Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:41 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

I'm not against the gays getting married and believe that it should be recognised however marriage is very traditional and gays are very modern. I would've thought they'd like there own meaning given to them to celebrate the fact it is a same sex marriage a bit like indigenous Australians have their own name, flag ect. They are still Australian but celebrate it differently.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I'm not against the gays getting married and believe that it should be recognised however marriage is very traditional and gays are very modern. I would've thought they'd like there own meaning given to them to celebrate the fact it is a same sex marriage a bit like indigenous Australians have their own name, flag ect. They are still Australian but celebrate it differently.
So you just want to be part of a 'no gays' club?

How is being gay modern but being straight traditional? Modern marriage today seems to be 'stay married, if you like. Sample the rest of the menu if you get bored'. Should there be a different word for that?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in the West are tolerant of same-sex sexual relationships, but half of them draw the line at same-sex marriages. Why is that? Most people in the world probably couldn’t care less if siblings live together, but very few approve of sexual goings-on between or among them. Almost all of them would draw the line at non-sexual marriages between siblings. But why?

What is so special about marriage? It isn't all about children, in these sophisticated times. At least, not in the West, where promiscuity is blatant, adoptions are easy, artificial insemination is routine, divorces are simple, surgical sex-changes abound, birth control is everywhere, and serial monogamy is the norm. The old ideal of “the nuclear family” has gone out the window.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:26 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
So you just want to be part of a 'no gays' club?
How is being gay modern but being straight traditional? Modern marriage today seems to be 'stay married, if you like. Sample the rest of the menu if you get bored'. Should there be a different word for that?
Yeah coz you easily get that from what I wrote! All I'm saying is it'd be nice for same sex couples for them to celebrate it as its own thing it's like calling someone who is bisexual gay, when there not or not recognising the difference between genders itd be silly to have one name for everything

There is its called an open marriage

Last edited by Kelli28; Jun 29th 2015 at 11:32 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

however marriage is very traditional and gays are very modern.
Marriage can be quite modern too...that's probably why 70%+ and increasing all the time of marriages in Australia for example do not take place in a religious setting. So if 'traditional' = religious(?), then society has already taken care of the modernisation.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

marriage is very traditional and gays are very modern.
Really?

Give "Pride and Prejudice" a read sometime. 1800s and we are talking arranged marriages, with dowries, and 'a good match' having nothing to do with love, but instead cold hard cash. Wife becomes the husband's property.

Isn't that 'traditional'?

I get the feeling that much of the objection here is because 'marriage' as defined in a particular worldview, is concerned with the 'main sequence' of life. Grow up, go to school, get a job, find a boyfriend, get married, get a house, have kids, retire, die - it's one of those markers that says you are 'on the path' which you are supposed to hit by different ages. So if someone comes along and says "well actually it can be part of a different path entirely", or indeed "well you don't need it at all", it changes one of those markers and introduces some uncertainty into the worldview.

Well, that's my theory.

PS I think you'll find homosexuality stretches back longer than marriage does....
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah coz you easily get that from what I wrote! All I'm saying is it'd be nice for same sex couples for them to celebrate it as its own thing it's like calling someone who is bisexual gay, when there not or not recognising the difference between genders itd be silly to have one name for everything

There is its called an open marriage
Yes, I easily got that from what you wrote. What difference does it make if a word gets redefined? Does it devalue the word or the point? Or does it make no difference whatsoever when it's applied to recognise two people rather than just a man and a woman. If marriage is for life (traditionally), by your standards you can't call today's version marriage. Or should gays call it 'gay marriage' and not ever be allowed to call it 'marriage'? You would call and 'open marriage' a marriage wouldn't you?
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

PS I think you'll find homosexuality stretches back longer than marriage does....

Indeed. Homosexuality was a regular and completely accepted aspect of the classical civilisations such as Greece and Rome. It's certainly not a new thing.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Jun 30th 2015 at 2:04 am.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol....I think you could be right about that.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
You know I've always been curious about the Gays. Often wondered what it would be like. On all the movies they seem to have a great time. They have they're own pink bars and wear a lot of leather. The main thing that puts me off is all the Bronski beat and Communards songs that get played repeatedly. I like a bit of old fashioned rock and that doesn't seem to sit well in the Gay culture.
As a gay pal said to me once. ..... Men like shagging. When you throw a woman into the mix it just complicates the matter. It's far easier to be gay where everyone is from Venus.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
As a gay pal said to me once. ..... Men like shagging. When you throw a woman into the mix it just complicates the matter. It's far easier to be gay where everyone is from Venus.

Good observation, though I think that bi-sexual is probably the best of both worlds - why rule out half the population in either direction?

S
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Good observation, though I think that bi-sexual is probably the best of both worlds - why rule out half the population in either direction?

S
That is true. If you feel like a conversation option 1, if you don't feel like talking, option 2
Old Jun 30th 2015, 3:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That is true. If you feel like a conversation option 1, if you don't feel like talking, option 2
Surely by that reckoning the thai ladyboy would be the optimum solution - the looks of the lady, but with none of the nagging?

It's roughly for that reason I think when we finally get realistic robots, the women will be out of luck.

Old Jun 30th 2015, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely by that reckoning the thai ladyboy would be the optimum solution - the looks of the lady, but with none of the nagging?

It's roughly for that reason I think when we finally get realistic robots, the women will be out of luck.

Out of luck? Nah, just rid of a few a*@holes.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That makes me think of the credit rolls in the Inbetweeners 2 film.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.