Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

Old May 3rd 2012, 12:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

I have just become living proof of this article citing how ketosis (burning ketones not Glucose, do keep up ) can register on a breathalyser:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/u...-breathalyzer/

I blew 0.023 g/dL despite having nothing to drink last night (I know, I'll make up for it).

As the legal limit here in Queensland is 0.05 g/dL then all is well and good but if the limit was lower then off to the blood test I would go pleading innocence.

And if we all used one of those new zero-tolerance lock device things for cars then where would the low-carbers be ... immobile?!
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

Blowing off ketones is not a good thing.... Sending yourself purposefully into ketosis can't be right mate.... Sorry... But low carb diets and long term outcomes is still an unknown...
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've done low carb diets twice over the years. It works really well but I felt terrible both times, really rough. I agree, it's can't be good for you.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Blowing off ketones is not a good thing.... Sending yourself purposefully into ketosis can't be right mate.... Sorry... But low carb diets and long term outcomes is still an unknown...
Well, my reason for posting was to make people who are eating this way aware of this.

It wasn't my intention of turning this into yet another tedious dietary debate but one last time, backed up by science (unlike most convential dietary advice) ...

It's our natural state, every organ bar none prefers them.

What glucose the brain needs we can synthesise.

All I know is that I feel fantastic and full of energy since switching.

You go your way, I'll go mine.
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Well, my reason for posting was to make people who are eating this way aware of this.

It wasn't my intention of turning this into yet another tedious dietary debate but one last time, backed up by science (unlike most convential dietary advice) ...

It's our natural state, every organ bar none prefers them.

What glucose the brain needs we can synthesise.

All I know is that I feel fantastic and full of energy since switching.

You go your way, I'll go mine.
We'll compare notes Again in 30 years eh? That should be long enough between debates to generate a little more enthusiasm....
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:31 am
Mostly Harmless

We'll compare notes Again in 30 years eh? That should be long enough between debates to generate a little more enthusiasm....
You're on, if you last another 30
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't my intention of turning this into yet another tedious dietary debate.
Dude, you should know that by now posting anything here can turn into a tedious debate.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
Dude, you should know that by now posting anything here can turn into a tedious debate.
I thought the whole point of the barbie was tedious debate

Well thats what we've come to expect......

Tedious debate, aus vs the uk rows and accusations of stalking and trolling..... I think thats coved most threads.....
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:42 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

There's nothing wrong with 'blowing off ketones'. Many people including health professionals, (who studied nutrition for about ten minutes in their entire training and who should know better) confuse ketosis with a condition called ketoacidosis, which is a dangerous state diabetics can enter where ketone bodies AND blood sugar is high in the blood, this can lead to coma and death.

Ketosis is NOT dangerous and is in fact a healthy state for the body to be in. 95% of the body prefers to burn ketones for energy as opposed to glucose. (bar red blood cells and certain parts of the brain - which the body can provide for quite easily WITHOUT an intake of CHO)

Then there's Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA): Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a state of absolute or relative insulin deficiency aggravated by ensuing hyperglycemia, dehydration, and acidosis-producing derangements in intermediary metabolism. The most common causes are underlying infection, disruption of insulin treatment, and new onset of diabetes. DKA typically is characterized by hyperglycemia over 300 mg/dL, low bicarbonate (<15 mEq/L), and acidosis (pH <7.30) with ketonemia and ketonuria.

And to top that off, there's also Alcoholic Ketoacidosis (AKA): Alcoholic ketoacidosis (AKA) is an uncommon and frequently missed condition. Many of the signs and symptoms of AKA are present with other conditions associated with alcohol abuse. AKA often is overlooked as the cause of the patient's presenting complaints. AKA most commonly occurs when an alcoholic has been on a binge and abruptly ceases drinking.

Handy link for educationamul purposes:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...toacidosis.htm

Anyone coming up trumps on a Breathalyzer will be cleared in a blood test quite easily. : )
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:25 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

I have just become living proof of this article citing how ketosis (burning ketones not Glucose, do keep up ) can register on a breathalyser:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/u...-breathalyzer/

I blew 0.023 g/dL despite having nothing to drink last night (I know, I'll make up for it).

As the legal limit here in Queensland is 0.05 g/dL then all is well and good but if the limit was lower then off to the blood test I would go pleading innocence.

And if we all used one of those new zero-tolerance lock device things for cars then where would the low-carbers be ... immobile?!
Thanks for the warning!

I have been primal/carb free just since Monday and although I had a thundering headache and felt pretty lousy yesterday, I feel much better today. In fact I feel full of energy. I have lost 3kg so far, although I know most of that will be water which was bound up with the glycogen.

So far, so good.
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:44 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
There's nothing wrong with 'blowing off ketones'. Many people including health professionals, (who studied nutrition for about ten minutes in their entire training and who should know better) confuse ketosis with a condition called ketoacidosis, which is a dangerous state diabetics can enter where ketone bodies AND blood sugar is high in the blood, this can lead to coma and death.

