Let's Talk Cricket

Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:19 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Let's Talk Cricket

Originally Posted by Ellesse
Let's have a look at dad's army though, seriously. Do you think that Langer deserves his spot? Maybe he should of retired after his head knock, Hayden is still a class player but his class is now becoming further and further apart. Martyn, well......... McGrath will not be touring to defend the Ashes in England and wales and warne will probably retire after the World cup next year.

On the plus side for Australia is Clark, actually both Clark and Clarke.

Australia will miss Warne and McGrath badly though, they will be much more beatable without them.

Roll on the dead rubber Boxing day.
You assume there will be no-one to take the place of these boys. I believe that is a very dangerous assumption.

BTW, good bowlers are important, but it's good batters who make the runs. Take away Warnie and McGrath, and we'd still be clocking 'em up.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:26 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's Talk Cricket

[QUOTE=Ellesse]as Tennis...........Hewitt.....Convict......Henman... ...Unlucky...Again.

Careful Hewitt is a born and bred south Australian, there were no convicts in south Australia. it was settled by free settlers ................... mm
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:41 am
Banned

Ellesse will become famous soon enoughEllesse will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
good bowlers are important, but it's good batters who make the runs. Take away Warnie and McGrath, and we'd still be clocking 'em up.
So would the opposition without your two best bowlers.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

England's two best bowlers have been taken away - Giles and Anderson.

Of course cricket is about batting, bowling and fielding, pure and simple. Here's your starter for one - name one of these which England have been better at?

Perhaps the England attitude is best summed up in something which puzzled me when I first started watching English matches on TV in Australia. At the kickoff the commentator always said - Man Utd are defending the goal to the left, Chelsea are defending the goal to the left ............. I wondered why they didn't say attacking the goal to the right. Day 5, Adelaide, potentially winning position, lose a wicket, play defensively. Day 2 Adelaide 6/551 dec behind - we can still win this!

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

And here's an ironic twist. Remember the Australian 'Dad's Army' that was going to lose the Ashes this time because McGrath and half the team were too old? Well, it's now one of the official reasons why England lost!

"Meanwhile, the relatively old age of Australia's squad - cited by the British media as a reason England would retain the Ashes - has now been highlighted by a leading English official as the reason Flintoff's men lost the urn.

David Collier, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board, said experience had told the story. "We were slightly short of experience," Collier told The Guardian newspaper. "Australia were almost 10 years a man older than our side."

Full article - Feel sorry for Poms?:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/n...e#contentSwap1

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And here spaketh Geoffrey 'Michael Vaughan, my granny could bat better with stick of rhubarb' Boycott on the Ashes:

As usual he probably talks a lot of sense, it just tends to be the way he says it that causes problems, it looks better in print (reminds of the chap who rang the local Ramblers Association and this guy just went on and on and on).

http://www.theage.com.au/news/column...e#contentSwap1

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:11 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Let's Talk Cricket

Originally Posted by mr mover
Careful Hewitt is a born and bred south Australian, there were no convicts in south Australia. it was settled by free settlers ................... mm
You mustn't confuse them, they find it hard to think outside stereotypes.

Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Let's Talk Cricket

Guess again.

Nearly all of your boys were either caught or run out. Only three were clean bowled.

Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Let's Talk Cricket

Originally Posted by OzTennis
And here's an ironic twist. Remember the Australian 'Dad's Army' that was going to lose the Ashes this time because McGrath and half the team were too old? Well, it's now one of the official reasons why England lost!

"Meanwhile, the relatively old age of Australia's squad - cited by the British media as a reason England would retain the Ashes - has now been highlighted by a leading English official as the reason Flintoff's men lost the urn.

David Collier, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board, said experience had told the story. "We were slightly short of experience," Collier told The Guardian newspaper. "Australia were almost 10 years a man older than our side."

Full article - Feel sorry for Poms?:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/n...e#contentSwap1

OzTennis
LOL, quality! You just couldn't make this up!

Amazing how quickly the tune changes... but I guess it's "any port in a storm" right now.

This was also interesting:

Collier said a full review of England's tour would be conducted to garner lessons for the 2009 series. He said England should look to have their young players ready to reclaim the Ashes by then.

"We have eight to nine players who will still be around in 2009, and the Australians have only five or six," he said. "We had lost only one in 10 series before this and we're still No.2 in the world."
Compare it with the Australian mentality:

The team is unbeaten since the Ashes, winning their last 10 Tests on the trot, and Ponting has scored a mountain of runs to establish himself as one of the world's best batsmen.

"There was a burning passion within all the boys to make themselves better and make the team better," he said.

"I wasn't any more disappointed than the next guy in the dressing room at The Oval 15 months ago, but there's no doubt I've had a burning desire to be the best player I could be from that moment on and try and lead the team as well as I could."
ABC.

"We're still No. 2 in the world" vs. "I've had a burning desire to be the best player I could be from that moment on".

What a difference it makes.

Moral of the story: if you're competing at the highest level in international sport, you can't afford to be content with second best.