Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Mad, Stupid or Brave!?

Mad, Stupid or Brave!?

Old May 24th 2007, 10:02 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of
Default Mad, Stupid or Brave!?

I am having one of those OMFG!! moments

I have mulling over when to hand my notice in at work as we will hopefully be going to Aus in Sept/Oct. I have been working for the same company now for 27 years! I had a weeks grace after leaving school & joined the railway at the tender age of 16. Now I am jacking that all in to 'chance it' in Australia - hence my the thread title: Mad, Stupid or Brave!? Some of my work colleagues say I'm brave, but when I tell them we haven't any jobs lined up & we're just going to 'wing it' when we get there - they then change their minds & say I'm MAD! (haven't had any stupids yet )

The last job interview I had was 27 years ago, when all you had to do was answer YES to a lot of questions & know the difference between 1 foot & 1 yard! Now there are CV's Psychometric/aptitude testing, medicals, Psychological reports & character assessments I am dreading my first interview - I think I will just throw up over the interviewer <blurrrghhh>

Anyone else feel like this?

So whadda ya reckon: Mad, Stupid or Brave!?

Chris

Old May 24th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mad, Stupid or Brave!?

Originally Posted by The_Effys

I have mulling over when to hand my notice in at work as we will hopefully be going to Aus in Sept/Oct. I have been working for the same company now for 27 years! I had a weeks grace after leaving school & joined the railway at the tender age of 16. Now I am jacking that all in to 'chance it' in Australia - hence my the thread title: Mad, Stupid or Brave!? Some of my work colleagues say I'm brave, but when I tell them we haven't any jobs lined up & we're just going to 'wing it' when we get there - they then change their minds & say I'm MAD! (haven't had any stupids yet )

The last job interview I had was 27 years ago, when all you had to do was answer YES to a lot of questions & know the difference between 1 foot & 1 yard! Now there are CV's Psychometric/aptitude testing, medicals, Psychological reports & character assessments I am dreading my first interview - I think I will just throw up over the interviewer <blurrrghhh>

Chris http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/scared-yikes1.gif

I wouldn't say any of those but can't think right now what word to describe it. In similar position to yourself in that I've just handed in my notice too after almost 20yrs with same company. All quite scarey really as both OH and myself have no jobs to go to either once we get there. Haven't had a proper interview in all that time so quite unprepared as to what lies ahead. Yeh, some peeps at work look at you as tho' they're thinking - what the hell you doing going out there with no job and jacking it all in here?

All the best for your move.

Ann
Old May 24th 2007, 10:30 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BertieB
I wouldn't say any of those but can't think right now what word to describe it. In similar position to yourself in that I've just handed in my notice too after almost 20yrs with same company. All quite scarey really as both OH and myself have no jobs to go to either once we get there. Haven't had a proper interview in all that time so quite unprepared as to what lies ahead. Yeh, some peeps at work look at you as tho' they're thinking - what the hell you doing going out there with no job and jacking it all in here?

All the best for your move.

Ann
Yes, that's it! that look they give you - that 'Jeez, are you bloody mad?!' look

Glad it's not just me then, pheeew! Thing is, I read so many times on here that people have secured jobs before they go that it's starting to worry me! I know that in my profession it is very rare to secure a job until you are there. Every Aus job vacancy I have looked at states "must be Australian resident to apply"

Well, at least I'm not the only one then

Chris

Old May 24th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Chris. Go with the attitude that they can't take you outside and shoot you and you'll be fine.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:26 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

I think...BRAVE!
If you're really worried,why not dip your toes in while still in the UK,apply for a few things just to get some interview experience?
Old May 24th 2007, 11:59 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Bit of both, we did the same 4 years ago when we moved here. Jobless, homeless, GBP10,000 to our name to start our new life with 2 kids.

If you don't try you'll never know and better to have tried than think what if?

I worked for the council and they said they would take me back if I ever went back to the UK. After 27 years of working for an employer I'm sure they would do the same for you if things didn't work out here. Just think of it as an adventure!

