Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

Old May 28th 2012, 9:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low Carb Diets and Breathalyzers Don't Mix

I got a sausage maker from aldi and you get get real pork casinging from the butcher.

Originally Posted by lesleys
What sort of sausages? I thought most contained rice flour here. Then there's the salt, sulphur dioxide and plastic casings. I don't care what sort of diet you're on but I wouldn't have thought you'd want to consume some of these things.
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/ph/documents/ehu/19399.pdf
Old May 28th 2012, 9:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I got a sausage maker from aldi and you get get real pork casinging from the butcher.
Sausage making ... why the hell didn't I think of that?!

Off to google some equipment ...
Old May 28th 2012, 9:51 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Another downside, I'm freezing !

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Ah, the downsides of eating right

I have some old t-shirts from music festivals in the 90s tucked away in the archives, I might see if I can get into those, that would be a laugh as I've got a bit more muscle these days

I've cooked up some sausages for lunchtime at the cricket tomorrow, looking forward to an afternoon session of meaty burps. Take that Special K ...
Old May 28th 2012, 9:53 am

Harris scarfe have 50% a mincer at the moment.

Hint: sausages with good quality meat are crap, you need to get the ratio of meat to "other parts" correct.

Sausage making ... why the hell didn't I think of that?!

Off to google some equipment ...
Old May 28th 2012, 10:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Harris scarfe have 50% a mincer at the moment.

Hint: sausages with good quality meat are crap, you need to get the ratio of meat to "other parts" correct.
Ta, sounds like a fun bit of experimentation on the way ...
Old May 28th 2012, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ta, sounds like a fun bit of experimentation on the way ...
There's a great sausage recipe in the Recipe thread. Don't know if I've updated the list since it was posted, I'll go look.
Old May 28th 2012, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There's a great sausage recipe in the Recipe thread. Don't know if I've updated the list since it was posted, I'll go look.
Edit: It's very simple but very nice. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...postcount=4536
Old May 28th 2012, 1:07 pm
Mostly Harmless

Edit: It's very simple but very nice. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...postcount=4536
Ta, we have reached a domestic agreement ... I can get a sausage mincer if the OH gets a decent veggie patch, something I have half-heartedly tried to start ... Looks like some imminent digging is in order ...
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:45 am
Mostly Harmless

The kids are ****ed ...

Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

They will if they think 'healthful' is a word. My kids would pick chocolate, brocolli and steak. I'm assuming that's a steak anyway.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:44 am
Mostly Harmless

They will if they think 'healthful' is a word. My kids would pick chocolate, brocolli and steak. I'm assuming that's a steak anyway.
Make it high cocoa chocolate (in moderation, naturally) and I'm with you

Yes, healthful does seem to be an American word popular in nutrition circles ...
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Well, either this thread or the "sugar is evil" one. Updates anyone? Think of it as practice before writing yourself up on MDA's success stories page.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

You don't need 30 years, just look at the time we happily existed before agriculture and it's 'revolution'. I don't even mean going the full caveman.

Did we count calories? Nope.

Were we fitter? Yup.

Heart disease much? Nope.

Diabetic? Nope.

Did we have 'low fat' this and 'diet' that and 'cholesterol free' and 'gluten free' this that and the other? Nope.
Did we spend all day on the move? Yup.
Did we sit watching a TV with our dinners on our laps? Nope.
Did we eat the large quantity of food we do now? Nope.
Did we die at 40? Yup.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:03 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Did we die at 40? Yup.
Invoking the 'They all died young' argument is very weak if you consider the wider perspective ... Modern medicine is very good at dealing with such things as infections, results of accidents and infant mortality rates which skew the picture.

There is evidence to suggest that we have actually grown shorter and weaker since the advent of agriculture. Certainly more disease-prone.

Yeh, we can feed more people but what kind of life are those people having? Tending to be fatter, cancer-prone and diabetic. Hoop-de-do.

I sometimes think the whole Paleo thing is done a disservice by the whole 'caveman' image precisely because of these kinds of knee-jerk responses.

The essence of it is to avoid processed food, sugar and potential toxins and anti-nutrients (grains, legumes and dairy) while focussing on nutrient-dense food.

Can't really argue with that in my book.

6 months on and I still say, ^&*# the food pyramid, eat fat, question everything and bugger what the cholesterol numbers say.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:07 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Japonica
Well, either this thread or the "sugar is evil" one. Updates anyone? Think of it as practice before writing yourself up on MDA's success stories page.
My update is that I feel great, still eating a lot of fat, still dropping fat.

Apparently I am still alive and thriving despite consuming my last slice of bread sometime in March and keeping the carbs mostly below 50g a day for 6 months.

Hold on, apparently I must be harming my kidneys, or liver, or heart, or something

&*(^ it, I feel good.

Last edited by DeadVim; Oct 22nd 2012 at 6:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.