Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You know how once you notice something it just drives you mad for ever? Well, its happened to me with the word "look". The Aussies just love it. I hear it everywhere, on radio interviews, on the TV and when I am talking to people.

Its when somebody is asked a question and they feel the need to start their reply with "Look.........."

Its just so bloody rude and my hackles go up straight away. Its like they are instantly putting me in my place, or demanding some sort of immediate attention. Can't really explain why my reaction to it is so severe but now I have noticed it its REALLY annoying me. I feel like replying with "No, YOU LOOK, I only asked you a polite question, if you can't reply in a polite way then ***k off!"

There, feel better for getting that one off my chest
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:57 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Originally Posted by RenShen
You know how once you notice something it just drives you mad for ever? Well, its happened to me with the word "look". The Aussies just love it. I hear it everywhere, on radio interviews, on the TV and when I am talking to people.

Its when somebody is asked a question and they feel the need to start their reply with "Look.........."

Its just so bloody rude and my hackles go up straight away. Its like they are instantly putting me in my place, or demanding some sort of immediate attention. Can't really explain why my reaction to it is so severe but now I have noticed it its REALLY annoying me. I feel like replying with "No, YOU LOOK, I only asked you a polite question, if you can't reply in a polite way then ***k off!"

Look, yeah, no I hate it when that happens.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've shortened in it. The full version is 'Awwwww, look.....'.

It's funny if you watch an interview and see if they do it on EVERY single answer!

Not sure about it being impolite or rude though, it often isn't used as a challenge as in 'Now, look here....<rant>' it's just meaningless content added to the start of the sentence.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Look, yeah, no I hate it when that happens.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think you've shortened in it. The full version is 'Awwwww, look.....'.

It's funny if you watch an interview and see if they do it on EVERY single answer!

Not sure about it being impolite or rude though, it often isn't used as a challenge as in 'Now, look here....<rant>' it's just meaningless content added to the start of the sentence.
Just seems so rude to me but I know what you mean, its like a speech tick. Where I came from in the UK people often added "youknowworramean" or "like" to the end of every sentence. That annoyed me a bit too.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Just seems so rude to me but I know what you mean, its like a speech tick. Where I came from in the UK people often added "youknowworramean" or "like" to the end of every sentence. That annoyed me a bit too.
Don't forget 'innit' innit!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:07 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Don't forget 'innit' innit!
Sick blud.

Braaaaap.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Its sad really, its just such a lazy way of speaking. Poor thick people.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Look, there's no need to bite our heads off!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Look, there's no need to bite our heads off!
?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:57 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

It used to bother me because I thought it was rude, but after a while I realised that its just their dialect and is used in a totally different context to the way we used it in the UK.. just something else for us to adjust to and to accept
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:00 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same with people who start off with 'basically, right'
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Now look, I picked up on this when I first arrived but it became obvious to me, fairly quickly, that it's merely a colloquialism and has no bearing whatsoever on the British use of the phrase.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Now look, I picked up on this when I first arrived but it became obvious to me, fairly quickly, that it's merely a colloquialism and has no bearing whatsoever on the British use of the phrase.
I wonder if any aussies get into fights inadvertently by using it in the UK?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 6:03 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

It really is just a way of speaking, nothing rude about it. Just chalk it up to part of being in a new country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.