Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The London 2012 Olympic Thread

The London 2012 Olympic Thread

Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The London 2012 Olympic Thread

Originally Posted by earlybird
Posted this in the 'Whinging' thread to but liked it enough to share here too.

Attachment 108025

Fair to say a decent day for the Brits yesterday ... Long Jump and 10,000m gold? Wow ...
Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:06 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday was an amazing day for British athletics.

I was at a party last night and we all watched Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford. The atmosphere was electric and the party certainly went with a bang afterwards
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It is so cool watching the Beach Volleyball in Horseguards Parade and seeing the sun shining. Got to be one of the best BV venues ever.
It is truly a fab venue and I just love the way the space has been utilised giving the volleyball such a fab background. I just wish I could be there today to feel the atmosphere at the marathon.We have been watching it this evening and are astounded at the huge crowds who have turned out to cheer on those runners.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

What is amazing that GB won 19 Gold medals in 2008 and came 3rd in the table. I can't see where another 5 Golds will come from to better that, especially with the kilo and IP gone from the programme. I hope Trott can take out the omnium, but that'll take some doing after yesterday's efforts.

Hope I'm wrong!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

I have been very disappointed with the aussie media especially radio, all I heard last week was how "we" missed out on gold. Not great we won silver.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Russia is suffering the same fate. So many Silver medals!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
I have been very disappointed with the aussie media especially radio, all I heard last week was how "we" missed out on gold. Not great we won silver.
I think it's understandable in a way. For the past few olympics they've known they were top of the heap with the USA in the pool especially and it must hurt to suddenly find out they're no longer there and just don't have the youngsters with the power and skills to follow them. They've got a massive amount of work to do to get up there again, especially with China blowing everyone out of the water.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's understandable in a way. For the past few olympics they've known they were top of the heap with the USA in the pool especially and it must hurt to suddenly find out they're no longer there and just don't have the youngsters with the power and skills to follow them. They've got a massive amount of work to do to get up there again, especially with China blowing everyone out of the water.
The front page of the Age on Saturday (I looked down in the servo) introduced a philosophy that it's harder to win silver losing as a potential Gold medalist, than to get Bronze (relief to be on the blocks).

Most of the silver medalists really expected to win Gold. They were that close.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Who's watching the 100m!

Looking forward to it.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:05 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Who's watching the 100m!

Looking forward to it.
6:45am on an icy cold morning?

I'll catch the replay thanks, should be good though
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense. Just watching the sailing and talk about devastation that the Brits got Silver and not Gold! And that was a British commentator so it's not an Aus phenomenom! Watching another one with Ben Ainslie. I have no fricking idea what they're talking about but they're getting very excited
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Wow what a day for British Olympic sport, incredible from start to finish, 6 gold medals in 1 day. For me Mo Farah was the pick of the bunch, gutsy gutsy run. I have had a lovely holiday so far but today I feel very very happy to be in the UK whilst the games are on.
For me the best performance of the games so far has come from the Women's Team Pursuit. Not because they won gold, but because everytime they took to the track in qualy and the final, they set a new WR. On the limited rest they get between rides, that really is so far beyond comprehension I can't even well, comprehend it

Of course I could be a tad biased toward cycling
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Makes sense. Just watching the sailing and talk about devastation that the Brits got Silver and not Gold! And that was a British commentator so it's not an Aus phenomenom! Watching another one with Ben Ainslie. I have no fricking idea what they're talking about but they're getting very excited
BTW - I'm finding that the coverage is getting better...not just Australia blah blah. I thought Macquire was personable in the Marathon, and impressed that Ch8 got in the ex sprinters.

Really impressed by M Johnson (US) - a very articulate man indeed.

DV - I fancy watching the 100m live....you know the 'build-up' and post -race stuff...I'll set the alarm!
Originally Posted by Tr1boy
For me the best performance of the games so far has come from the Women's Team Pursuit. Not because they won gold, but because everytime they took to the track in qualy and the final, they set a new WR. On the limited rest they get between rides, that really is so far beyond comprehension I can't even well, comprehend it

Of course I could be a tad biased toward cycling

I've started to get into it - my brother is keen and so is the Missus.
Never used to like -sit-down sports apart from rowing.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wohoo, another gold for GB in the sailing. Well done Ben Ainslie. I didn't have a clue what was going on, even with the 'drunken monkey on an Etch-a-Sketch' animations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.