Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

M&S Delivery - Quarantine Inspection Fee!

M&S Delivery - Quarantine Inspection Fee!

Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default M&S Delivery - Quarantine Inspection Fee!

So almost a month after taking delivery of an M&S package I receive a bill from DHL for $47.30 for a Customs Inspection. Not happy
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: M&S Delivery - Quarantine Inspection Fee!

What was in the package? I would happily pay the quarantine fee for some pork pies.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BenandPam
What was in the package? I would happily pay the quarantine fee for some pork pies.
A coat for my OH. On a coat hanger plastered with M&S logos all over it. Apparently clothing is a "high risk" item!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Did it have a pork pie in the pocket?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search, you'll find other people mentioning this $47.30 charge from DHL over the years (thinkgeek customers seem to have been hit quite a few times). It seems they don't inform the recipient before or at delivery about this charge.

However in the terms & conditions on the Marks & Spencer website, for international deliveries it does say:
Marks & Spencer products are sold on a delivery duty unpaid basis. The recipient may have to pay import duty or a formal customs entry fee prior to or on delivery. Additional taxes, fees or levies may apply according to local legislation and customers are required to check these details before placing an order for international delivery.
As you were not required to pay this charge prior to or on delivery, I would refer DHL to Marks & Spencer - your contract is with M&S not DHL, and DHL's contract is with M&S. You have agreed to pay charges prior to or on delivery, but you haven't agreed to pay after the fact.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
If you do a search, you'll find other people mentioning this $47.30 charge from DHL over the years (thinkgeek customers seem to have been hit quite a few times). It seems they don't inform the recipient before or at delivery about this charge.

However in the terms & conditions on the Marks & Spencer website, for international deliveries it does say:As you were not required to pay this charge prior to or on delivery, I would refer DHL to Marks & Spencer - your contract is with M&S not DHL, and DHL's contract is with M&S. You have agreed to pay charges prior to or on delivery, but you haven't agreed to pay after the fact.
DHL leaves a brochure in the resealed package telling you there may be a charge. Do you know anyone who has refused to pay DHL and received subsequent deliveries OK?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
DHL leaves a brochure in the resealed package telling you there may be a charge. Do you know anyone who has refused to pay DHL and received subsequent deliveries OK?
Not trying to be nasty but I think the moral of this story is......don't use DHL. Take your business to someone who either doesn't use DHL or can mail it. Better yet, get it sent to a UK address, unpacked and then repacked and sent to you as a gift.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roaringmouse

However in the terms & conditions on the Marks & Spencer website, for international deliveries it does say:As you were not required to pay this charge prior to or on delivery, I would refer DHL to Marks & Spencer - your contract is with M&S not DHL, and DHL's contract is with M&S. You have agreed to pay charges prior to or on delivery, but you haven't agreed to pay after the fact.
Yes thank you. After doing a bit of research seems it is quite a common complaint of DHL.

I received four packages from M&S over the course of about a week and I do remember this one having stickers over it saying that it had been subject to an inspection. I was not overly surprised as it has happened once or twice before (non M&S purchases). There was certainly nothing in the package to notify me that I would be required to pay a fee at a later date.

A letter will be going to DHL tomorrow arguing my case for not paying including not having been advised of the charge prior to delivery, requesting proof they have paid the money across to the relevant govt agency (as advised on other sites) et al.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
DHL leaves a brochure in the resealed package telling you there may be a charge.
That is not the same as requiring payment prior to or on delivery, as in the terms & conditions agreed to upon purchase from M&S.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:15 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Yes thank you. After doing a bit of research seems it is quite a common complaint of DHL.

I received four packages from M&S over the course of about a week and I do remember this one having stickers over it saying that it had been subject to an inspection. I was not overly surprised as it has happened once or twice before (non M&S purchases). There was certainly nothing in the package to notify me that I would be required to pay a fee at a later date.

A letter will be going to DHL tomorrow arguing my case for not paying including not having been advised of the charge prior to delivery, requesting proof they have paid the money across to the relevant govt agency (as advised on other sites) et al.

My GF had this problem with DHL for a pair of brand new wellington boots she ordered from the UK.

DHL were unable to provide an invoice for the service provided on behalf of quarantine, and Quarantine were unable to provide and reference of DHL having paid them.

She politely told them to get f**ked and refused to pay them. nothing more was heard.

Apparently DHL have some quarantine officials attend their premises to perform random inspections on packages. This costs DHL money, but is actually cheaper than them carting packages to Quarantine. DHL try it on with customers in an attempt to recoup what it costs them.

Remember that you:

1. Have no contract with DHL - you have not engaged their services and had no control over the choice of carrier

2. They will not be able to provide an invoice relating to services rendered by Quarantine.

In these circumstances the common general knowledge is to wave DHL the finger.

S
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Not trying to be nasty but I think the moral of this story is......don't use DHL. Take your business to someone who either doesn't use DHL or can mail it. Better yet, get it sent to a UK address, unpacked and then repacked and sent to you as a gift.
The parcel came from France
Not all of us rate M&S

Ask DHL how long the inspection took.....

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/g...port-clearance

Last edited by lesleys; Apr 18th 2013 at 10:55 am. Reason: Added link
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I've had loads of M&S packages - Never been charged. Is this something new?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I received one of these yesterday...had no idea why so I called DHL.

Apparently M&S did not put a sufficient description on the parcel (something like C&I dry cargo)...so quarantine opened it.

Lady at DHL was lovely- told me to get in touch with M&S and sort out their export documentation and said she would waive the charge.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I've had loads of M&S packages - Never been charged. Is this something new?
I have had loads of parcels from M&S too, but only this last week were they delivered by DHL. Will have to wait and see if I get a bill, some good advice above on how to deal with it if I do.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:25 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a big order with M&S just now, I always order my stuff from them, so far we have never had a problem.

Hope it continues this way.