British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Lesley Pearse/ Martina Cole (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/lesley-pearse-martina-cole-595579/)

isle Mar 5th 2009 10:34 am

Lesley Pearse/ Martina Cole

Hi all

As anyone read the latest Martina Cole - The Business , if so is it any good or is it like the rest, boring after chapter 2. woman married to bully, turns to drink etc etc etc.

I came across Lesley Pearse - Gypsy today, not sure if this is an old one or not, does sound familiar so not sure if it has just had a cover change.

Mrs Isle

Scrawni 2 Mar 5th 2009 10:52 am

Re: Lesley Pearse/ Martina Cole

I have read some of Martina's books and your right, man and woman fall in love, one of them turn to drink or drugs and the seedy side of life, someone ends up dead, the end!

My husband thinks all Dean Koonz (spelling??) novels are based on snow and snow storms!

moneypenny20 Mar 5th 2009 11:09 am

Hate Martina Cole books. I find them too disturbingly graphic in the drink/drug world and she doesn't make me believe or have interest in, the characters. She just seems to want to shock the reader.

Never read Lesley Pearse.

isle Mar 5th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 7347725)
Hate Martina Cole books. I find them too disturbingly graphic in the drink/drug world and she doesn't make me believe or have interest in, the characters. She just seems to want to shock the reader.

Never read Lesley Pearse.

Thanks for replies.

Just off to bed now, but keep them coming, have not had a thread on books in ages.

Nice to hear what people like to read.

Mrs Isle

Nat1971 Mar 5th 2009 10:20 pm

I'm reading the business at the moment. I think it's a good un, but a little hard to read in places (small child abuse) as obviously upsetting.

It's a bit different to her normal ones, but similar in other ways. I know what you're saying about her books being similar, but I still am a big fan of them. But I'd say the latest one is worth reading, but as I said, I do really like her books. ;)
This one focus's on one mother and her two kids, mother total scum, two kids grow up (one boy, goes into 'the business', martina's normal background stuff, and one girl, goes off the rails a bit, but is good at heart) etc etc

I've only got a few pages left, which I will read over the weekend.

Also, i've just found a Lesley Pearse one that i've had for ages, but haven't read, 'Trust me' about two children sent to an australian orphanage in the fifties. Anyone read that one, is it worth reading?

I find Tess Gerritsen quite good, I enjoyed 'vanish' 'whistleblower'

Another good one I read recently was 'The red Dahlia' by Lynda Leplante.

pioneer Mar 6th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Nat1971 (Post 7349685)
I'm reading the business at the moment. I think it's a good un, but a little hard to read in places (small child abuse) as obviously upsetting.

It's a bit different to her normal ones, but similar in other ways. I know what you're saying about her books being similar, but I still am a big fan of them. But I'd say the latest one is worth reading, but as I said, I do really like her books. ;)
This one focus's on one mother and her two kids, mother total scum, two kids grow up (one boy, goes into 'the business', martina's normal background stuff, and one girl, goes off the rails a bit, but is good at heart) etc etc

I've only got a few pages left, which I will read over the weekend.

Also, i've just found a Lesley Pearse one that i've had for ages, but haven't read, 'Trust me' about two children sent to an australian orphanage in the fifties. Anyone read that one, is it worth reading?

I find Tess Gerritsen quite good, I enjoyed 'vanish' 'whistleblower'

Another good one I read recently was 'The red Dahlia' by Lynda Leplante.

I've read Lesley Pearse and would recommend it!! Really good read.
Sharon

weebeastie Mar 6th 2009 7:52 pm

i am an avid reader...and lesley pearce "Trust Me " is a really good read...i read it years ago and:thumbsup: its one of my favourites..hope you enjoy it ..

hitchcock71 Mar 6th 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by isle (Post 7347654)
Hi all

As anyone read the latest Martina Cole - The Business , if so is it any good or is it like the rest, boring after chapter 2. woman married to bully, turns to drink etc etc etc.

I came across Lesley Pearse - Gypsy today, not sure if this is an old one or not, does sound familiar so not sure if it has just had a cover change.

Mrs Isle

gypsy is a new one - came out last yr - i thought it a bit boring really - not as good as trust me and remember me - but a good weekend book

Nat1971 Mar 6th 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by weebeastie (Post 7352452)
i am an avid reader...and lesley pearce "Trust Me " is a really good read...i read it years ago and:thumbsup: its one of my favourites..hope you enjoy it ..

Cheers, I will give it a go. :thumbsup:

isle Mar 7th 2009 12:28 am

Morning all,

Looks like I will wait for someone to loan me it (Martina Cole) or get it from the library. I used to love Martina Cole her earlier books are excellent, if you like Martina try Mandasue Heller it is like reading a Martina book before she got boring.

Gypsie is on sale at $10 from the local book shop so think i will get that, I
have read the rest of her books and think she is an excellent writer, trust me and father unknown, remember me are excellent.

Also a good book is called Kaitlyn author i am not not sure of i think it was
by the author who wrote THE KID ,,, john lewis well some thing lewis.
He has written 3 books, i read 2 before leaving the UK, so will check out the library for the 3rd one.

If you like to read and are coming over then bring your books as they are exspensive to buy here.

Mrs Isle