Good luck you mad, stupid brave person

LJJ
Old May 25th 2007, 7:13 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Go for it! Did the same almost four years ago, so been there, done that, got the teashirt. Jumped the NHS ship with 24 years of service in hand with husband 27 years as a brickie, three girls and no jobs ect haven't had time to think about it really. No problems getting jobs here in Sydney, interviews are something that needs to be done but not too scarey as now you have the maturity to carry it through

Good luck you very brave person
Old May 25th 2007, 9:22 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Hey, thanks you lot for all your encouragement Has made me feel miles better & to know that it isn't just me is giving me a confidence boost

Now I just need to lose 10 stone in the next 3 months!

Chris

Old May 25th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it!

We came to a foreign country, on short notice. A place we had never been and had no knowlege of the language!!

Worked out great, and now got visa granted to go to Aus.

I was worried, but its amazing how quick you can adapt. Still think Czech language is a bloody nightmare. But its been a real experience, and made us more confident about living abroad.

At least Oz you can speak the same language and so you will get on OK.

If its what you want, it could be the start of a whole new wonderful life!

GEMS
Old May 25th 2007, 9:35 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's it! that look they give you - that 'Jeez, are you bloody mad?!' look

Glad it's not just me then, pheeew! Thing is, I read so many times on here that people have secured jobs before they go that it's starting to worry me! I know that in my profession it is very rare to secure a job until you are there. Every Aus job vacancy I have looked at states "must be Australian resident to apply"

Well, at least I'm not the only one then

Chris

welcome to the siht scared club..

mate ,i cant help with the interview,ive never had one,but your not on your own ..ive been laying bricks for a twenty stretch but i am still frightened of pastures new..

mate when you get there ,ill have been there for a bit,you can come up to my local and we will both get pssied before your interview,then you'll walk it mate..
Old May 25th 2007, 9:51 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Better to have lived and regret than never lived.

I reckon that moto works well.

Be Brave and go for it, life is short and you only have one shot, do you best and enjoy it !!!!

Normally you find the thought of it is worse than the doing it...

Good luck to you and may lady luck be smiling on you !
Old May 25th 2007, 9:55 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

At your age - all 3.

Ay your age AND heading for Perth - get yourself a straitjacket.

Same goes for me too, but at my age I'll take a padded cell as well. I've heard there's some going cheap in Armadale.

Karl
Old May 25th 2007, 10:04 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Originally Posted by Gems
I say go for it!

We came to a foreign country, on short notice. A place we had never been and had no knowlege of the language!!

Worked out great, and now got visa granted to go to Aus.

I was worried, but its amazing how quick you can adapt. Still think Czech language is a bloody nightmare. But its been a real experience, and made us more confident about living abroad.

At least Oz you can speak the same language and so you will get on OK.

If its what you want, it could be the start of a whole new wonderful life!

GEMS
Wow! How did you end up in Prague before seeing it? Jobs?

When you looking to be in Australia? I think you've probably done the harder of the 2 options first, Australia sounds like the easy bit! As you say, at least they speak english in Aus

Cheers, Chris

Old May 25th 2007, 10:07 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Originally Posted by aston man
welcome to the siht scared club..

mate ,i cant help with the interview,ive never had one,but your not on your own ..ive been laying bricks for a twenty stretch but i am still frightened of pastures new..

mate when you get there ,ill have been there for a bit,you can come up to my local and we will both get pssied before your interview,then you'll walk it mate..
I'll hold you to that but after getting pissed - I dont think I'll be walking anywhere!

Old May 25th 2007, 10:16 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
At your age - all 3.

Ay your age AND heading for Perth - get yourself a straitjacket.

Same goes for me too, but at my age I'll take a padded cell as well. I've heard there's some going cheap in Armadale.

Karl
How's it going Karl? I shouldn't think it will be too long now till you get your Visa? When do you hope to be out there by? We're hoping Sept/Oct but this depends on house sale... should be exchanging today hopefully Then it's all systems go

We will be the oldest mad swingers in town! Well.. you, me & Ast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.