Ketosis is NOT dangerous and is in fact a healthy state for the body to be in. 95% of the body prefers to burn ketones for energy as opposed to glucose. (bar red blood cells and certain parts of the brain - which the body can provide for quite easily WITHOUT an intake of CHO)

Then there's Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA): Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a state of absolute or relative insulin deficiency aggravated by ensuing hyperglycemia, dehydration, and acidosis-producing derangements in intermediary metabolism. The most common causes are underlying infection, disruption of insulin treatment, and new onset of diabetes. DKA typically is characterized by hyperglycemia over 300 mg/dL, low bicarbonate (<15 mEq/L), and acidosis (pH <7.30) with ketonemia and ketonuria.

And to top that off, there's also Alcoholic Ketoacidosis (AKA): Alcoholic ketoacidosis (AKA) is an uncommon and frequently missed condition. Many of the signs and symptoms of AKA are present with other conditions associated with alcohol abuse. AKA often is overlooked as the cause of the patient's presenting complaints. AKA most commonly occurs when an alcoholic has been on a binge and abruptly ceases drinking.

Handy link for educationamul purposes:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...toacidosis.htm

Anyone coming up trumps on a Breathalyzer will be cleared in a blood test quite easily. : )
Cool, thanks for the explanation

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Thanks for the warning!

I have been primal/carb free just since Monday and although I had a thundering headache and felt pretty lousy yesterday, I feel much better today. In fact I feel full of energy. I have lost 3kg so far, although I know most of that will be water which was bound up with the glycogen.

So far, so good.
Sometimes these things are caused by a lack of salt, or more precisely, the loss of sodium from the body due to the dietary change.

The recommendation is to add some in the form of bullion. Not much

Also bear in mind that it can take people up to 3 weeks to adjust to running off their fat stores and not, primarily, carbohydrate.

Which is what we have evolved to do but have been side-tracked.

Also, also, don't rely on the scales too much, I've been up and down but my muscle/fat ratio is better and if my belt needs another notch adjustment then that's all the proof I need
Old May 3rd 2012, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool, thanks for the explanation

Sometimes these things are caused by a lack of salt, or more precisely, the loss of sodium from the body due to the dietary change.

The recommendation is to add some in the form of bullion. Not much

Also bear in mind that it can take people up to 3 weeks to adjust to running off their fat stores and not, primarily, carbohydrate.

Which is what we have evolved to do but have been side-tracked.

Also, also, don't rely on the scales too much, I've been up and down but my muscle/fat ratio is better and if my belt needs another notch adjustment then that's all the proof I need

Pah! So its ok to get into tedious so long as it agrees with your point of view

Seriously would like to still be around in thirty years to find out where the jury is on this kind of diet....

Has anyone mentioned the food industry conspiracy theories yet? palm oil and the like???????

Where is current thinking on that right now?
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:44 am
Mostly Harmless

Pah! So its ok to get into tedious so long as it agrees with your point of view

Seriously would like to still be around in thirty years to find out where the jury is on this kind of diet....

Has anyone mentioned the food industry conspiracy theories yet? palm oil and the like???????

Where is current thinking on that right now?
I thought more of offering a headache/nausea solution than a tango down Tedium Terrace.

No idea about palm oil, I do know coconut oil is the business both internally and externally (on dry skin, nothing kinky).

Almost 100% saturated fat, lovely. Nigh on impossible to convert to bodily fat so the metabolism just burns it off

Ask yer average doctor about it and they trot out the 'ooooh, high in fat, be careful'. Idiots. Yeh, just get me some of those drugs to treat my 'progressive' disease and I'll be out of here. Hope I only lose a foot before I stagger to the end of my life.

Diabetes should be renamed 'Carbohydrate Intolerance' and treated accordingly (i.e. not with a recommended 300g of the stuff a day).

You don't need 30 years, just look at the time we happily existed before agriculture and it's 'revolution'. I don't even mean going the full caveman.

Did we count calories? Nope.

Were we fitter? Yup.

Heart disease much? Nope.

Diabetic? Nope.

Did we have 'low fat' this and 'diet' that and 'cholesterol free' and 'gluten free' this that and the other? Nope.

Oooops, I've parked in Tedium Terrace with me hazard lights on.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:51 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

The irony is Vim, is that if you explain you've increased your veg, have cut out processed foods and things you might be allergic to, are sticking to lower GI fruit and are eating good fats, everyone would go 'YAY, well done'...
But tell them you're eating primal low carb and they all jump on the bandwagon.

This is generally why I don't tell people how I eat.

You don't need 30 years to know that this is healthy.
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aha

Anyone want to add activity levels into this stew?

The amount of real physical activity in peoples lives has dramatically decreased... Even things as simple as brushing carpets.... Doing the washing by hand... Activities that were physically labour intensive... Churning butter... Kneeding bread..... Combined with the increase in processed foods.... Surely this has to be the real killer?

Life for ordinary people used to be physically tough... Now its more mentally challenging... Increased stress doesnt help with diet and health either....

There are lots of very basic changes people can make to entire lifestyle that will benefit their long term health....

The problems arise when people do one thing in isolation thinking its a magic bullet for their health issues...

I'm of the camp that ANYTHING people do to improve their lifestyle in general is better than nothing... Even getting up to change the channel rather than reaching for the remote... Which is why no ine can find the moteys in our house... I keep switching the damned thing off and hiding them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.