Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's spice things up by resurrecting the Gay marriage debate

Gary and Gordon thanks for your points of view. It's nice not to be called a bigot because I don't agree with your point of view.

I don't really have much of an argument for my views except I just think it's wrong. To me Gays are just jealous and want marriage because they see other people with it.

Like I said earlier why don't they come up with their own word for it? They've already managed to change the word Gay. They are normally an artistic lot so I'm sure their imagination can figure it out.

Keel
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
Gary and Gordon thanks for your points of view. It's nice not to be called a bigot because I don't agree with your point of view.

I don't really have much of an argument for my views except I just think it's wrong. To me Gays are just jealous and want marriage because they see other people with it.

Like I said earlier why don't they come up with their own word for it? They've already managed to change the word Gay. They are normally an artistic lot so I'm sure their imagination can figure it out.

Keel

Because just coming up with a new word for something doesn't necessarily bring with it all of the legal rights and responsibilities that go with it.

I quite fancy a Peerage, but I'm not going to get one at the moment. If I magic up a new name for it - let's say a Pierage - and call myself Lorde Swerv-O of BE I still don't get go and sit in the House of Lords

S
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Lord Swerv-O of Chippendale I agree that they should have equality and whatever the new word is (?) should be recognised as such but what they're asking for, in my opinion, is not something they can have.

My daughters want a pony but it's not going to happen.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:59 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

To me Gays are just jealous and want marriage because they see other people with it.
Well, they want the tax and visitation, etc. rights - which is a little more than 'jealous'. And, as covered, marriage is a civil entity - there's really no point in having the same set of benefits, but giving it a different name to keep a bunch of people sweet who really don't have a reason for objecting in the first place - is it?

And finally, by trying to say a different term should be used, you are inherently discriminating in the truest sense of the word. You'd be on a better wicket to decide that those that have been divorced before can't then call themselves married again (personally I'd go with "bloody idiots, didn't you learn the first time").

As I said, it's marriage, same rights and hassles, so why wouldn't you use the same name?

And you DO know why they ended up with the word 'gay' don't you?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Gay? I think I might regret this.

Last edited by keel; Jun 29th 2015 at 4:10 am.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
As I said, it's marriage, same rights and hassles, so why wouldn't you use the same name?

Yeah, this is just splitting hairs. There are more important things to be worrying about what gay people call their civil unions.

S
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:10 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Gay?
Gay was a euphemism and an insult, which they then took to calling themselves to take the sting from the insult. They didn't pick it, those that were insulting them picked it.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Why didn't they just stick to queer. Honestly I can't work some folk out.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Why didn't they just stick to queer. Honestly I can't work some folk out.
Probably the influence of headline writers - gay is shorter.

And if I had to guess, I'd say the original insult was "fey", but an american didn't know what that meant.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

You know I've always been curious about the Gays. Often wondered what it would be like. On all the movies they seem to have a great time. They have they're own pink bars and wear a lot of leather. The main thing that puts me off is all the Bronski beat and Communards songs that get played repeatedly. I like a bit of old fashioned rock and that doesn't seem to sit well in the Gay culture.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:46 am
has lost The Game

You know I've always been curious about the Gays. Often wondered what it would be like. On all the movies they seem to have a great time. They have they're own pink bars and wear a lot of leather. The main thing that puts me off is all the Bronski beat and Communards songs that get played repeatedly. I like a bit of old fashioned rock and that doesn't seem to sit well in the Gay culture.

It really depends if you adhere to the stereotypes or just propagate them. I know many gay people that don't.

And remember that Rob Halford - lead singer of Judas Priest - is gay, and he certainly doesn't listen to the Communards.

S
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I just new you were going to mention Judas Priest. Not one of the bands I listen to but that's not because of the singer. I'm more your Kiss, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard type. Mind you Kiss wear all the makeup and leathers it's making me think a bit. In fact I bought tickets to see them in October in Perth for the full family.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 7:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I just new you were going to mention Judas Priest. Not one of the bands I listen to but that's not because of the singer. I'm more your Kiss, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard type. Mind you Kiss wear all the makeup and leathers it's making me think a bit. In fact I bought tickets to see them in October in Perth for the full family.
I've had (and have) many gay and transsexual friends over the years, both male and female. I've been to heavy rock concerts with the ones that like that sort of music, I've been to football matches with those that like football, I've been flying with my gay friend who is a British Airways pilot. I've got plastered with most of them, been clubbing, shared life stories, and learnt that there are gays in every walk of life, that like every kind of music, books, films etc. They are no different to anyone else as they can be found in every area. The only difference is their sexuality.

The mojority of gay people want marriage rights because they want to be the same as the rest of us. There are many reasons why people marry, for love, for support, for companionship, for friendship.........They just want the right to be the same. When we marry we get rights to pensions, life insurance, property, we become the next of kin automatically, we have the right to be consulted in life and death medical situations. We become legally the most important person in someone else's life. Why should we only be able to get that right through being straight?

We no longer live in a society that bases its legal decisions around Christian marriages. Many people gay or straight now opt for a civil marriage, and certainly in a Uk registry office that means no mention of any religious affiliation at all. Therefore if marriage is now a civil affair by default, why should it not be open to everyone?
If the church, Catholic or Protestant, chooses not to join in, so be it. Thats a different matter, one for the rulers of the church. But as far as civil marriage itself goes in mainstream society, it should be open and available to everyone.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

The main thing that puts you off isn't having sex with the same sex? You're obviously a massive gay.

Fair play to the US for recognizing equal rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.