The Lions

Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lions

Originally Posted by chris955
Unfortunately the Aussie media has a well deserved reputation as worse losers than they are winners.
I don't care about the reputation afforded to them as long as Expats are no worse in actually dealing with the same loss or wins.

And if those expats can't see any good in anything the media write in some quarters

For example, an expat who takes a crack at the tabloid media say, why are they aligning themselves with tabloid media in the first place - and is a poor winner is no better.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 7th 2013 at 6:51 am.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:52 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Horwill was very magnanious in defeat. I'm not surprised really as, apart from Gregan, Australia have always had good captains

Even the Aussie commentators, who are usually the most biased in world rugby, acknowledged the superiority of The Lions

The Bokke will be along soon to rub it in
agree with all of that. Gregan was a terrible captain, highly overrated player and terrible actor in those Lions ads!

Also, I have always really enjoyed watching the Wallabies lose simply because the way their commentators are (as you said it, the most biased in the world)
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
agree with all of that. Gregan was a terrible captain, highly overrated player and terrible actor in those Lions ads!

Also, I have always really enjoyed watching the Wallabies lose simply because the way their commentators are (as you said it, the most biased in the world)
yet as Zulu and I said - they were quite good this time!
This is what I mean; noone plays the ball in front of them. It's always tabloid grudges...!
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
yet as Zulu and I said - they were quite good this time!
This is what I mean; noone plays the ball in front of them. It's always tabloid grudges...!
...this time, however it is a different bunch than previous International Rugby games. This is the first time in a very long time that it wasn't Ch7 broadcasting it on free-to-air. That mob are a disgrace and I hope they never get the rights to broadcast rugby again. In particular, their coverage of the 2003 WC when England won was a disgrace.

It also doesn't help when the leader of your country sets this type fo example
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...522475543.html
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right, so many people want to see Australia lose because of their overbearing attitude. Some of the commentary especially at major sporting events is absolutely cringeworthy.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:40 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Exactly right, so many people want to see Australia lose because of their overbearing attitude. Some of the commentary especially at major sporting events is absolutely cringeworthy.
can you move away from me please?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Why, did you fart?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen nothing but praise for the Lions in the media here.

Obviously the focus is largely on the Australian team (seeing as we are in Australia and all), but the Lions have been universally accepted as being the better team, I haven't read any excuses or sour grapes about the ref or anything and the fans have been generally heralded as magnificent.

There's probably some shit in the tabloids but those are best avoided for obvious reasons.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed Saturday so much. On my way to the ground a number of Aussies stopped to talk to me and asked me where I was from and so on, they all wanted to give friendly advice on how to get to the ground and where to go from a drink. Didn't have the heart to tell them that I had been to ANZ Stadium so many times and already knew the info, I was happy to let thme feel that they were being friendly and helpful, which they were. Wearing my Lions top seemed to impress the Aussie ladies I noticed, a great day for getting chatted up! One asked if she could hear my accent and another women wanted to know if I was Irish

I was in one of the few mainly Aussie supporter areas and the banter was always good natured. Many clapped the Lions when they ran away with it in the second half. Certainly didn't see any bother.

Other than a rubbish article in the Herald the other day about expats supporting the Lions I don't think the press / comentary has been too bad. When I have a test match on the TV I always have radio 5 live on the computer and the game on the TV with the sound turned down. That way you get British commentators, I did that for the 1st and 2nd tests.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 1:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Slightly OT - but on the subject of dodgy commentary bias:

I watched last nights tennis. To start off with I had the laptop I had the laptop in bed watching the BBC (thanks to "hola unblock") - with insightful but slightly one-eyed commentary from Boris Becker and Tim Henman. I was enjoying the game tremendously and particularly Becker's relatively neutral observations about the game. (Tim Henman and Andrew Castle were - as you might expect a little less neutral - but still saying plenty of positive things about Djokovic and critical points about Murray).

Unfortunately at about 4-2 in the second set my BBC feed dried up. It starting buffering a lot and timing out.. It became unwatchable - so I dragged my tired self out of bed and went looking for the TV. I flicked on channel 10 and was instantly faced by the offensive barrage of advertising (as expected) - but also with commentary from Woodbridge and Newcomb.

