Living in Broken Britain

Wikiposts

Living in Broken Britain

Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Broken Britain

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
To quote Twain: "Why the **** do I have to change trains at Albury in the middle of the ****ing night?".
Everywhere I've been there is a bar claiming that Twain drank there!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
Everywhere I've been there is a bar claiming that Twain drank there!
Okay. What he actually said was: "Now comes a singular thing, the oddest thing, the strangest thing, the unaccountable marvel that Australia can show, namely the break of gauge at Albury. Think of the paralysis of intellect that gave that idea birth."

I still reckon he thought my version before he had time to write things down calmly.

See what happens when you put the English in charge of the railways in one state and Irish in charge in another state.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
So was Hitler

Thatcher was the thin end of this particular wedge
What a ridiculous comparison.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Britain broken? Nah! A country is never broken if it has some of the most resilient, innovative, inventive, industrious, committed, intelligent, realistic and self aware people on the planet, which the UK has in spades.

To misquote Twain?, The reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated.

It is having it rough in some respects just now but compared to what it has endured before it is a Mozzie bite.
Agree that they will sort themselves out but they are in for a lot more pain and I don't think they've seen the worst of it yet.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree that they will sort themselves out but they are in for a lot more pain and I don't think they've seen the worst of it yet.
Fair comment. It will come out in the wash though
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

What a ridiculous comparison.
Maybe... but Thatcherite policies did more long term damage to my home city than the Luftwaffe ever managed.

It's not an argument I can be bothered getting into though. I've noticed several times on this board that the people who were adults at the time Thatcher was in power have a VERY different view to the generations that followed.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Britain broken? Nah! A country is never broken if it has some of the most resilient, innovative, inventive, industrious, committed, intelligent, realistic and self aware people on the planet, which the UK has in spades.

To misquote Twain?, The reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated.
Can people remember this thread and the pro-Australian contributors when people next say that Uk posts are always negative and full of negative people...
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Can people remember this thread and the pro-Australian contributors when people next say that Uk posts are always negative and full of negative people...
Sure, I am very happy here but will always put down crap about the country that has done so much for the world we live in today.
Britain is in a tough place but so are lots of countries, The idea that Britain is "broke" is laughable.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I am very happy here but will always put down crap about the country that has done so much for the world we live in today.
Britain is in a tough place but so are lots of countries, The idea that Britain is "broke" is laughable.
I have to take seriously the people that say it's tough in some circles. But agree that Britain can't truly be broke - at least not on paper and outside macro-economic principles.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have to take seriously the people that say it's tough in some circles. But agree that Britain can't truly be broke - at least not on paper and outside macro-economic principles.
Damaged for sure. It's been there, done that.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Maybe... but Thatcherite policies did more long term damage to my home city than the Luftwaffe ever managed.

It's not an argument I can be bothered getting into though. I've noticed several times on this board that the people who were adults at the time Thatcher was in power have a VERY different view to the generations that followed.
Fair enough but it was still a ridiculous comparison.
UK was in a mess in 1979 and they elected a leader who sorted the mess out - not all pretty I will admit.
UK is in a mess in 2010 and they will probably elect a leader who will try to sort it out - whether he can or not is yet to be seen.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Fair enough but it was still a ridiculous comparison.
UK was in a mess in 1979 and they elected a leader who sorted the mess out - not all pretty I will admit.
UK is in a mess in 2010 and they will probably elect a leader who will try to sort it out - whether he can or not is yet to be seen.
I am no Thatcherite but she had focus and will. Can't see anybody else with that just now.
Difficult times need a different leader. Remember Churchill. Outside of the circumstances, just how good a PM would he have been? H efought the fires that needed fighting at the time though.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:08 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
I like the Times, always have and think this is a pretty damning article about the peoples perceptions of Britain today.

I'd post this in the MBTUK thread but expect it would stir up too many people, but its pretty grim reading and I tend to agree with a fair amount of it.

'Nearly three fifths of voters say that they hardly recognise the country they are living in, while 42 per cent say they would emigrate if they could'

I wonder if DIMIA read that before recent changes

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7020009.ece
Two interesting articles from that well-known lefty rag - The Economist

It has become fashionable to say that British society is in a mess and getting worse. It isn’t.

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=15452811

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=15452867

Last edited by elfman; Feb 9th 2010 at 12:22 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
I like the Times, always have and think this is a pretty damning article about the peoples perceptions of Britain today.

I'd post this in the MBTUK thread but expect it would stir up too many people, but its pretty grim reading and I tend to agree with a fair amount of it.

'Nearly three fifths of voters say that they hardly recognise the country they are living in, while 42 per cent say they would emigrate if they could'

I wonder if DIMIA read that before recent changes

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7020009.ece
Similar stats have been presented as fact for ages, as can recall more than twenty years back that being the case.
Think certain folk may say they want to emigrate when the question is raised but few do anything about it.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Similar stats have been presented as fact for ages, as can recall more than twenty years back that being the case.
Think certain folk may say they want to emigrate when the question is raised but few do anything about it.
And I bet there are people in EVERY country that echo these sentiments. Grass is greener syndrome can't soley be a Brit phenomenom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.