools (plus uniforms and books) and setting up home. That can take a lot of time. Also, some things are just done differently here and it can take time to adjust. Just to give you an example, read about Alison's recent job experience http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=job. Not everyone is like that, so don't worry, but it's an example of how you can get caught out in a different place.