Woodbridge seemed to focus his comments on the tennis and seemed reasonable enough - but Newcomb took every opportunity possible to talk up Djokovic and criticise Murray. Despite the scoreline not backing him up he spend the best part of more than an hour telling viewers that clearly Murray had gone off the boil and was about to lose it all.

The commentary made the game very unpleasant to watch. It didnt match up to what I was seeing! I stopped short of flicking on BBC Radio5 for commentary and seeing if it'd sync with the TV - but only just!

Anyone know if there's a reliable way to watch the ashes cricket without moronic australian commentary? (Although to be honest aussie cricket commentators havent been that bad in the past - and its more the endless stream of Bunnings and KFC adverts with the occasional cricket delivery inbetween that cause the viewing experience to be so grating)
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Anyone know if there's a reliable way to watch the ashes cricket without moronic australian commentary? (Although to be honest aussie cricket commentators havent been that bad in the past - and its more the endless stream of Bunnings and KFC adverts with the occasional cricket delivery inbetween that cause the viewing experience to be so grating)
I wonder if it's possible to use the Nine HD coverage, but the sound from BBC Radio Five Live? You would still have the dumb ad breaks, but the sound would continue + Aggers commentary would probably be the best. Would there be too much of a time offset between the two streams?
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

...this time, however it is a different bunch than previous International Rugby games. This is the first time in a very long time that it wasn't Ch7 broadcasting it on free-to-air. That mob are a disgrace and I hope they never get the rights to broadcast rugby again. In particular, their coverage of the 2003 WC when England won was a disgrace.

It also doesn't help when the leader of your country sets this type fo example
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...522475543.html
I can see that Channel 7/Channel 10 was the difference here. 2003 is a long time back in my opinion. My watchword is concentrate on the game, the sport and the players and not the media or indeed not get involved in mud slinging apart from decent banter.

At last some decent contributions, not just silly accusations:

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I've seen nothing but praise for the Lions in the media here.

Obviously the focus is largely on the Australian team (seeing as we are in Australia and all), but the Lions have been universally accepted as being the better team, I haven't read any excuses or sour grapes about the ref or anything and the fans have been generally heralded as magnificent.

There's probably some shit in the tabloids but those are best avoided for obvious reasons.
+1

Originally Posted by Jon77
I was in one of the few mainly Aussie supporter areas and the banter was always good natured. Many clapped the Lions when they ran away with it in the second half. Certainly didn't see any bother.

Other than a rubbish article in the Herald the other day about expats supporting the Lions I don't think the press / comentary has been too bad. When I have a test match on the TV I always have radio 5 live on the computer and the game on the TV with the sound turned down. That way you get British commentators, I did that for the 1st and 2nd tests.
+1

Originally Posted by GarryP
I wonder if it's possible to use the Nine HD coverage, but the sound from BBC Radio Five Live? You would still have the dumb ad breaks, but the sound would continue + Aggers commentary would probably be the best. Would there be too much of a time offset between the two streams?
When I was living in Central Europe and saw the First Test in 2001 we did exactly that - a Sky? broadcast + R5. Easier when the feeds were all but guaranteed.

I watched last nights tennis. To start off with I had the laptop I had the laptop in bed watching the BBC (thanks to "hola unblock") - with insightful but slightly one-eyed commentary from Boris Becker and Tim Henman. I was enjoying the game tremendously and particularly Becker's relatively neutral observations about the game. (Tim Henman and Andrew Castle were - as you might expect a little less neutral - but still saying plenty of positive things about Djokovic and critical points about Murray).

Unfortunately at about 4-2 in the second set my BBC feed dried up. It starting buffering a lot and timing out.. It became unwatchable - so I dragged my tired self out of bed and went looking for the TV. I flicked on channel 10 and was instantly faced by the offensive barrage of advertising (as expected) - but also with commentary from Woodbridge and Newcomb.

Woodbridge seemed to focus his comments on the tennis and seemed reasonable enough - but Newcomb took every opportunity possible to talk up Djokovic and criticise Murray. Despite the scoreline not backing him up he spend the best part of more than an hour telling viewers that clearly Murray had gone off the boil and was about to lose it all.

The commentary made the game very unpleasant to watch. It didnt match up to what I was seeing! I stopped short of flicking on BBC Radio5 for commentary and seeing if it'd sync with the TV - but only just!

