Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This is a lighthearted one! Promise!

Wikiposts

This is a lighthearted one! Promise!

Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:40 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is a lighthearted one! Promise!

Originally Posted by Wendy
It was Index that went bust. I know Argos is still going because my Aunt works there and I only spoke to her the other week.
I find it hard to believe Argos will be going bust. The one near my daughters is always full of people, and the wait for goods is so big that they have waiting room chairs installed lol
I went to collect a table top fan i ordered online during the summer (yes, it does get hot there) The queues were long. This wasnt a one off either. This shop is in a retail park we use regularly. Apart from the supermarket, i'd say Argos was the most visited store!

Last edited by Fleaflyfloflum; Jan 29th 2009 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Woolies in Australia is a far better shopping experience than Woolies in the UK, now at any rate
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I think Woolies in Australia is a far better shopping experience than Woolies in the UK, now at any rate
Only just though.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:18 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I really miss the Walkabout pub in Newquay and the Australia shop in Covent Garden - apart from that, it was all a crock of shit wasn't it?
I get it...
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Because the Godzone light infantry are duty bound to defend Australia against even the slightest criticism.
light infantry against the Doomzone marines.

Would make a good movie!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:46 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Only just though.
If you two ever stop arguing I'm surrendering my BE account....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I am not sure you can be believed.
Some one on here called meg asked me for info. I posted something that could have been of interest to that lady albeit a bit negative (australia day fights). To ensure a balance at the same time I posted an even bigger negative about the UK (teenager dies of yet another stabbing in uk).
You closed the thread I believe because you didn't like it, not because you could not see the point of the thread.
As you well know, if you have an issue with something a Moderator has done you take it up, in private with that Mod or with Admin. I will happily tell you why I closed it but not on public forum.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:53 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
What's your most missed shop(s) in the UK?!

For example, in my opinion, Chemist Warehouse is inferior to Boots, and the Tatts outlets are nothing compared to WH Smith.
Just read the whole thread and wanted to say I'm back in the UK at the moment after 4 years in Godzone and it's a fact that the shops here in the UK and the entire act of being a consumer is far better here. There is just no comparison and I just can't understand how any ex UK person can defend any aspect of shopping in Australia. They must have either very short memeories or very anti UK or too pro Aus to really have a valid opinion. (in my opinion!)

Also please dont shut this thread down just because it;s getting a bit heated!! It's the heat that makes it worth reading!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:54 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by arkon
Just read the whole thread and wanted to say I'm back in the UK at the moment after 4 years in Godzone and it's a fact that the shops here in the UK and the entire act of being a consumer is far better here. There is just no comparison and I just can't understand how any ex UK person can defend any aspect of shopping in Australia. They must have either very short memeories or very anti UK or too pro Aus to really have a valid opinion. (in my opinion!)

Also please dont shut this thread down just because it;s getting a bit heated!! It's the heat that makes it worth reading!
Are you back for good then?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Heated will be fine - abusive and out of control will result in its closure.....!
I get to the UK in 10 days time, and I can't wait for the shopping experience
Glad you decided to go for your visit Arkon, its good for the soul
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be rediculous man... how can the UK compare with the best of Oz shopping.. Payless, Go-Lo, Best and Less, and of course the more upmarket stores of Kmart and Target !
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:17 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Don't be rediculous man... how can the UK compare with the best of Oz shopping.. Payless, Go-Lo, Best and Less, and of course the more upmarket stores of Kmart and Target !
How dare you!

'Target' is the zirconia jewel in Australia's plastic shopping crown....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL @ this thread. Nation of shop-keepers? Nah, we've moved on love, the British are a nation of shoppers now. M&S, Waitrose and John Lewis, Sainsburys, Next and Top Shop, Argos, John Menzies and the Pound Shop and, lest we forget, let us genuflect at the altar of Tescos. Too funny.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I find it hard to believe Argos will be going bust. The one near my daughters is always full of people, and the wait for goods is so big that they have waiting room chairs installed lol
I went to collect a table top fan i ordered online during the summer (yes, it does get hot there) The queues were long. This wasnt a one off either. This shop is in a retail park we use regularly. Apart from the supermarket, i'd say Argos was the most visited store!

I doubt it will either.

But it's not about saying which is better. Just most us realise that we don't live in the UK so what shops they have there is totally irrelevant to us. We live in Australia....so we shop here.

I don't like Next, M&S or Tescos. I did however like Morissons and Dorothy Perkins but they don't have them in Australia so I've moved on
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On ya.

To be honest, in my opinion, it's less a case of defence and more a case of don't really care - to be frank, or Chris, Dave etc. Remember that alot of the people that like living in Australia would agree that the shops are better in the UK - in some shape or form and even a pro-Australian opinion is OK if they are happily settled...they still have rights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.