Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Major tax change claims for parents with school age Children 2008/2009.

Wikiposts

Major tax change claims for parents with school age Children 2008/2009.

Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Major tax change claims for parents with school age Children 2008/2009.

Just had our yearly consultation with our efficient and well versed tax accountant. Who informed us of new tax law changes for school aged kids. I've not heard one other person talk about this. It illustrates why its so very important in Australia to get your tax done by professionals.

Just want to see if anyone else here knows about it

Also interested to see if there are other tax claims that we get in Aus, that dont exist in the UK.

First to answer correctly gets some Karma
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Major tax change claims for parents with school age Children 2008/2009.

Are you talking about this?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549282

Do I win?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major tax change claims for parents with school age Children 2008/2009.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Do I win?
Yes thats it... well done, but we can claim a portion of the internet, buy new computers, phone lines, and absoultly everything that the kids use. So anything you buy in the name of kids education this year, is half price up to the tune of 750 bucks for primary school kids, and 1500 for secondary school kids.

We'll claim the whole lot.

That was quick Martin well done.

I've not heard one person at work talk about this, I doubt if most people know about it. So an extra 1000 bucks back next year
Ahhh I have to spread Karma around before giving it to you again... bloody hell lol !!!

Can people claim laundry for uniforms in the UK ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 16th 2008 at 12:11 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes thats it... well done, but we can claim a portion of the internet, buy new computers, phone lines, and absoultly everything that the kids use. So anything you buy in the name of kids education this year, is half price up to the tune of 750 bucks for primary school kids, and 1500 for secondary school kids.

We'll claim the whole lot.

That was quick Martin well done.

I've not heard one person at work talk about this, I doubt if most people know about it. So an extra 1000 bucks back next year
Ahhh I have to spread Karma around before giving it to you again... bloody hell lol !!!

Can people claim laundry for uniforms in the UK ?

I posted it last month but it didn't elicit much interest. I think people like to dwell on the things they can't have here (or more like the things they can't find) rather than the things they can. :cynical:

I don't think I can get it because I don't get FTB part fujiwhatsit but it's good news to those that can. Hopefully one day they'll make children completely tax deductable

You can't claim much at all in the UK and certainly not for the laundry of school uniforms.

Don't worry about the karma

Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 16th 2008 at 2:39 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I posted it last month but it didn't elicit much interest. I think people like to dwell on the things they can't have here (or more like the things they can't find) rather than the things they can. :cynical:

I don't think I can get it because I don't get FTB part fujiwhatsit but it's good news to those that can. Hopefully one day they'll make children completely tax deductable

You can't claim much at all in the UK and certainly not for the laundry of school uniforms.

Don't worry about the karma
We only get a small part of FTB A, It cuts out totally around 130,000 joint income for two kids, so If you have two kids and earn less than 130,000 dollars between you, you are entitled to this full rebate.

Have to earn 33 bucks pre tax minimum to get back the 20 bucks per week or thereabouts that this is worth.

Whoops I meant work uniforms, thats normally worth around 400 bucks per year.

Another thing you can't claim in the UK but you can here, are union fees... another 400 bucks between a couple usually.

Oh and of course, last years tax accountants fee.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We only get a small part of FTB A, It cuts out totally around 130,000 joint income for two kids, so If you have two kids and earn less than 130,000 dollars between you, you are entitled to this full rebate.

Have to earn 33 bucks pre tax minimum to get back the 20 bucks per week or thereabouts that this is worth.

Whoops I meant work uniforms, thats normally worth around 400 bucks per year.

Another thing you can't claim in the UK but you can here, are union fees... another 400 bucks between a couple usually.

Oh and of course, last years tax accountants fee.
Not connected to kids, but there's a thread here about a tax deduction that few Aussies know about, never mind Brits, so I thought I'd bring it up again.......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=7609

I got about $300 back on it this year
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Do I win?
It's really good to know that we can make a claim on all the stuff needed for school. So far i've not been able to open up that factsheet so i can't see all the details.

It looks like I will be keeping more receipts.
Thank you for this information. We've not been here that long and i didnt realise we could claim for the sch
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Katehn
It's really good to know that we can make a claim on all the stuff needed for school. So far i've not been able to open up that factsheet so i can't see all the details.

Thank you for this information. We've not been here that long and i didnt realise we could claim for the sch
My laptop keyboard has a mind of its own!!!!

Kate
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not connected to kids, but there's a thread here about a tax deduction that few Aussies know about, never mind Brits, so I thought I'd bring it up again.......

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=7609

I got about $300 back on it this year
Really good information thanks.

Makes me wonder, if there are things in the UK, that people could claim for but are unaware of.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Katehn

Not only the School, but you can claim for the Internet and possibly things like a study.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:38 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

You can claim fees back if your union is deemed a professional body ie Royal College of Nursing. I always used to.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:53 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Just had our yearly consultation with our efficient and well versed tax accountant. Who informed us of new tax law changes for school aged kids. I've not heard one other person talk about this. It illustrates why its so very important in Australia to get your tax done by professionals.

Just want to see if anyone else here knows about it

Also interested to see if there are other tax claims that we get in Aus, that dont exist in the UK.

First to answer correctly gets some Karma
Think its limited to $7500 per year.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Not only the School, but you can claim for the Internet and possibly things like a study.
Thank you Ozzieeagle and MartinLuther
I've just managed to open this file !!
This is going to make a good saving for us as we have two children in Primary and another one starting next year. We pay a high cost for internet connection as OH wanted it for his WOW addiction!!!
I see that software for education purposes is also deductable which is good.

Kate

I
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Alright!. Thanks for that. I've got three primary school aged kids. I'll make sure I max out on the rebate next year!

wow, you can carry the expenses over several years - far out!

Last edited by renth; Aug 17th 2008 at 12:36 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:47 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We cannot get either FTB A or FTB B as we both work (maybe income is a factor in that too) so could not claim that one.

We can, however, claim something like 40% of childcare costs for pre/after school care and vacation care. I think that rises to 50% this year. One hassle is you cannot claim it until the end of the year.

It is also something you have to claim from Centrelink not as part of your tax return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.