Good comments. I blame a tabloid broadcaster. Without hearing the commentaries it's hard to know myself. I grant that much of the media in Australia is tabloid, and it's annoying when only a tabloid station is broadcasting.

Well it's their loss, they should be concentrating on their sport and criticising the media, making sure they target the right part of the media, rather than ruining the sport for themselves. Comments like yours are precisely why nothing ever improves.

I say it again, people consuming tabloid media and tarring the entire media with the same brush and holding grudges and singularly allowng that to be their only contribution to argument, and to the outcome of sport, spoil it for others in discussion.

It's not just sport, there are people with silly grudges who seem to let these effect their lives in Australia where all they have to do is be more selective in their consumption - of just about anything!

You have to remember that UK sports broadcasters also get caned in the Home nations for things they say on mass-market broadcasts, by people who really know their sport. There is a particular English pair who regularly get it in the neck.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I can see that Channel 7/Channel 10 was the difference here. 2003 is a long time back in my opinion. My watchword is concentrate on the game, the sport and the players and not the media or indeed not get involved in mud slinging apart from decent banter.

At last some decent contributions, not just silly accusations:

+1

+1

When I was living in Central Europe and saw the First Test in 2001 we did exactly that - a Sky? broadcast + R5. Easier when the feeds were all but guaranteed.

Good comments. I blame a tabloid broadcaster. Without hearing the commentaries it's hard to know myself. I grant that much of the media in Australia is tabloid, and it's annoying when only a tabloid station is broadcasting.

Well it's their loss, they should be concentrating on their sport and criticising the media, making sure they target the right part of the media, rather than ruining the sport for themselves. Comments like yours are precisely why nothing ever improves.

I say it again, people consuming tabloid media and tarring the entire media with the same brush and holding grudges and singularly allowng that to be their only contribution to argument, and to the outcome of sport, spoil it for others in discussion.

It's not just sport, there are people with silly grudges who seem to let these effect their lives in Australia where all they have to do is be more selective in their consumption - of just about anything!

You have to remember that UK sports broadcasters also get caned in the Home nations for things they say on mass-market broadcasts, by people who really know their sport. There is a particular English pair who regularly get it in the neck.
Yes, but Badge, you cannot separate the media from the sport WHEN the commentators are all ex-players of that sport and regarded as legends of their sport in that particular country. Tim Horan for example, has become much better and less biased since his move to Foxsports, but while at 7 he was awful, as well as Dan Crowley. Both of those players are ex-Wallabies and held in very high regard by Wallaby fans and players and were just a front for Ch7's jingoistic "TodayTonight" style bullsh!t.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly get yourslef a good geo-unblocker, we pay a very small amount in monthly subs and the live streaming isn't too bad, sometimes is slow but is watchable. The tennis last night was perfect on the BBC site, not one drop out or spinny thing. I used to use Hola but stopped when it lost BBC iplayer, I assume that is back now?

For the ashes I will be watching fox sports as they sync in with sky sports commentary anyway so you get to hear what the UK hears. Failing that there is always Test Match Special on the BBC 5 live which is EXCELLENT and often better than watching it on TV! Espeacially when Blowers gets going.

Watching the ashes on channel 9 would deffinately be a last resort desperation job!!
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, but Badge, you cannot separate the media from the sport WHEN the commentators are all ex-players of that sport and regarded as legends of their sport in that particular country. Tim Horan for example, has become much better and less biased since his move to Foxsports, but while at 7 he was awful, as well as Dan Crowley. Both of those players are ex-Wallabies and held in very high regard by Wallaby fans and players and were just a front for Ch7's jingoistic "TodayTonight" style bullsh!t.
Undoubtedly! - I don't like the tabloid mainstream media but at least I try to stay above it and don't use it as a weapon to sully one and all (other formats, writers, or other members of the public). I don't remember Tim Horan at 7 (get it!) but I have a terrible memory....I thought that Wallaby forward who commentated for the World Cup was dire...to be frank, I don't really listen to the commentary - I just watch the game. There is always some bias with ex international players as pundits - the old players like Guscott occasionally get pinged for bias.

I know it's hard, but I get annoyed with alll the **wits who just can't stop whinging - and constantly can't see anything good with their life, or a life, as it was in Australia (or the UK) when they are part of the problem -and indeed perpetuate the misery! This is not just sport - it follows in all aspects of their lives.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 8th 2013 at 11:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.