British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/look-grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-664254/)

RenShen Apr 16th 2010 2:56 am

LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You know how once you notice something it just drives you mad for ever? Well, its happened to me with the word "look". The Aussies just love it. I hear it everywhere, on radio interviews, on the TV and when I am talking to people.

Its when somebody is asked a question and they feel the need to start their reply with "Look.........."

Its just so bloody rude and my hackles go up straight away. Its like they are instantly putting me in my place, or demanding some sort of immediate attention. Can't really explain why my reaction to it is so severe but now I have noticed it its REALLY annoying me. I feel like replying with "No, YOU LOOK, I only asked you a polite question, if you can't reply in a polite way then ***k off!"

There, feel better for getting that one off my chest :)

Lord_Farquar Apr 16th 2010 2:57 am

Re: LOOK!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Originally Posted by RenShen (Post 8500111)
You know how once you notice something it just drives you mad for ever? Well, its happened to me with the word "look". The Aussies just love it. I hear it everywhere, on radio interviews, on the TV and when I am talking to people.

Its when somebody is asked a question and they feel the need to start their reply with "Look.........."

Its just so bloody rude and my hackles go up straight away. Its like they are instantly putting me in my place, or demanding some sort of immediate attention. Can't really explain why my reaction to it is so severe but now I have noticed it its REALLY annoying me. I feel like replying with "No, YOU LOOK, I only asked you a polite question, if you can't reply in a polite way then ***k off!"

Look, yeah, no I hate it when that happens.

bcworld Apr 16th 2010 3:00 am

I think you've shortened in it. The full version is 'Awwwww, look.....'.

It's funny if you watch an interview and see if they do it on EVERY single answer! :D

Not sure about it being impolite or rude though, it often isn't used as a challenge as in 'Now, look here....<rant>' it's just meaningless content added to the start of the sentence.

RenShen Apr 16th 2010 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar (Post 8500114)
Look, yeah, no I hate it when that happens.

:sneaky:

RenShen Apr 16th 2010 3:03 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8500117)
I think you've shortened in it. The full version is 'Awwwww, look.....'.

It's funny if you watch an interview and see if they do it on EVERY single answer! :D

Not sure about it being impolite or rude though, it often isn't used as a challenge as in 'Now, look here....<rant>' it's just meaningless content added to the start of the sentence.

Just seems so rude to me but I know what you mean, its like a speech tick. Where I came from in the UK people often added "youknowworramean" or "like" to the end of every sentence. That annoyed me a bit too. :frown:

bcworld Apr 16th 2010 3:06 am

Originally Posted by RenShen (Post 8500122)
Just seems so rude to me but I know what you mean, its like a speech tick. Where I came from in the UK people often added "youknowworramean" or "like" to the end of every sentence. That annoyed me a bit too. :frown:

Don't forget 'innit' innit!

Lord_Farquar Apr 16th 2010 3:07 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8500125)
Don't forget 'innit' innit!

Sick blud.

Braaaaap.

RenShen Apr 16th 2010 3:09 am

Its sad really, its just such a lazy way of speaking. Poor thick people.

Vash the Stampede Apr 16th 2010 3:18 am

Look, there's no need to bite our heads off! :ohmy: :blink: :huh:

Lord_Farquar Apr 16th 2010 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8500145)
Look, there's no need to bite our heads off! :ohmy: :blink: :huh:

?

Mrs Jackaroo Apr 16th 2010 3:57 am

It used to bother me because I thought it was rude, but after a while I realised that its just their dialect and is used in a totally different context to the way we used it in the UK.. just something else for us to adjust to and to accept :)

scottishcelts Apr 16th 2010 4:00 am

I'm the same with people who start off with 'basically, right' :frown::eek:

DunRoaminTheUK Apr 16th 2010 4:05 am

Now look, I picked up on this when I first arrived but it became obvious to me, fairly quickly, that it's merely a colloquialism and has no bearing whatsoever on the British use of the phrase.

AlliF Apr 16th 2010 4:34 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 8500194)
Now look, I picked up on this when I first arrived but it became obvious to me, fairly quickly, that it's merely a colloquialism and has no bearing whatsoever on the British use of the phrase.

I wonder if any aussies get into fights inadvertently by using it in the UK?
:rofl:

Peepster Apr 16th 2010 6:03 am

It really is just a way of speaking, nothing rude about it. Just chalk it up to part of being in a new country.